was E111, now UK GHIC

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonineaston

was E111, now UK GHIC

Post by simonineaston »

Does anyone have any experience to share of using this 'health card'?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Will

Re: was E111, now UK GHIC

Post by Will »

The E111 was replaced by the EHIC card around 2005.

I had to use my EHIC card in 2012 when I had an accident on tour and fractured by wrist in four places. I had to have surgery to insert a metal plate. I used my EHIC card when checking in to the hospital (in Bruges), and it was sufficient to commence treatment, though I did also have to contact my travel insurance company to get their agreement for the surgery.

The EHIC card covered some, but not all of my treatment, and I was sent a bill for the rest (which I then forwarded to my travel insurance company for payment). I then spent several months trying to get the insurance company to pay for the treatment and ended up being threatened with being taken to court to recover the outstanding bill. I think things would have been even more difficult if I hadn't used the EHIC card and was sent the bill for the whole treatment as the travel insurance company would probably have refused to pay the part that should have been covered by the EHIC.

The EHIC card is valid up until the expiry date on the card. After that you have to have a GHIC card.

I recently applied for a GHIC card as my EHIC card had expired. I still haven't received it after 3 weeks. You definitely need a EHIC/GHIC card AND travel insurance.

Will
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Wow, so sorry to hear about what must have been a painful experience. Thanks for comments about the cards.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I got my GHIC card some months ago ( I mistakenly thought that my EHIC had expired ).
tomsumner49

Post by tomsumner49 »

No experience of having to use an ehic/GHIC, but if you need a new GHIC don't leave it till the last minute. Mine took 5 weeks to arrive.
Tom
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I applied for one at the week-end, along with renewing my passport... I'll feedback in due course,in order to help others manage their expectations.
S
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Just received my GHIC. Turnaround 14 days. Now of course I hope I don't have to use it!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I had the impression that travel insurance within EHIC/GHIC coverage countries require you to have and use the cards.

My EHIC card still has some validity left and if I try and apply for a GHIC online it does not allow me to apply (says "your EHIC is still valid").

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Jul 2022, 7:33pm I had the impression that travel insurance within EHIC/GHIC coverage countries require you to have and use the cards.
Most do, but not all. Some ask and adjust the premium if not.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I have a GHIC.

I used my E111 a couple of times and the EHIC. Great support in Spain (twice)- one clinic after a crash and one hospital for plaster etc after I stuck my go foot down a rabbit hole- crash was off the bike and rabbit hole was just at end of cycle trip to Santander.Main expense (not big) was for crutches after I got the plaster as the Spanish hospital didn’t supply them. Stockholm children hospital with EHiC was good after one of the kids sprayed themselves with something or other in the eyes. Him indoors forgot his when in Croatia and got an infected tooth- I think minor injuries trip for antibiotics cost about 50 euro without his EHIC. Oh yes, and I forgot bronchitis in Italy for me when skiing……doctor was nice, antibiotics but skiing trip was wrecked for me.

Not tried the GHIC first but it feels inevitable at some point!
wheelyhappy99

Post by wheelyhappy99 »

Family camping holidays with adventurous young children resulted in several visits to hospitals in France and Luxemburg. Presenting the EHIC card meant we were treated on the same basis as residents of the country so far as admin was concerned. So I received bills for very modest amounts for x rays of whatever, sent to our UK address by the hospital admin people. Paying them without incurring heavy bank charges for non UK transfers was a pain. In a couple of cases I just sent the few Euros back in cash. What was most pleasing was how fast they got seen and treated, even on a Sunday afternoon in a small town facility.
jb

Post by jb »

What does the card prove that your passport doesn't? I've never understood why it's necessary, although I've had several E111 cards, thankfully never used.
Cheers
J Bro
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

It's possible to have a country X passport without actually being a country X resident and registered with its health system. So the GHIC is required separately from a passport.
jb

Post by jb »

Okay thanks, that would make sense pre web days but you'd think it unnecessary now.
Cheers
J Bro
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

In theory, yes. I would suspect that getting each country in the scheme to have a database of all it eligible residents and then shared access between each is not on any health ministers high priority list for reasons of cost and complexity and wails of data protection, etc.