Neil Oliver lidless

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
PedallingSquares

Re: Neil Oliver lidless

Post by PedallingSquares »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:20pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:17pm
al_yrpal wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 12:33pm Nick Crane is an iconic touring cyclist. Hes the man who hollowed out his toothbrush to save weight. :lol:
Al
Iconic?
I think that is over stretching it a bit.Until someone mentioned his umbrella I didn't have a clue who is is/was
Do you realise all this proves is your own ignorance? :lol:
Not really.I don't know who some old TV presenter is.This proves little.I have never heard of him being an iconic anything let alone cyclist.I vaguely remember watching some odd bloke riding a bike in the rain with a brolly so I googled him.He also hikes with a brolly too.
When was the last time he was actually on TV?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:54pm
Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:47pmI too have cut the handle of my toothbrush when i was so much younger and cutting down weight in my backpacking days.
Doesn't everyone? I have a picture somewhere of me doing this just N of the Arctic Circle before setting off on Kungsleden. But the children thought that I was still overloaded and transferred the whisky to one of their own packs.

Jonathan
The opposite syndrome used to be a feature of many CTC riders of old. Long ago, in about the C16th, I used to go out with the local CTC. I never took tools as I knew that at least one of them, but probably all ten, would have an extensive toolkit in their vast saddlebags (all Carradice duck with leather straps treated with neatsfoot oil). There would be headset presses, two spare tyres each to go with the four spare tubes and possibly some welding gear in case of a broken frame.

Well, I exaggerate a little ... but only a little. No wonder their average speed was 6.1 mph, not including the lengthy stops to adjust their brakes, tighten up the wheel bearings and get the gears to change once more.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:32pm Not really.I don't know who some old TV presenter is.This proves little.I have never heard of him being an iconic anything let alone cyclist.I vaguely remember watching some odd bloke riding a bike in the rain with a brolly so I googled him.He also hikes with a brolly too.
You must be young :D
Before TV we had books and took "A journey to the centre of the earth" ..
Not to be confused with a journey into space by Newcastle Brown.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In my teens I discovered that the flexible connector of a traditional bike pump could be used to replace the handle of a three-piece Gillette razor. I could have saved more weight on tour by not bothering to shave and nobody would have noticed. In any case, Jacques Anquetil soon started advertising Bic and I'd bought an Ad Hoc push-on pump. A dedicated follower of fashion
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:53pm In my teens I discovered that the flexible connector of a traditional bike pump could be used to replace the handle of a three-piece Gillette razor. I could have saved more weight on tour by not bothering to shave and nobody would have noticed. In any case, Jacques Anquetil soon started advertising Bic and I'd bought an Ad Hoc push-on pump. A dedicated follower of fashion
Wouldn't this depend on length of tour - beards must have significant weight after a few months?!?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 5:00pm
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:53pm In my teens I discovered that the flexible connector of a traditional bike pump could be used to replace the handle of a three-piece Gillette razor. I could have saved more weight on tour by not bothering to shave and nobody would have noticed. In any case, Jacques Anquetil soon started advertising Bic and I'd bought an Ad Hoc push-on pump. A dedicated follower of fashion
Wouldn't this depend on length of tour - beards must have significant weight after a few months?!?
And poor aero (hairo)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Antbrewer wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 3:27pm Yes I know Nick Crane is cyclist and walker etc etc. I read all books years ago when he was with his cousin Richard and enjoyed them. However this thread developed into people and presenters and styles etc and he just gets on my wick with his style and umbrella. Sorry.x

Can't believe you have had your ebike as long as you have Al as I believe it was on my comments that you went for yours.
Anthony
Anthony, if it was you who had hired an Ortler in Austria and liked and recommended it that prompted me to order one. As it happens I have never looked back, a really well made trouble free bike. Summer of 2019 I think

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 5:00pm
In those days, I could probably have toured for years before it could have been dignified by the expression "beard."
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Yep that was me Al.
I have had a Cannondale synapse Neo 1 for the last two yrs. Certainly helps my late onset asthma

Still find Mr Crane and many others a pain in the neck!
jb

Post by jb »

I found Adam Rutherford a good presenter as well as Jim Al Khalili. I liked Neil Oliver when he first popped up.

The problem is keeping the youths micro attention span and as the beeb have a remit to introduce them to more science they have to resort to effects and sensationalism to make it stick. Which is why Brian Cox likes to blow bubbles in some remote corner of a desert to explain the big bang followed by another exploding balloon full of hydrogen just to drive the point home.
Cheers
J Bro
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
mattheus wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:20pm
PedallingSquares wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:17pm
Iconic?
I think that is over stretching it a bit.Until someone mentioned his umbrella I didn't have a clue who is is/was
Do you realise all this proves is your own ignorance? :lol:
Not really.I don't know who some old TV presenter is.This proves little.I have never heard of him being an iconic anything let alone cyclist.I vaguely remember watching some odd bloke riding a bike in the rain with a brolly so I googled him.He also hikes with a brolly too.
Nick Crane worked in the touring department of the CTC. I have a letter from him dated October 1976 responding to my query about touring in Norway. He also co-authored with Christa Gausden 'The CTC Route Guide to Cycling in Britain and Ireland' (Oxford Illustrated Press 1980; Penguin Books 1981).

Iconic cycle tourist? Yes, absolutely. TV presenters are not the only people determining how their programmes are put together.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

The majority of telly presenters appear to be the sort of person who think they are interesting enough to warrent their being thrust head first, into the lives of millions of strangers and assume they will be welcome - ie they have an ego the size of a London bus!
Radio presenters seem to be cut from a different cloth, thank goodness...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 8:11pm I'd always thought of him as an excellent television presenter on subjects about which he was well informed. Then I saw some lurid opinions about Scottish independence. And then, much to my surprise, he started spouting conspiracy theories about the COVID outbreak and some dangerous nonsense about vaccination. I haven't checked the details but I've also recently heard that he's up to the same sort of thing about the invasion of Ukraine.

Very disappointing.

Jonathan
I'd never heard of the fellow but recognised him after a quick google. Watched a couple of short you tube clips on 'Anglophobia' and something about injecting children with the Covid vaccine. Must say, I couldn't find anything 'disappointing' in what he had to say. He was voicing an opinion, not much wrong with that!!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

SimonCelsa wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 9:20pm
Jdsk wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 8:11pm I'd always thought of him as an excellent television presenter on subjects about which he was well informed. Then I saw some lurid opinions about Scottish independence. And then, much to my surprise, he started spouting conspiracy theories about the COVID outbreak and some dangerous nonsense about vaccination. I haven't checked the details but I've also recently heard that he's up to the same sort of thing about the invasion of Ukraine.

Very disappointing.

Jonathan
I'd never heard of the fellow but recognised him after a quick google. Watched a couple of short you tube clips on 'Anglophobia' and something about injecting children with the Covid vaccine. Must say, I couldn't find anything 'disappointing' in what he had to say. He was voicing an opinion, not much wrong with that!!
Perhaps your opinion weighing scales need recalibration? :-) Generally, one likes to "weigh" the propositions from which the opinions are generated, as well as the process that moves from those propositions to the opinion conclusion. Many propositions weigh heavily with experience whilst others are constructed of mad-gas and weight close to nothing!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

To be frank, I've never heard of "Neil Oliver".
Also, to be frank, I don't care.
Mick F. Cornwall