Tips for track-stands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DareDemon666

Tips for track-stands

Post by DareDemon666 »

Just a quick one really. Wondering if anyone has any tips for learning how to track stand?

I've been cycling ever since I was a kiddo and as such my balance on a moving bike is pretty good. I'm no gymnast or anything but I can sit up in the saddle no hands for a while without worrying about it as most experienced riders can.

However when it comes to track stands, I simply can't do it. Doesn't matter what I try I never get more than 2 or 3 seconds before my balance goes completely. I've tried using brakes, not using brakes, left foot forwards, right foot forwards, bars left, bars right, looking at the ground, looking at the wheel, looking at the horizon. No matter what I just can't seem to stay up on the bike when I'm stopped - let alone as perfectly still as some people can manage.

I've been told it's a good idea to practice on a gentle incline and then go for flat ground, but haven't got around to that yet.

So, anyone got any advice? Or am I doomed to un-clipping at every red light for eternity? :D
tatanab

Re: Tips for track-stands

Post by tatanab »

Front wheel pointing up a slight slope (camber), and on fixed.

However, I see no possible reason on the public highway. Without track standing I am still able to move away as fast or faster than those attempting one.

For the ultimate in track standing, this is the way to do it. Note, nobody is using their hands.
oswestry 3.JPG
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

A stationary track stand is actually impossible on 100% flat land unless you're on a fixed gear, got a strong breeze to push you back or use a foot to pull the top of the front wheel back (which precludes mudguards and, in your case means unclipping anyway). You always need to be able to move to keep balance, even if as people get really good at it that movement becomes smaller and smaller. If you're on the flat or downhill you'll need to stop far enough back to allow enough foward rolling space for your own ability level and the time left for the lights to go green.

But mostly, like any of these things, it's just lots of practice.

(and I'm rubbish at it :lol: )
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

GCN have a few videos on it, eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFtS4KYxz9k

You can also learn indoors if you've got a big enough room, ideally with a wooden or stone floor and instead of using a gradient, turn the wheel into the wall and sort of bump it against that.
If there was a football on the ground and you went to do a penalty kick, which foot would you use?
If you were snowboarding / surfing / skateboarding etc, which foot would you have forwards?

That's your dominant foot and it's usually easier to have that forwards when trackstanding. Then work out which way it's easier having the wheel. Ideal world, you should be able to do it both ways but turning the bars to the right is my preferred option, if only because riding on the left it's usually turning into the camber of the road. Just watch that your toes don't clip the back of the wheel, that's a quick and messy way to end a trackstand!
tatanab wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 12:15pm However, I see no possible reason on the public highway. Without track standing I am still able to move away as fast or faster than those attempting one.
I find I'm out in the distance as other riders are still trying to clip in. Also much less wear on cleats and pedals.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Unless you're on a fixie, the trick is to just ride as slow as possible.
Once it gets slow enough, it looks like you're track standing.
So change how you think about it.
You don't try to fully stop, you just creep forward very slowly.

Luck .......... :D
Last edited by Tigerbiten on 19 Aug 2022, 12:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The rules for track standing (referred to in the UCI rules as "standstills") have been considerably tightened up both to avoid interference with commercial breaks and to accommodate spectators with less attention span than gnats. I had to look it up it be sure of the current rules but "standstills" now seem to be the quickest way to get disqualified.
3.2.039 The rider on the inside of the track, unless overtaken, shall lead at least at walking
pace and make no manoeuvre to force his opponent through until reaching the pursuit
line on the opposite side of the track. A maximum of two standstills shall be permitted
for each race. The maximum period for a standstill shall be 30 seconds following
which, the leading rider shall be directed by the starter to continue. If he fails to do so,
the starter shall stop the race and declare the other rider the winner of the heat. In a
three or four-up race, the race shall be immediately rerun as a two or three-up race,
without the relegated rider
https://assets.ctfassets.net/761l7gh5x5 ... -PIS-E.pdf
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You can do it on a bike with a freewheel but you need to be on some sort of slight slope (sometimes the road camber is enough). Best to practice somewhere quiet- not on a public road if possible. Have your pedals at a quarter to three on a clock face and just apply enough pressure on the front pedal to stop yourself rolling backwards.

I used to be quite good at it, but haven’t practiced for a while, so I’ve probably lost the knack.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Fixed it has to be imho, when I used to do it I actually 'hoverred' my feet, ie barely perceptible back and forward pressure.
And I agree you do need a bit of a slope to pull it off .
It's me in the Purple on the trike photo. Piece of cake on a trike !!
DareDemon666

Post by DareDemon666 »

Thanks for all the tips gang!

Yes I suppose one solution would be a tricycle :D Do you reckon they make stabilisers from carbon fibre these days?

My reasoning is mostly for convenience, however there is an element of safety involved. I find often times when I'm commuting, I might give myself a quick start with half a crank, but then don't quite clip in resulting in me slowing down which is unexpected. A lot of times this has meant some impatient driver has ended up 'right up my buttock' (for lack of a better term) while I try to stop the pedal spinning and clip in. If I never had to unclip, I'd never have to worry that one of these days said impatient driver may also be just too inattentive and I end up with their car quite literally right up my buttock.

The foot thing is tricky for me as I'm definitely left-footed (i.e. kick with it, more comfortable balancing on it, etc) yet I lead with my right on a skateboard or surfboard or whatever. Thanks for the link, I'll have a look!

The UCI rules, though interesting, might be a little irrelevant for a 115kg rider - especially when most of that is beer belly :D Jokes aside though, I've never competed and I doubt I ever will, just doesn't interest me. I ride my bike for the fun of it, not to win shiny bits of metal.

What I'm getting so far then is: Find a slight gradient. Have almost equal weight over both pedals, dominant foot forwards and with slightly more weight. And like anything, practice practice practice.

Thanks again for all the tips, I'll give it a shot and keep on it.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

DareDemon666 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 1:18pm I've never competed and I doubt I ever will, just doesn't interest me. I ride my bike for the fun of it, not to win shiny bits of metal.
Therefore the answer to clipping in quickly is double sided SPD style pedals. It is 20 years since the snobbery that looked down on their use on "road" bikes.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

tatanab wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 2:01pm Therefore the answer to clipping in quickly is double sided SPD style pedals. It is 20 years since the snobbery that looked down on their use on "road" bikes.
Absolutely this for commuting! Easier to clip in when (eg) pushing off from lights and MTB shoes are also far easier to walk the bike into the office! ;-)
DareDemon666 wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 1:18pm Thanks again for all the tips, I'll give it a shot and keep on it.
With reference to the pedals, while you're trying it / learning etc, it's useful to fit flat pedals or just use trainers on the road pedals rather than be clipped in. Once you can do it for more than a few seconds, clip in but set the tension quite loose so it's easy to unclip again.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tigerbiten wrote: 19 Aug 2022, 12:55pm Unless you're on a fixie, the trick is to just ride as slow as possible.
Once it gets slow enough, it looks like you're track standing.
So change how you think about it.
You don't try to fully stop, you just creep forward very slowly.

Luck .......... :D
+1

Absolutely!
Mick F. Cornwall
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Slow races used to be popular at cycle rallies, the winner being the last one to cross the line. Some riders were so skilled at standing virtually still that a rule was introduced banning the slightest backwards movement when "rocking" on a fixed wheel. This kept the race from taking up too much time

I had a friend who commuted from Kingston to central London and reckoned he never unclipped on the way. i never witnessed this but seeing him riding can well believe it.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I read that the great Marshal (Major) Taylor was track standing with his opponent at the start of a track pursuit with nobody taking off. He started slowly going backwards thus provoking his opponent to set off. The Major won. It was about the turn of the 20th century so the rules have probably changed somewhat :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Its a more useful skill than 'no hands' or the wheelies the local yoof seem to think is clever!

Its quite a while since i've ridden fixed, i was quite adept at one time. These days, on gears i don't do it so often, as others have suggested its more of a slow creep than standing still although i've never thought about how i do it! back in my club riding days, it was regular to be in a group doing a 'stand at traffic lights. junctions, you really didn't want to muck up in that situation!

My tip is a more general bike handling thing, you can do this on almost any flat area, practice riding slowly and making the tightest 360 + 90 degree turns you can, it will improve your balance skills no end.

Its sad to see how poor many riders bike handling skills are, you don't need to be a circus performer to benefit from a few simple skills.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!