Bafang feeble walk mode. Fix??

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
tenbikes

Bafang feeble walk mode. Fix??

Post by tenbikes »

My Bafang mid drive has a walk mode but it is so feeble that it is pretty worthless. Much slower than walking, and no umph for an incline, let alone a long steep hill.

Anyone know if there is a software fix for this and where I can be done?
rjb

Re: Bafang feeble walk mode. Fix??

Post by rjb »

i had an issue with my tongsheng mid drive recently. It sounded like a mechanical failure internal to the motor. Turned out to be a software problem with the battery management system which required a reset. This involved charging the battery at the ouptput teminals before reverting to normal charging. :wink:
Of course your problem may be different but worth trying this first.

https://evbaron.com/how-to-do-a-bms-res ... s%20normal.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

I suspect it is a software issue.
It may not be a fault as such because the bike is exceptionally heavy. [Fat cargo bike].

I think it needs reprogramming to give a bit more umph but I have no idea if this is possible or where/who could do it.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I have the same problem with my Bafang. I don't think it's a fault though. It's to assist when walking along with your bike.
The problem I had was getting my 30kg bike up the 20 or so steps to my front door.
My solution was to tweak the software. You'll need a usb cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bafang-Program ... HJ1ZQ&th=1 (there are cheaper ones available) and the bafang software. There are numerous places online to download this but it's like hunting for a pink elephant in my experience. There is an easier way which is to hook up your motor to an android phone (with said cable)and use the Speed app available on the Google app store .I don't know if it's available for iphones.
You can basically alter one of the 9 PAS settings to run at a much lower speed and power. I have mine set to 50% power and 45% speed. Using the throttle and my lowest gear (40t chainring 36t cassette) it'll roll up any incline with full panniers at around 3.5 mph. I have my throttle right next to my left brake lever.
Screenshot_20220820_002147_com.mkopa.speeed.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

That's interesting, but you are using the throttle.

My walk mode uses a long push on the PAS controller ( the minus button) then it is hands free. This is helpful off road as I can wrestle with the bike using both hands .
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Hmm, when I take my finger off the minus button walk mode ceases straight away.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

My Tongsheng walk mode drives through the gears....so the higher the gear, the quicker I walk!
rjb

Post by rjb »

531colin wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 11:45am My Tongsheng walk mode drives through the gears....so the higher the gear, the quicker I walk!
Have you tried riding it in walk mode. No pedalling required. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rjb wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 1:29pm
531colin wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 11:45am My Tongsheng walk mode drives through the gears....so the higher the gear, the quicker I walk!
Have you tried riding it in walk mode. No pedalling required. :wink:
No, I didn't try that....but I imagine I will!
CJ

Post by CJ »

tenbikes wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 10:33am My walk mode uses a long push on the PAS controller ( the minus button) then it is hands free. This is helpful off road as I can wrestle with the bike using both hands .
Sounds like you may be using walk mode whilst sitting on the bike, rather than walking beside it. That may explain why you find it rather feeble!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

CJ wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 2:27pm
tenbikes wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 10:33am My walk mode uses a long push on the PAS controller ( the minus button) then it is hands free. This is helpful off road as I can wrestle with the bike using both hands .
Sounds like you may be using walk mode whilst sitting on the bike, rather than walking beside it. That may explain why you find it rather feeble!
No, walking at the side...