Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

Jdsk

Re: Grant Shapps panders to The Mail

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:17pm Grant is out. Truss is a champion of cycling, and is often seen cycling in Hunstanton, Wells ,and Sheringham .She used to get Cromer crabs, when in season.
"Liz Truss "looking forward to working with cycling community" and will build new infrastructure, supporters claim":
https://road.cc/content/news/liz-truss- ... ing-295549

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:35pm
mumbojumbo wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:17pm Grant is out. Truss is a champion of cycling, and is often seen cycling in Hunstanton, Wells ,and Sheringham .She used to get Cromer crabs, when in season.
"Liz Truss "looking forward to working with cycling community" and will build new infrastructure, supporters claim":

Jonathan
That's not truss. It's her "team", ie PR wonks. All those quotes are just bla.
Sweep
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:35pm "Liz Truss "looking forward to working with cycling community" and will build new infrastructure, supporters claim":

Jonathan
I will believe it when I see it.
Did not Johnson promise a "golden age for cycling"?
And John Prescott said
"I will have failed if in five years time there are not...far fewer journeys by car. It's a tall order but I urge you to hold me to it."[
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
awavey

Post by awavey »

Mike Sales wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 8:05pm
Jdsk wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:35pm "Liz Truss "looking forward to working with cycling community" and will build new infrastructure, supporters claim":

Jonathan
I will believe it when I see it.
Did not Johnson promise a "golden age for cycling"?
well compared to how the next few years might go, it may well have turned out to be. Im not convinced Liz Truss will be putting as much emphasis on getting the nation cycling as Boris tried to, and neither will Shapps replacement Anne-Marie Trevelyan.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

I think the record of the person Truss has put in charge of climate policy tells us what the governments attitude to the environment will be.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I still don't think voters have worked out the extent to which these people use the media to front their campaigns. They have a whole host of experts telling them exactly how much and what to say in order to keep the electorate complient and under theri thumb. What they tell us about and the carrots they dangle in front of us bears little, if any, relation to the deeper, more serious nature of their policies & their ambitions.
We've been taken for fools for decades and yet still show no sign of grasping the severity of the situtation.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 11:50am I still don't think voters have worked out the extent to which these people use the media to front their campaigns. They have a whole host of experts telling them exactly how much and what to say in order to keep the electorate complient and under theri thumb. What they tell us about and the carrots they dangle in front of us bears little, if any, relation to the deeper, more serious nature of their policies & their ambitions.
We've been taken for fools for decades and yet still show no sign of grasping the severity of the situtation.
I can't point to any numbers but I believe the age profile of the typical active voter is growing older, which is partly why a lot of policies are aimed at keeping us oldies sweet, even if they are dressed up as heling the poorest in society. There may come a time when the disaffection of younger people is expressed more robustly. Many of those "younger people" are now into middle age.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

simonhill wrote: 5 Sep 2022, 8:12amif cycling was obligatory for kids then there would be a massive upswell from the populace (parents) to make the roads safer.
Or to thwart the policy.
mumbojumbo wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:17pmTruss is a champion of cycling
She's being backed by climate change deniers.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 11:50am I still don't think voters have worked out the extent to which these people use the media to front their campaigns. They have a whole host of experts telling them exactly how much and what to say in order to keep the electorate complient and under theri thumb. What they tell us about and the carrots they dangle in front of us bears little, if any, relation to the deeper, more serious nature of their policies & their ambitions.
quite - remember Cameron's green love-in? Brief as it was.
Many just jump on whatever seems to be trending this very millisecond on social media.
The most laughable recent example of this was of course from Boris. Who else?
Labelled Putin's invasion as an example of "toxic masculinity".
Sweep