ICE Adventure recumbent trike - where to position a bell

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
PAB855

ICE Adventure recumbent trike - where to position a bell

Post by PAB855 »

Where did you position your bell?

Did you find it easy or difficult to find a suitable place where it's easy to operate?

The one shown is operated by the index finger, not the thumb!

Many failed attempts preceded this.

Bring them on
Attachments
20220728_153912.jpg
20220728_153847.jpg
Psamathe

Re: ICE Adventure recumbent trike - where to position a bell

Post by Psamathe »

Do you have those horizontal mirror mount bars. Looks like you have at least one (left edge of 1st photo) but it has something on it. On my Sprint X Tour I have such mounts both sides (as I have mirrors both sides) and bell mounts on one of those. If you have only one, ICE do sell them as an accessory (the mounting bar only, you don't need to buy mirror as well).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

nb TerraCycle also do similar mounting bars but I've never found a source in the UK and from overseas (even from e.g. Icletta, DE) shipping adds a lot of cost making ICE ones cheaper.

Ian
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for your comments Ian.

Unfortunately for reasons of disability my wife is reluctant to let go of the steerer bars, although she can do it to signal if she concentrates.

We have both right and left mirrors and they are the most efficient ' won't ever slacken no matter what' mirrors. ' Mirrcycle?

The bonus with this position is that the bell remains in the same position relative to the hand at all times. It remains well out of the way of the hand which rests below it and doesn't interfere with the brake lever.

I've just spotted the bottle cage in the photo, also for easier access. The magic of cable ties.

Since her stroke which led to a balance problem, the trike has been a way to freedom. I've had to innovate in various ways. A previous Pashley Tri -1 upright trike had 40 cable ties for various reasons. Most were removed when it was passed on and left no signs. Those and leftover parts from a TV ariel, nothing is thrown away.

Anyway, maybe my idea could be of some help to someone else. I hope I haven't wasted your time but I was trying to keep my posting brief and it does tend to lead to misunderstandings. Thanks again.

Cheers
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PAB855 wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 9:44pm Thanks for your comments Ian.

Unfortunately for reasons of disability my wife is reluctant to let go of the steerer bars, although she can do it to signal if she concentrates.
Sorry, I mis-interpreted your post (which was clear, I misinterpreted), thinking you were asking for ideas as to where to poistion a bell. But I guess I answered anyway.

Ian
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

No need to apologise, I understand perfectly
hercule

Post by hercule »

I have seen electronic bells with a separate switch to operate ( I think on Amazon)… that might be an option?
Grldtnr

Post by Grldtnr »

On my AZUB I have a large 'Dinger donger' bell , mounted just below the brake lever , convenient to operate with the thumb, for those who feign to hear that,bi have a 'Hornit' electronic horn ,a piercing shriek, very loud, for those who ignore that, I just shout an invective of various kind,, dependant on the situation.
I used to have an Airzounds horn, but some find the trigger button irresistible, I deleted it in the end, of the 3 I found the Airzounds most effective.
A laid back, low down, layabout recumbent triker!
sharpedge

Post by sharpedge »

I mounted the bell on the right side where I use it instead of a wrist rest (I have a large indian old style bell). On the left I moved the parking brake lever so it was easier to reach and serve as a wrist rest. Has worked well for over four years now!