When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
markymarksyncro

Re: When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Post by markymarksyncro »

Is there any further update on this?
Looking to travel back from Paris to London via Calais and note all the good information above however it looks like there are only two (slow) trains per day, then ferry, then another train from Dover.
Trying to do the Avenue Vert over a weekend.
Eurostar claim to be reviewing this in September?? But if its a customs issue?? Does anyone think they will be carrying bikes by Mon 3rd October?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

markymarksyncro wrote: 9 Sep 2022, 3:19pm? Does anyone think they will be carrying bikes by Mon 3rd October?
Whilst anything’s possible it does seem highly unlikely.

The alternative route is unquestionably slower but if you get an early train from Paris you can get to London by early evening
MelW

Post by MelW »

If you have a folding bike eg Brompton then there is no problem taking it on the Eurostar, TGV or indeed any train?
CJ

Post by CJ »

MelW wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:55pm If you have a folding bike eg Brompton then there is no problem taking it on the Eurostar, TGV or indeed any train?
If you have a very compact folding bike, just like a Brompton, and a bag for it, then no problem. And whilst I have done a bit of touring with a Brompton, it was a very different kind of tour: indeed more with a bike than on it.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

st599_uk wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 9:10pm Another update:
We’re hoping to relaunch our bike service in mid-May. Due to changes to customs rules post-Brexit, we won’t be able to offer a full service at first. Instead, we’ll launch a limited service for fully assembled bikes or disassembled bikes in your own bag on selected trains between Paris and London. We’re working hard to agree a formal process for registered luggage with the authorities from each country we operate in.
Brexit the gift that keeps on giving. Why did anyone vote to make it more difficult to take your bicycle to Europe? Maybe a Brexiter would care to enlighten us.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

CJ wrote: 18 Sep 2022, 9:53am
MelW wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 10:55pm If you have a folding bike eg Brompton then there is no problem taking it on the Eurostar, TGV or indeed any train?
If you have a very compact folding bike, just like a Brompton, and a bag for it, then no problem. And whilst I have done a bit of touring with a Brompton, it was a very different kind of tour: indeed more with a bike than on it.
Bromptons are greatly improved by replacing the bendy m style bars ( even the modern shallow version) with something more rigid, but I still avoid pulling up on said bars when climbing: to protect the frame, but I can now climb hills much easier, standing on the pedals(without pulling upwards) as necessary. However wheel-on ordinary bike storage woukd be nice. The iep800 vertical bike storage translates as bring Brompton instead to me.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

What about Rinko bags, like they have in Japan? Look them up, but they are just a cover - you take the front wheel off, zip it up, and carry it. Your bike is covered so nobody gets grease on them. What can anybody say about that? It is just a bag you are carrying.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Ayseven wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 4:41pm What about Rinko bags, like they have in Japan? Look them up, but they are just a cover - you take the front wheel off, zip it up, and carry it. Your bike is covered so nobody gets grease on them. What can anybody say about that? It is just a bag you are carrying.
Max length of a bag on Eurostar is 85cm - the wheelbase on mine is about 110, so even with both wheels off, it wouldn't fit in the luggage space.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

All the rinko I have seen is a bit more than just the front wheel off. It's a much fuller disassembly.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

simonhill wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 8:34pm All the rinko I have seen is a bit more than just the front wheel off. It's a much fuller disassembly.
I'd need to saw off the chainstays to get it under the maximum length. Unfortunately, unlike ordinary trains, Eurostar check each bag, and can easily see if it's oversized as it won't fit in the box that goes on the conveyor belt.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Winders

Post by Winders »

Between rinko and a Brompton, there are other folding/packable bike options available that will fit into Eurostar’s 85cm maximum dimension. Full size wheels on Change Bikes or Montagues, 24” wheels on Airnimals, 20” wheels on Bike Fridays, Moultons, Dahons, Terns and about every other standard folder out there.

Some of those will tour easier than others, but if you’ve got the spare parts in a Change Bike frame might do the job taking a diamond framed bike with full sized wheels on Eurostar.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

You can claim returned goods relief if you exported using an official Duplicate List - but you'd have needed to stamp that on the way out of the UK.

This is the issue preventing Eurostar carrying bikes - you are not there at the time the bikes go through customs, therefore a Carnet or Duplicate list is needed
This from another thread seems to say indicate that Eurostar will not be accepting unpacked bikes any time soon.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Winders wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:41am Between rinko and a Brompton, there are other folding/packable bike options available that will fit into Eurostar’s 85cm maximum dimension.
Letting the train dictate the bike type for a tour does stink, though.

Thanks again, Leave voters(!)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

mjr wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 12:40pm ....

What has whatever choice a person made in the 2016 referendum got to do with that? Anyway, is this (cycling) forum not open to all political flavours? Would it be improved by people stuffing their posts with "Thanks again, <Labour/liberal democrat /Conservative/Remainer/Green/ etc voters(!) delete as appropriate> "
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:53pm
mjr wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 12:40pm ....

What has whatever choice a person made in the 2016 referendum got to do with that?
Read the post above mine. The difficulty taking bikes on Eurostar is being blamed directly on the customs border introduced by the result of the 2016 vote.

Yes, all political views are welcome but it's not party political and people need to accept if they voted for this, making cycle touring more difficult.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.