A humbling cycle ride

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Jon in Sweden

A humbling cycle ride

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I had a great 101km ride yesterday morning with a chap from our village who has competed internationally in triathlon and recently did a full Ironman in SE Sweden in just under 10hrs.

I planned a route for us that took us through most of the larger climbs in the area. It's not particularly hilly where we are, but some of the climbs are over 100m bottom to top.

I'm not so long back in the saddle after many years off, but it was amusing and humbling to get dropped on each and every climb and for me to be on my limit and for him just to be pootling along!

Up to now, I've only really been out with guys who I'm faster than, but it was brilliant to have a morning of full on effort and to be reminded that I still have a long way to go :D

This was my route and I got round an average 29.1kph.

peetee

Re: A humbling cycle ride

Post by peetee »

Ah, welcome to my world. I’m of the age when most would just cycle for leisure but I still have a competitive spirit.
My regular fast ride partners are dynamos with more genetically-gifted power than I could ever hope to work my sorry frame up to. Riding single speed with them is a lesson in wheel following that doesn’t seem to get any easier - but hard as it is, I get a real buzz from it. I do know that there is no better way to improve. Riding solo just can’t achieve the same results.
Peetee. my cycling is:
Motivated by the Peace and Tranquility
Motorised by the Pies and Trifle
and weak tea, of course...what did YOU think? :shock:
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

peetee wrote: 11 Sep 2022, 12:40pm Ah, welcome to my world. I’m of the age when most would just cycle for leisure but I still have a competitive spirit.
My regular fast ride partners are dynamos with more genetically-gifted power than I could ever hope to work my sorry frame up to. Riding single speed with them is a lesson in wheel following that doesn’t seem to get any easier - but hard as it is, I get a real buzz from it. I do know that there is no better way to improve. Riding solo just can’t achieve the same results.
It's definitely a great way to get faster. There is no way I'd be pushing quite that hard by myself. My Garmin has only once before suggested a 4 day recovery time. It did again yesterday.

I just wish I wasn't quite so far out of his league - it'd be nice to be able to push him a bit harder, but hopefully I can improve enough to do that.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Without contours hard to assess terrain.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

mumbojumbo wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 8:52am Without contours hard to assess terrain.
The profile under the map goes some way to showing the overall terrain.

OP keep at it.It's the only way and as demoralising as it can be,riding with stronger/faster riders is the best way to improve!
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

You can see it is uneven ,but could be Mendips ,Massif Central or Matterhorn.-who can tell?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

mumbojumbo wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 6:57pm You can see it is uneven ,but could be Mendips ,Massif Central or Matterhorn.-who can tell?
Its south Sweden, think Norfolk but with more trees!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!