CTC direct debit

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: CTC direct debit

Post by PH »

Now received an email saying the issue has been resolved and they'll be processing refunds.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

PH wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 4:09pm Now received an email saying the issue has been resolved and they'll be processing refunds.
That's part of the issue that I have with them. They should have been refunding each incorrect DD as they occurred not waiting till they worked out what went wrong and I bet we won't get to know what that was.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

The payment process has recently been managed by Stripe a "leading financial management system"
The AUK forum also refers to a problem with Stripe
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PH wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 2:40pm
AndyK wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 2:12pm TC is talking about the processing of the payments.
So was I. The payment process has recently been managed by Stripe a "leading financial management system"

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/faqs- ... ms-upgrade
You said "It's only recently been outsourced, after several years in-house, since the last time the third party providers messed it up...". It was management of the membership admin that used to be outsourced but was then brought back in-house. Payment processing can't (and couldn't) be done in-house. The actual transfer of money between bank accounts has to be done for you by a financial institution one way or the other.
PH

Post by PH »

AndyK wrote: 21 Sep 2022, 12:57am . Payment processing can't (and couldn't) be done in-house. The actual transfer of money between bank accounts has to be done for you by a financial institution one way or the other.
From the previous link:

"Staff at Cycling UK spend a lot of administration time manually checking, correcting and processing payments and Direct Debits. Many of these processes will all be automated via Stripe which will free up our time to focus on other activities, including better servicing our members. "

Do you think "outsourcing" was the wrong description for the above?
Maybe it is, but what used to be managed by CUK staff is now done by Stripe.

I'm aware that it was the entire membership management that used to be outsourced, did that not include payments? That's certainly what was being blamed when mine went wrong.

Feel free to clarify what I've written, but so far I haven't seen anything that needs correcting.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Do they still take cheques?
gaz

Post by gaz »

thirdcrank wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 9:56am I think it's right that the customer is covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee although I've been unable to find an online copy of its terms.
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct-de ... guarantee/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 3:31pm
thirdcrank wrote: 20 Sep 2022, 9:56am I think it's right that the customer is covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee although I've been unable to find an online copy of its terms.
https://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct-de ... guarantee/
Thanks for going to the trouble to dig that out and to link to it.

I think the bit I was trying to say is this:
It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation
I suppose that so long as the customer is being (temporarily) overcharged - as seems to be the case here - then there should be no contractual problems eg a missing insurance premium when there's a claim.
PH

Post by PH »

All sorted now. I received an email a couple of days ago with an explanation and apology, plus the course of action being taken to rectify, plus who to contact if I'd incurred any additional bank charges. Just checked and the overpayments have been returned, better for it not to have happened of course, but if that's the worse thing happens to me this month I'll consider myself lucky.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

They took an unauthorised £10 from me on 31st August. I have not yet had it refunded. As soon
as they do, I will cancel my direct debit and make further payments by cheque.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

De Sisti wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:39pm They took an unauthorised £10 from me on 31st August. I have not yet had it refunded. As soon
as they do, I will cancel my direct debit and make further payments by cheque.
I haven't had a cheque book for about 15 years. Direct debits are a convient means of dealing with recurring payments and I have never had a problem with them. If I did have a problem I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram and refuse to use them.
Richard M
Cardiff
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

richardfm wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:08pm I haven't had a cheque book for about 15 years. Direct debits are a convient means of dealing with recurring payments and I have never had a problem with them. If I did have a problem I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram and refuse to use them.
Direct debits are convenient and no one is asking you not to use them, or asking you to throw your toys out your pram.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

De Sisti wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 1:33pm
richardfm wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:08pm I haven't had a cheque book for about 15 years. Direct debits are a convient means of dealing with recurring payments and I have never had a problem with them. If I did have a problem I wouldn't throw my toys out of the pram and refuse to use them.
Direct debits are convenient and no one is asking you not to use them, or asking you to throw your toys out your pram.
No, I know that. I was just contrasting my attitude with yours .
Richard M
Cardiff