Do I need a new chain after cassette change?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SSC

Do I need a new chain after cassette change?

Post by SSC »

Hi there, my wife is pregnant so I’ve attempted to swap my old bike out for hers onto our turbo so she can keep spinning as the months go buy.

She has an old Trex Lexa (2015) which comes with a Tiagra 12-30 cassette which is no longer sold. I have bought an 11-32 cassette as the nearest alternative but unclear if I will need to buy a new chain or if the existing configuration will suffice?

Generally a bit of a newbie at this stuff so any advice appreciated!
Jdsk

Re: Do I need a new chain after cassette change?

Post by Jdsk »

How many sprockets on each cassette?

And have you checked the current chain for wear?

Jonathan
Paulkentuk

Post by Paulkentuk »

So I'd guess you swapped the cassette, because the sprocket teeth were showing wear - in which case yes fit a new chain.
SSC

Post by SSC »

It’s a 10 speed/sprocket Tiagra casette.

We got a new cassette as it felt nearer to leave the one on the rear bike wheel in place, and also better to put a new one on the turbo as the old one was very old/dirty.

Therefore the chain went from an old 12-30 ten speed cassette to a new 11-32 ten speed cassette. Exactly the same but slightly different teeth configuration on cassette (and obviously not worn).
PH

Post by PH »

Anyone else confused?
Where has the old cassette gone? If it's gone in the rubbish, put the chain there with it. If it still had some life left, put it to one side for a later date and keep the chain with it. Put a new chain with the new cassette, a cheap one will do on the turbo, I think I spotted some 10spd ones in Halfords for a tenner. It may or may not have needed it, but with a baby on the way you've bigger things to be concerned about.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Standard advice would be that a new chain may not require a new cassette, if you change the chain often enough. However, a new cassette will, special circumstances excepted, always require a new chain. The two wear together, the chain rather faster and, once wear is significant, neither will any longer mesh with others.