Sporty flat bar road bike mudguard suggestions?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Cowsham

Re: Sporty flat bar road bike mudguard suggestions?

Post by Cowsham »

You can buy these lifeline ones and cut them short -- the black stays can be moved to any point on the arc so cutting to your desired length isn't a problem. These are the wide version but there's a slim version too

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... lsrc=aw.ds
I am here. Where are you?
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

cycle tramp wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 8:40pm In all honesty... I can see where you're coming from. The rest of the bike has been designed or sculpted, and then you have these bright wire lines...
...woukd you feel any better if the mudguard mounts were painted black so they sort of got lost against the dark tyres, wheel rims and spokes?
Possibly yes, I’m appreciative of the benefits of full guards, but I just want to get a good compromise not a total one.
PH

Post by PH »

Slothman wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:29pm I just want to get a good compromise not a total one.
Be interesting to see what you end up with, maybe post a picture when you do and people can see for themselves if it looks any better.
I don't think there is a worthwhile compromise, half guards probably offer a tenth of the coverage. the water has to leave somewhere and unless that's considerably below the axle it's going to hit you. Or you could fit some luggage on the back of your saddle, that's fashionable enough, though IMO ugly, that'll stop some of the filth hitting you, though it's going to get filthy instead. I went through the same thing on my folder, though for different reasons, I tried three solutions and it's now running guardless. It's less pleasant to ride in the wet, but thankfully I don't have to do so often.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Slothman wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:29pm
cycle tramp wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 8:40pm In all honesty... I can see where you're coming from. The rest of the bike has been designed or sculpted, and then you have these bright wire lines...
...woukd you feel any better if the mudguard mounts were painted black so they sort of got lost against the dark tyres, wheel rims and spokes?
Possibly yes, I’m appreciative of the benefits of full guards, but I just want to get a good compromise not a total one.
Have a quick Google at crud Road racer mk3 mudguard set. Not bad tire coverage and sculpted not wire stays.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:39pm
Slothman wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:29pm I just want to get a good compromise not a total one.
Be interesting to see what you end up with, maybe post a picture when you do and people can see for themselves if it looks any better.
I don't think there is a worthwhile compromise, half guards probably offer a tenth of the coverage. the water has to leave somewhere and unless that's considerably below the axle it's going to hit you. Or you could fit some luggage on the back of your saddle, that's fashionable enough, though IMO ugly, that'll stop some of the filth hitting you, though it's going to get filthy instead. I went through the same thing on my folder, though for different reasons, I tried three solutions and it's now running guardless. It's less pleasant to ride in the wet, but thankfully I don't have to do so often.
I will do for sure.
I also will be doing very little wet riding (unless I get caught mid ride) and zero off road, so don’t need too much protection.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

cycle tramp wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:44pm
Slothman wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:29pm
Have a quick Google at crud Road racer mk3 mudguard set. Not bad tire coverage and sculpted not wire stays.
Thanks, I’ll take a look 👍
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:39pm
Well seen you don't live here then!
PH

Post by PH »

Cowsham wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:17pm
PH wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:39pm I went through the same thing on my folder, though for different reasons, I tried three solutions and it's now running guardless. It's less pleasant to ride in the wet, but thankfully I don't have to do so often.
Not sure what it is you're trying to say there?
To clarify, in case it wasn't obvious "It's less pleasant to ride in the wet" refers to that folder, not ridings in general, some of us have more than one bike!
The OP has already said they'll be doing very little wet riding, that's not unusual, lots of people can pick and choose when to ride and even in the UK that leaves plenty of scope for avoiding the rain. As already said, with that criteria, I wouldn't bother with guards.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

After reading all the replies and doing some online research I suspect I’ll just buy a functional set that can be easily fitted and removed, just in case rather than as a permanent addition to the bike.
Otherwise I’ll not bother I think.
The biggest issue may be finding some that can be fitted to my bike which doesn’t seem to have the fittings!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Slothman wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 11:10am After reading all the replies and doing some online research I suspect I’ll just buy a functional set that can be easily fitted and removed, just in case rather than as a permanent addition to the bike.
Otherwise I’ll not bother I think.
The biggest issue may be finding some that can be fitted to my bike which doesn’t seem to have the fittings!
On the blurb about the bike they mention smart-mount rack and fender also there's little black plastic caps covering the mount points near the rear axle -- not sure where the other mounting points are but I'd guess there's at least some way of fastening the guards down near the bottom bracket.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:55am
Cowsham wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:17pm
PH wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:39pm I went through the same thing on my folder, though for different reasons, I tried three solutions and it's now running guardless. It's less pleasant to ride in the wet, but thankfully I don't have to do so often.
If you don't ride in the wet you wouldn't take up cycling where I live cos hardly a day goes by without rain at some point. All my bikes have mudguards.
PH

Post by PH »

Cowsham wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 3:52pm
Cowsham wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 10:17pm Well seen you don't live here then!
If you don't ride in the wet you wouldn't take up cycling where I live cos hardly a day goes by without rain at some point. All my bikes have mudguards.
Most of my bikes have guards as well.
However in the English Midlands, it rains on average 140 days a year and about a third of those only AM or PM, it isn't always predictable of course. It's perfectly feasible for someone wanting a few hours riding a week, with the flexibility to choose when, to rarely ride in the rain, or on wet roads which is where guards really come into their own. I've had bikes that racked up plenty of miles and never saw a wet road.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

PH wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 4:19pm
Cowsham wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 3:52pm
Most of my bikes have guards as well.
However in the English Midlands, it rains on average 140 days a year and about a third of those only AM or PM, it isn't always predictable of course. It's perfectly feasible for someone wanting a few hours riding a week, with the flexibility to choose when, to rarely ride in the rain, or on wet roads which is where guards really come into their own. I've had bikes that racked up plenty of miles and never saw a wet road.
As Prince Nelson once said it's so cold in Minnesota it keeps the bad people away -- I can say the same about here only it's maybe not just as cold but by flutter it's wet. (Windy too)
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Anyone know if the SKS Race Blade Pro XL are still available in the gloss carbon effect finish?
I can only find silver, matt black or plain gloss black?
Gloss is ok but having seen images of the carbon effect is much rather have that.
Slothman

Post by Slothman »

Anyone know if the SKS Race Blade Pro XL are still available in the gloss carbon effect finish?
I can only find silver, matt black or plain gloss black?
Gloss is ok but having seen images of the carbon effect is much rather have that.

https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files ... rofile.jpg