Thermometer for handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Thermometer for handlebars

Post by Mick F »

If it's in the wind as you ride under your saddlebag/tool pouch, it'll feel the air temp as opposed to the temp built up and sheltered, or in the sunshine.

More realistic maybe.

Whatever ............ the main thing is that it's more representative of the real temp and not a false artificial one.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:57am I fail to see how a thermometer on the bars could possibly be accurate. It would be exposed to sunlight, wind and rain, all of which could significantly distort the readings.
Temp sensor in my expensive new Garmin is useless. Massively over reads. Same in my previous (also expensive) Garmin. I've no idea as to the cause of the way too high reading (e.g. location close to hot components internally, on the bars, etc.).

My "way over-reads" is based on e.g. nice sunny day and whilst I love heat, a pleasant ride recording an average of 35℃ is not realistic.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Tempe.
Bluetooth - or whatever Garmin call it - connected to the main unit.
Wear it on your rucksack or your shoes, or like me, under the saddle pouch.

https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/107335
Screen Shot 2022-09-24 at 20.15.38.png
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

richardfm wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 8:11pm
eileithyia wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 7:38pm Garmins have a thermometer.
I wasn't aware that mine does, I'll have to investigate, although I can tell if I am cold, warm or hot without a thermometer.

[Edit]
I think that should be "some Garmins do". There is no sign of mine having one https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/611996#specs
OK, mine does, but you have to go into page settings and set up as an option on to be viewed on the screen. Must admit I know if am hot cold or warm...... but sometimes it's interesting to know just how cold or hot it is..... though my partner and I do seem have to about 1.5-2 degree discrepancy....
Would have been interesting to know just how cold it was on some of my really cold commutes back in the 80s when I arrived at work with frozen eyelashes due to freezing fog... and if it really was as low -5 on some occasions as forecast.. lol
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ChrisF wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 5:06pm
Jdsk wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 3:46pm How does the wind affect the temperature reading of a thermometer?
In normal dry conditions, wind won't affect the reading by much.
If it is wet as well as windy, then evaporation from the wet surface will cool the thermometer, depending on the wind speed . This is like the "feels like" temperature you yourself feel when it's raining.
If the sun is shining (and it's not wet), any device mounted in the sun will over-read, by maybe10 degrees or more. But if it's windy as well as sunny, the over-reading will be less because the wind will counteract the heat absorption from the sun's energy. That's easy to demonstrate - just look at the temperature while you're riding on a sunny calm day (when you're making your own breeze) then stop for 20 minutes and look at the temperature again - it's sure to be higher because of less wind.

So, to conclude - if it's wet, wind will make the thermometer under-read - but reflect what you feel yourself.
If it's in the sun, wind will also make it read lower, but actually make it more accurate!
Thanks.

Yes.

And of course "accurate" only has meaning when there's a reference value!

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 7:22pm ...
Whatever ............ the main thing is that it's more representative of the real temp and not a false artificial one.
What's "the real temp" to which you would like it to get as close as possible?

Thanks

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 8:16pm Garmin Tempe.

The tempe uses ANT+, not Bluetooth.
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/Tempe_I ... B_ML14.pdf
Jonathan
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

That's what I use (dangling off the rear part of the saddle rail).
As far as I can tell, it's always been pretty accurate, except when I've left the bike parked without reference to where the sun was.
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Like the OP, temperature is the feature that I once had on a bike computer that is missing from its replacement - so this is of great interest to me. What do you have it linked to Mick/Andrew? It’s not listed as being compatible with an Edge Explore, but that may be as it doesn’t seem to be a current model anymore. How about battery life?

Subject to the accuracy issues already discussed I used to like to know the temperature so that I could relate it to my clothing choice - did I get it right today?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

TheBomber wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:38am...
It’s not listed as being compatible with an Edge Explore, but that may be as it doesn’t seem to be a current model anymore.
The Explore or the tempe?

The tempe:

Jonathan
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:46pm The Explore or the tempe?
The list of compatible devices for the Tempe doesn’t seem to include the Edge Explore. This might be because most Edge bike computers already have a temperature sensor built in; the Explore doesn’t but as it appears to have been replaced by the Explore 2 maybe that has the sensor hence the omission from the compatible list.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. I see what you mean.

I recommend looking and asking in the Garmin official forum:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... ge-explore

Jonathan
RickH

Post by RickH »

Garmin quietly dropped support for Tempe on the Edge computers some time back. But the new touring model, the Edge Explore 2, seems to have brought it back (DC Rainmaker review here). I can't comment about support on other, non-cycling specific, models.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My Tempe is linked to my Garmin Montana.

The unit is under my Topeak tool pack which is swapped from one bike to the other.
If I use a bigger bag, I transfer the Tempe to it.

Here's a profile of a typical ride, showing the temperature readout.
Elevation scale on the left, and temperature scale on the right.
Distance along the bottom.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 15.47.45.png
Hilly round here eh? :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Hi all. Many thanks for the excellent replies. I'd overlooked the Sigma basic computers - my new Sigma, bought in Norway doesn't have that option.
I'm now re-thinking the issue, looking at a Garmin Edge 2 Explorer. But I'm getting conflicting responses Garmin re thermometer. I spoke to one person, who said they don't have them. Then on a chat, another Garmin person said they definitely do!
Does anyone know for definite?
Thanks again,
Rob