Bar riser

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
rjb

Bar riser

Post by rjb »

anybody using these? Looking to lower the bars on a folding bike with a non adjustable steerer column which fixes the bars too high for me.
What else is available? Any suggested solutions for solving this issue.
Riser bars in a lowered orientation may work but often are bent forwards a few degrees so may not be suitable. Has anyone tried this?

At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Winders

Re: Bar riser

Post by Winders »

Satori Aber Hallo? We have one on a folder to rise the bars, but the other advantage is that it enables the use of non-straight bars with narrow centres. We use it with a Soma Sparrow bar, which if flipped would give you a north road style setup lower than the handlepost height, albeit limiting the compactness of the fold.

Other options include picking up a replacement shorter handlepost on Aliexpress or similar.
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Sorry, yes. My dahon TR came with a set. I found them ideal as I used it to swivel the handlebars further away from the saddle giving me my ideal cycling position... I remember at the time, thinking that all bikes should come with it as it made setting up the riding position so much easier.
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Yes we use on one our tandem just to raise the stokers bar a little bit. I originally bought this riser for my daughters 24" wheel MTB as she grew too high for the bars, but when the bike was totally outgrown and sold I salvaged this very useful component for my use. Its a very solid piece of kit.
Attachments
Bar Riser in use
Bar Riser in use
rjb

Post by rjb »

Thanks all. i see cheaper copies too on ebay. Any comments on these please. They don't look as substantial as the Satori version but may do the job.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143951358841 ... =115231643
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

I tried an eBay one and it was nothing like as rigid as the original.

EDIT: here is a pic of my eBay one. Looks just like the one you have posted above rjb but in silver.
Not much cop..
Not much cop..
Hollow, with thin sidewalls and flexy.. also as you can see I had issues shimming bars into it. Had to do the bolts up really tight to stop the bars moving the two supports like a parallelogram. Just about acceptable for a light stoker but no way usable for main steering.

I have replaced the above with a more rugged solution for my tandem fleet now.
Much better
Much better
although I would still use the original Satori risers if they were more readily available at a reasonable price.
Last edited by zenitb on 25 Sep 2022, 11:19pm, edited 8 times in total.
zenitb

Looked on eBay

Post by zenitb »

this looks more like the original
MEGABUCKS !!!!
MEGABUCKS !!!!
.. but the price !!!!
rjb

Post by rjb »

The eBay copies don't take into account the conical shape where the bar diameter changes from the stem clamp. I can see that being an issue. The Satori versions look way more substantial but at a cost. I'll explore riser bars a bit more. Thanks all.