Two person cooking pot

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
hamster

Re: Two person cooking pot

Post by hamster »

Sweep wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 3:18pm On the Trangia pan suggestion, though cheap (sure i have one with £3.50 on a stickered price) I can vouch for the quality of the plain lightweight ally ones.
Quite, still using mine from a set bought by my father in 1978.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Can you fit two people into a single pot-must be enormous!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mumbojumbo wrote: 6 Sep 2022, 7:24pm Can you fit two people into a single pot-must be enormous!

Jonathan
in4time

Post by in4time »

Some great replies and humour for free too 😊
I mentioned titanium because a MSR one pot with lid came out tops in a review I read. Think it was around £80 which I thought was too expensive.
I use an Optimus Omni-fuel stove so have both gas and liquid fuel options.
Coincidentally I’ve been using a Trangia pan and kettle solution. Experience is inclining me towards a pan and lid solution; gives me a quicker boil and ‘plate’ option. Perhaps a Trangia lid is a good choice although I see lots of those cylindrical non-stick pot and lid combos about, for far less £ than a titanium one.
Thanks for the contributions, much appreciated.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you did want titanium but, quite reasonably, didn't want to pay £80, then a cheap but decent quality option is the Toaks brand, which can be bought from various UK suppliers or cheaper from Ali-Express. Alpkit also do some titanium cookware but I can't remember the details.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

in4time wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 8:13am ...
I use an Optimus Omni-fuel stove so have both gas and liquid fuel options.
Coincidentally I’ve been using a Trangia pan and kettle solution. Experience is inclining me towards a pan and lid solution; gives me a quicker boil and ‘plate’ option. Perhaps a Trangia lid is a good choice although I see lots of those cylindrical non-stick pot and lid combos about, for far less £ than a titanium one.
Thanks

I'd buy a plain aluminium pot and lid.

Jonathan

PS: And they'd be Trangia:
https://trangia.se/en/product-category/pots-pans/
viewtopic.php?t=150713
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

in4time wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 8:13am
I mentioned titanium because a MSR one pot with lid came out tops in a review I read. Think it was around £80 which I thought was too expensive.
Do you have a link to the review?
Would love to see it.
A lot of "press" reviews are somewhat compromised in my view.

I do have a bit of MSR cookware which I rate very highly - a really nice small eating bowl - but it's stainless steel and cost me about £6.

I use it domestically a fair bit - strong - will outlive me - very easy to clean - very hygienic.

Oh must admit I do have a small set of titanium cutlery from Alpkit but I got those as they are functional, very nice and compact. Ditto hygienic - better for cleaning than plastic.
Cost way less than £80 though :) - £15 as I recall.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

in4time wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 8:13am I see lots of those cylindrical non-stick pot and lid combos about, for far less £ than a titanium one.
Thanks for the contributions, much appreciated.
Yep they have their uses.
You sometimes see them in TKMax.
But see above re non-stick - I wouldn't want to give one heavy use.
There are hard anodized versions of those cyclindrical vertical thingies - a better bet.
But I'd agree with others and go for ally Trangia.
You won't regret it.
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

in4time wrote: 7 Sep 2022, 8:13am I use an Optimus Omni-fuel stove so have both gas and liquid fuel options.
I have a not-dissimilar Primus Multifuel, and while these do do gas note that they don't do it as well as a pure gas stove (which has a more elaborate spreader head), and they're heavier.
So if you're thinking about weight and know some trips will be gas-only, consider a pure gas stove for the Gear Cupboard (we use our Primus Gravity pure gas stove far more than the MFS). I consider the gas capability on the MFS a nice added bonus to a liquid fuel pressure stove, rather than a "proper" gas stove.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
freiston

Post by freiston »

What do you mean by two person cooking pot? Do you mean rehydrating packet food, heating up canned food or cooking from scratch prepping raw ingredients? Most meals I cook (at home or on the campsite) use two or one saucepans, whether I'm cooking for one or two. I've managed rice based one-pot meals (modded risottos) for two in the large saucepan of a Trangia 25. Using bread instead of rice, potatoes or pasta can make a two-pot meal a one-pot meal.

What sort of size are you wanting (volume, diameter, depth) and how will you be using it? Will you want a lid? Titanium would not be my first choice for frying meat or reducing a sauce.

After saying all that, I haven't really got any recommendations - I'm happy with what I use - either a Trangia 25 or 27 - both Duossal but the 27 has a non-stick frying pan. If I'm cooking from scratch, I prefer the 25 even if I'm just cooking for me (more stirring room) but if I were preparing dehydrated food, I suspect that the 27 would be ample for two - a large kettle might be even better. I also have a 2.5 litre Trangia billy with lid that would be more than ample for a from-scratch one-pot meal for two.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

How about an old school Zebra Billy?

Lots of sizes and shapes, easy to clean, can be used on stove or open fire and unlike titanium, doesn't have a heat hot spot.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
albal1

Post by albal1 »

I have one for sale £30 posted 370g including bag.
Attachments
1000001640.jpg
1000001639.jpg