Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mumbojumbo

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by mumbojumbo »

Trickle down and tax cuts mean that the rich can order a larger meal and reward the waiter with a bigger tip.The poor, when invited to lick the plate clean,find more gravy residue ,peas and even a bit of gristle.When the rich man leaves the restaurant ,he drops in silver,and later on the waiter feeds him a few coppers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 7:19pm
reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 12:38pm Carlton Green
There's a term in Buddhism used to describe a person's true character,the term is "suchness".
We're witnessing(and have so for some time)the suchness of the Tory party.
That suchness is the enriching more of the rich whilst simultaneously increasing the "poorness" of the already poor,who were made poor by the Tory party's suchness.
The TOry party and it's supporters have no intention of levelling up or anything approaching it or anything like an equal society or a betterment for all,they're only interested in enriching the already too rich whilst making the poor pay for it.

Personally I blame the electorate for supping with the devil for so long as they now are under the impression the devil is god and that things could be worse if they didn't have the devil in charge,that impression has never been so misplaced as it has been for the past 12 years and even more so in the past 4 years.

A simple question to you on the current Kwateng Kack.
How can slashing the taxes of the already rich and well off who don't need the extra money,whilst allowing the expenditure of those barely paying any income tax,and who need help the most,to increase at alarming rates,be morally acceptable to any right thinking person?
I don’t understand what prompted you to ask me the question but as far as I’m concerned the Chancellor has made completely the wrong choices for anything other than making a bad situation for the country into a much worse situation for the country. I think that Truss was an awful choice and the worst of two candidates.
Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:23pm A simple question to you on the current Kwateng Kack.
How can slashing the taxes of the already rich and well off who don't need the extra money,whilst allowing the expenditure of those barely paying any income tax,and who need help the most,to increase at alarming rates,be morally acceptable to any right thinking person?
It is just as blatant as putins referendum in the Ukraine.

Kamii-Kwatang economics - I can't work out whether he is trying to keep the rich rich or destroy britain. I didn't think it could get any worse after Boris, but it has...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pebble wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 12:35am .....Kamii-Kwatang economics - I can't work out whether he is trying to keep the rich rich or destroy britain.
Both?
I didn't think it could get any worse after Boris, but it has...
And set to get a lot worse!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

reohn2 wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 8:46am
Pebble wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 12:35am .....Kamii-Kwatang economics - I can't work out whether he is trying to keep the rich rich or destroy britain.
Both?
I didn't think it could get any worse after Boris, but it has...
And set to get a lot worse!
Given the candidates I did not doubt that would get worse. KK (only 2 Ks?) certainly intent on enriching the rich, destroying the rest of Britain an irrelevance.
And yes, you ain't seen nothing yet.....
Debs

Post by Debs »

I've just paid £24.27 VAT on a veterinary bill for the loss of a cat.

The cat wasn't owned by anyone, he was a feral that had existed around the village for years, i first noticed him in 2015 when he was a young adult cat which i guess which makes him about 9 years old this year.

Since this summer a few times a week he would visit the garden and i'd feed him a bowl of food, but he didn't look well on Thursday, so in a mission of mercy i captured him, took him to the vets for a check over and all going well to be neutered.
This elusive stray would then be welcome to move in with us if he so wished...

However, the check-up revealed a serous underlying heath issue ( +FIE ) and after much consultation with the vet we decided the most compassionate outcome was euthanasia, which went ahead on Friday morning.
Must admit going home with the empty cat carrier i blubbed a bit.

The bill to include overnight stay, blood tests, euthanasia and disposal of body = £121.27 which includes the full fat 20% VAT charge of £24.27 which will go to the treasury to help fund tax cuts for millionaires.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 10:23pm A simple question to you on the current Kwateng Kack.
Similarly, how will keeping Corporation Tax the same as it is now result in massive growth (massive being necessary to cover the borrowing required to give so much to the already wealthy). What they have done is just returned to Osborne's Corporation tax level that was due to be increased as Osborne's cut didn't result in growth (i.e. the cut didn't work).What has changed since 2017 to make 19% Corporation tax suddenly create massive growth (when it didn't in 2017)?

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

And after years of inhumane actions and attitudes to refugees, illegal deportations, etc. now it's suddenly "all change" and
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/24/liz-truss-plans-to-loosen-immigration-rules-to-boost-uk-economy wrote:Liz Truss ‘plans to loosen immigration rules to boost UK economy’
But, given Westminsters recent nasty attitude to migrant workers i.e. you can do the rubbish unpleasant jobs for below minimum wage with no protections and when the "season" is over go way, will all these people sought to boost growth even want to come to the UK?

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:22am And after years of inhumane actions and attitudes to refugees, illegal deportations, etc. now it's suddenly "all change" and
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/24/liz-truss-plans-to-loosen-immigration-rules-to-boost-uk-economy wrote:Liz Truss ‘plans to loosen immigration rules to boost UK economy’
But, given Westminsters recent nasty attitude to migrant workers i.e. you can do the rubbish unpleasant jobs for below minimum wage with no protections and when the "season" is over go way, will all these people sought to boost growth even want to come to the UK?

Ian
IME there was an established familial 'supply chain' in many businesses (an example was a food manufacturer I worked with in Lincs) which provided a bridgehead for family & friends to travel over and work. The question is whether that link has been broken in the last couple of years, and I've been in other sectors in the interim.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Debs wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:06am I've just paid £24.27 VAT on a veterinary bill for the loss of a cat.

The cat wasn't owned by anyone, he was a feral that had existed around the village for years, i first noticed him in 2015 when he was a young adult cat which i guess which makes him about 9 years old this year.

Since this summer a few times a week he would visit the garden and i'd feed him a bowl of food, but he didn't look well on Thursday, so in a mission of mercy i captured him, took him to the vets for a check over and all going well to be neutered.
This elusive stray would then be welcome to move in with us if he so wished...

However, the check-up revealed a serous underlying heath issue ( +FIE ) and after much consultation with the vet we decided the most compassionate outcome was euthanasia, which went ahead on Friday morning.
Must admit going home with the empty cat carrier i blubbed a bit.

The bill to include overnight stay, blood tests, euthanasia and disposal of body = £121.27 which includes the full fat 20% VAT charge of £24.27 which will go to the treasury to help fund tax cuts for millionaires.

You've got a good heart Debs. I firmly believe in Karma - Good things comes to good people. :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We took a poorly (wild) rabbit to be be put down, and the vet charged us.
We refused to pay.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'd have saved it for the pot. Rabbit stew. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I recommend not eating unhealthy wild animals.

(Roadkill is different.)

Jonathan
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Biospace wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 4:35pm
But is it realistic to suggest Brexit was a deliberate ruse to further whatever plans these 'elite' have for the world? Centralisation of power would seem to be important in attempting greater control, so how does this work?

I know Roosevelt said nothing happens by accident in politics, that at times political leaders are little more than actors with the real powers being worked behind the curtain, but I struggle with the notion that Brexit was allowed as part of a grand scheme.
Neoliberalism's character is one of extreme individualism, with the "better" individuals triumphing over "the second raters" (Ayn Rand terminology) via a vicious social Darwinism. Neo liberalism is libertarian in nature, not an ideology seeking a central power, of the familair "world government" kind. They don't like government, only laws establishing and enforcing fantastic privilege for themselves, even if it does seek a single hegemony of economic rules that always tend to favour the already rich elites seeking ever greater power and riches.

These would-be aristocracies of neoliberalism encourage something of a war of supremacy amongst themselves, as well as upon we second raters.. The English neoliberals of the ERG were concerned to do away with the limits imposed by another neoliberal regime - that of the EU. Their main objective was to gain even greater power, unfettered by anything or anyone. The nationalistic fervour characterising much of Brexit was precisely wrought to get rid of any fetters on those within the ERG seeking greater "freedom" for their capital and their many exploitative behaviours - particularly those most numerous fetters applied by the EU.

The logic of much of the current neoliberal stuff is that wealth and power will migrate ever-upward, eventually concentrating in perhaps just one cabal, syndicate or even individual - the individual or small group of them that own and control everything. Already there's a small number of very rich billionaires who are actually doing nearly-that: exerting vast tranns-national influence and control in every sphere you can name.

So, in that sense, there may well be a drive within neoliberalism for "centralisation of power". But it's not the sort of drive and power of the history of our heretofore, based in nation-states with leaders having visions for their nation as a whole, including its citizens. It's a Hobbesian war of all-against-all, with even the biggest neoliberal beasts wary of the other big neoliberal beasts. They all want to own everything and will do each other down to get it.

Consider Putin, Trump, Xi Jinping and others of their ilk. They all employ a variety of political and economic variations of the neoliberal theme in an attempt to increase their personal hegemony. Use of "the nation" is just like the use of a screwdriver, a dispensable tool. They'll wear it out as they do their screwing.

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 25 Sep 2022, 3:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 11:22am And after years of inhumane actions and attitudes to refugees, illegal deportations, etc. now it's suddenly "all change" and
The pattern of immigration since the UK has left the EU is complex, but it includes a recent big increase in skilled workers.

"Immigration after Brexit one year on: changing places?"
https://ukandeu.ac.uk/immigration-after ... ng-places/

Jonathan