Jdsk

Re: Highway Code revisions: Now implemented 29 January 2022

Post by Jdsk »

give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders and horse drawn vehicles at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211 to 215). As a guide:
leave at least 1.5 metres when overtaking cyclists at speeds of up to 30mph, and give them more space when overtaking at higher speeds
pass horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles at speeds under 10 mph and allow at least 2 metres of space
allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road (for example, where there is no pavement)
take extra care and give more space when overtaking motorcyclists, cyclists, horse riders, horse drawn vehicles and pedestrians in bad weather (including high winds) and at night
you should wait behind the motorcyclist, cyclist, horse rider, horse drawn vehicle or pedestrian and not overtake if it is unsafe or not possible to meet these clearances.

My emboldening.

Is there any reason why it sometimes says overtaking and sometimes pass?

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 8:31am
Is there any reason why it sometimes says overtaking and sometimes pass?

Thanks

Jonathan

My understanding is if I overtake someone I’m going the same direction as them.
If I pass someone then I could be going in either direction.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Attachments
94B8151E-EA68-4D23-BAB4-703FCA8C1275.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 8:58am
Jdsk wrote: 2 Jun 2022, 8:31am Is there any reason why it sometimes says overtaking and sometimes pass?
My understanding is if I overtake someone I’m going the same direction as them.
If I pass someone then I could be going in either direction.
Thanks.

Any other interpretations, please?

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I had a close pass once when I was walking across an airfield.
The clouds came in really quickly and so did the gliders, I'm not even sure the pilot even saw me :evil:
I was on a public path which goes across the air field.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
If it's in the highway code revisions, then the wording could be discussed without actually commenting on subject too much.
Now you've mentioned it, to be PC, it will probably get moved into the relevant section.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MODERATOR REQUEST: the helmet discussion has previously been split off to viewtopic.php?t=148978 please use that thread for any comments about helmets.

Thanks
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The advertising campaign has started: "Travel Like You Know Them":
https://www.think.gov.uk/campaign/trave ... know-them/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 11:41am The advertising campaign has started: "Travel Like You Know Them":
https://www.think.gov.uk/campaign/trave ... know-them/
I like the psychology of this. But I'm not too impressed with the first round of advertisements.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Highway Code: 61% of drivers have not read new guidance, AA survey suggests":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62789079

Can anyone find the survey?

Thanks

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

The widely-repeated lie that 16,000 of 20,000 highway code revision consultation responses were from cycling organisations, stated by Richard Littlejohn in the Daily Mail, has been ruled inaccurate by the Independent Press Standards Organisation after a complaint by Peter Walker. https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-reso ... d=01909-22

The Daily Mail's defence is itself interesting. It said Littlejohn's column is "clearly a satirical comment piece" and also blamed the Director of Policy and Research at IAM RoadSmart for the figure, but declined to defend some other claims, including that no motoring organisations were involved in the initial consultations.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nico36

Post by nico36 »

I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, apologies if someone has mentioned it before.

In the last three weeks I have been close passed on two occasions which I can only assume have been deliberate. The first, I was on the Ringinglow Road out of Sheffield towards Hathersage with no other traffic on the road, the road is single carriageway with visibility of hundreds of metres, the weather was fine and dry, with clear visibility. I was passed within inches by a Mini doing 50 to 60 mph, the second in the same area, not passed quite as fast but again inches away.

I'm beginning to wonder if a very small hardcore of anti-cycling motorists are close passing deliberately in reaction to this new legislation?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I expect there are a minority of drivers who deliberately pass very close and will resent requirements to pass at a safe and considerate distance.
It could be useful to know what is be best value for money camera to fit to the handlebars and if only taking pictures after the passing, will this be sufficient to pass onto the police or can Cycling UK provide a service, so they handle the paperwork and members add their details.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Steady rider wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 8:08pm It could be useful to know what is be best value for money camera to fit to the handlebars and if only taking pictures after the passing, will this be sufficient to pass onto the police or can Cycling UK provide a service, so they handle the paperwork and members add their details.
There's a useful discussion of working with the police in this thread, and it also contains some advice on cameras:
viewtopic.php?t=149941

Jonathan
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

I'm beginning to wonder if a very small hardcore of anti-cycling motorists are close passing deliberately in reaction to this new legislation?
I've heard rumour that for the yoof it's a social media challenge. The majority of drivers are fine but there will always be a percentage who won't read the Highway Code, won't improve their skills and shouldn't be in charge of a car
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~