Road Rubbish 2022 Style

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rjb

Re: Road Rubbish 2022 Style

Post by rjb »

The catering size nitrous oxide canisters may be detritus from boy racers burning it in their car engines. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

tim-b wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:00am
Nitrous oxide? What's that for?
Are you having a laugh? :)
lol :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tiggertoo wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 9:07pm On my frequent return tips to England I am regularly disappointed at the quantity of rubbish discarded along roads and outside fish and chip shops. When did Brits become so dirty? It wasn't like that when I was a lad in Norwich.
When I lived in France, driving back to UK as soon as you drive off the ferry, 1st few miles on public roads and it's dramatic how much litter is discarded onto the verges. Every visit back it was the first thing noticed about being in UK.

(Not sure what country you are talking about whan you say "over here").

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

freiston wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 6:01pm
Mick F wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 5:22pm I counted 28 Stella cans between Tamar Gate Bend and the top of the short cut on the A390 when out riding on Friday.
This isn't including the Coke, Red Bull, Kronenburg, Heineken, and other cans.
Stella seems to be quite popular with the car-driving litter louts, and it's quite noticeable.
All on the left going up the hill.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52682 ... 384!8i8192
From Google Street View, that looks like an awful road for cycling - is it?
No, not really. Not much choice though.

Unless you don't want to cycle very far, it's the only road out of Gunnislake heading east.
Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 10.51.14.png
Mick F. Cornwall
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cheers for the reply, Mick F. Where I live, I'm lucky that I can get to little lanes with hardly any travel along main roads - but it does limit me - pretty much to the north/north-west. If I want a longer ride (that isn't meandering/circling around every mile of lane in a small area), I need to use main roads; I usually try to limit it to short stretches between turn-offs.

Back on-topic, most of the rubbish I notice is fly-tipping but there are places where a lot of fast food and gas cylinders are dumped. One stretch, in the middle of no-where near an overhead motorway, where it seems that car-drivers congregate (I suspect in a similar way that my mates and I would congregate on street corners as kids), I took a look over a gate once and discovered a large pile of beer cans that must have been several visits in the making. At the same stretch, during lockdown, there was what must have been a lorry/large van load of rubbish fly-tipped there. The phone-photo doesn't do it justice.
20200809_142822.jpg
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Motorway underpasses are just made for depositing litter, fly tipping and other unsavouries.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Just cycled Munich to Rome.
Bavaria & Austria pretty much spotless, as you'd expect.
Northern Italy is clean too but once through Tuscany and nearing Rome the road rubbish just becomes more and more. They dont seem to care where they fly-tip - main roads seem just as bad.
IMG_20220922_102920235.jpg
Rome is quite dirty with lots of dumped rubbish, - apart from the touristy bit. Some of the suburbs have a dystopian look about them.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Fly tipping round Leicester where my son lines is absolutely epidemic. There's just no need.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:31pm Fly tipping round Leicester where my son lines is absolutely epidemic. There's just no need.
Many councils won't let certain vehicles into their tips. My neighbour has a small van for private use. It's his 'car' however it's banned from the tip.

After exhaustive struggle, he is now allowed in if he pre books (unlike me who just drives my larger campervan in, no appointment necessary).

He persevered but many would find it easier to throw at a convenient point.

Councils have a justifiable policy of charging for commercial waste. Whilst I agree this is necessary, it must be the cause of much fly tipping.

It's a balance. If the council won't accept it, commercial or household, then some are tempted to dump it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 9:23am
Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:31pm Fly tipping round Leicester where my son lines is absolutely epidemic. There's just no need.
Many councils won't let certain vehicles into their tips. My neighbour has a small van for private use. It's his 'car' however it's banned from the tip.
My local Council (who have contracted out their "Recycling Centres") now charge for pretty well everything, including my in my little VW Polo.

When I last went and they tried to charge me I pointed out that it's landfill rubbish whatever so I either leave it with them now or I put it in my refuse collection bins, little each fortnight (over a month or two). They decided to make an exception on that occasion as paying was a recently introduced thing.

For me it was dump vs Council refuse bins but I can see for others it's pay or find a ditch for free.

Ian
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

tim-b wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:06am
Nitrous oxide? What's that for?
Jonathan will help me out here with the mechanism (I hope), but it's used for its recreational effects on the brain. It has short-lasting effects which is why you'll see little piles of the cylinders. Either that or there's an awful lot of whipped cream being made in laybys
Unfortunately long term use of N2O can have profound effects. These have been know about since it first became a recreational drug in Victorian times. The mechanism was elucidated back in the 60s. Essentially it induces a Vitamin B12 deficiency which causes multiple, serious, and sometimes permanent, effects on the nervous system. It can also cause birth defects and failure of the immune system.
When I was a trainee anaesthetist, we had to be careful to avoid repeat anaesthetics using N2O for patients needing lots of anaesthetics - eg burns patients needing dressing changes under anaesthesia. As time passed we used N2O less and less and by the time I retired it was hardly used at all for general anaesthesia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... A%20mutase.
https://adf.org.au/drug-facts/nitrous-oxide/