Shimano Alfine hub gears

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercianman

Shimano Alfine hub gears

Post by mercianman »

Hi

Does anybody know if Shimano make either of the 8 speed or 11 speed hubs to work with rims brakes, I can see a lot about disc brakes but nothing about using rim brakes. If you know the product number, that would be a great help
Jupestar

Re: Shimano Alfine hub gears

Post by Jupestar »

I believe that only make a disc brake version nowadays. There are non current versions which are Rim only.

Don't see any reason you can't put a disc brake hub on a suitable rim and run rim brakes.
mercianman

Post by mercianman »

I have tried that with a Nexus hub gear, but couldn’t get the hub to centre in the wheel, the axle was stepped down part way along with a thicker dimension to fit the disc and then reducing to the standard size.
PH

Post by PH »

mercianman wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:29pm I have tried that with a Nexus hub gear, but couldn’t get the hub to centre in the wheel, the axle was stepped down part way along with a thicker dimension to fit the disc and then reducing to the standard size.
I don't understand that, the dropouts are the same whichever hub you're using, I had an Alfine wheel that swapped between V and disc brakes without issue.
Shimano do still offer a Nexus rim brake model, though whether anyone has stock is a different matter
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 01-8V.html
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

mercianman wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:29pm I have tried that with a Nexus hub gear, but couldn’t get the hub to centre in the wheel, the axle was stepped down part way along with a thicker dimension to fit the disc and then reducing to the standard size.
I have an alfine 11 with a rim brake. Works absolutely fine. Also have another bike with a nexus 8 hub.

It sounds to me like you're either using a frame where the dropouts are too narrow. The Alfine and nexus hubs fit 135mm spaces dropouts. And they just drop in.
If you have bought the hub in a ready built wheel then you'll need to ensure that the rim is rim brake ready.

If you're still having issues then post some photos please

Gaz
jb

Post by jb »

For rim brakes the Alfine 11 simply has a rubber cap that covers up the rotolock fitting
Cheers
J Bro
mercianman

Post by mercianman »

Thanks for that, didn’t realise that
mercianman

Post by mercianman »

I have just bought one of the Afline 11speed hubs, just need to find out what other parts I need to buy to make it all work, I’ve bought the electronic version so won’t be cheap buying the motor etc
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

mercianman wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 8:57pm I have just bought one of the Afline 11speed hubs, just need to find out what other parts I need to buy to make it all work, I’ve bought the electronic version so won’t be cheap buying the motor etc
Shifters, cables and junctions, battery and holder, battery charger, motor, gear display (may be optional).

It adds up quick - been down this rabbit hole before.