What's the best camping stove?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
freiston

Re: What's the best camping stove?

Post by freiston »

SA_SA_SA wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 8:22pm
freiston wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 12:03am ...... The 20cm frying pan will also go over the top of the 27 by itself, under the strap to make a slightly larger and heavier 27. With reference to SA_SA_SA's post above, the frying pan doubles as a good sized plate for two-pot 27 meals too
Trangia now make a deep (nonstick only) 'frypan' for the 25 (they call it a saute pan.... https://trangia.se/en/shop/saute-stekpanna-25/):
a version sized for the 27 would solve the same problem, whilst keeping its compactness, although nonfryers might prefer a lighter plain UL/HA one. The more people ask them for such a thing....
That looks like a very handy size and I agree about how good a 27 version would be. Using it as a plate/dish, the 27 frying pan is on the small/shallow side. Obviously the diameter can't be increased much, so depth is the only way to go
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I can get 4 good sized beef burgers in the 25 pan --- it cooks them very nice too -- far better than any bar-b-q could.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Sweep wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 7:41am
horizon wrote: 24 Aug 2022, 7:03pm I have the Hard Anodised - it's just the pans. Brilliant.
Aluminium isn't very nice but that POV is still disputed. AFAIK it's the lightest.
I wouldn't touch non-stick but others may choose it.
Duossal is probably the best (and most expensive/heaviest?).

I'm just glad that Trangia do all the versions as my fear is that non-stick would win (as it has with the mini frying pan). With the greatest respect to all on here, I'm surprised anyone still buys non-stick frying pans but then chocolate teapots are still the rage.
the ally does have the plus point that in some ways it is maybe the easiest to clean after some soaking - ie you don't have to worry about degrading any special surface. I regularly use a small trangia ally pan at home for small things on a gas ring. It's as tough as any domestic pan in my experience.
I did buy a duossal frying pan from outdooraction of blackburn (ebay outlet listed upthread) for one of my Trangias but haven't used much yet.
agree with you about non-stick.
I blame all those 60s astronauts popularising it with their damn fry-ups.
Noticed a very small hole in the non stick coating on the frying pan while washing it yesterday after getting back from a cycle trip but I know why it happened.

I was frying burgers with the spirit burner on a very calm day without the regulator ring and the heat was too much for the pan.

I've just bought the 25 Ultralite Hard Anodized - 652511 pan will let you know how that compares.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cowsham wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:10am Noticed a very small hole in the non stick coating on the frying pan while washing it yesterday after getting back from a cycle trip but I know why it happened.

I was frying burgers with the spirit burner on a very calm day without the regulator ring and the heat was too much for the pan.
How new is the pan?

I'd discuss this with the seller and Trangia.

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:36am
Cowsham wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:10am Noticed a very small hole in the non stick coating on the frying pan while washing it yesterday after getting back from a cycle trip but I know why it happened.

How new is the pan?

I'd discuss this with the seller and Trangia.

Jonathan
It was bought about may time -- used about 10 times now -- I did notice a hot spot on the pan and slightly burnt the Burger above it.

Also noticed the burner wasn't burning from the holes around the top like I reckon it should and has done before. Instead it was just burning off the middle of the burner in one large flame. Meths used neat.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

I'd ask them to replace the pan.

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:56am Thanks

I'd ask them to replace the pan.

Jonathan
+1.

TBH, it's very hard to know just how resilient and/or non-toxic these items are. A lot depends on how they are used and, in the case of toxicity, not very conclusive research and evidence. In this particular case, with a responsible user, that looks like manufacturing.

My case against non-stick isn't so much that it is toxic or fragile (and it certainly seems to do the job in any case), but that it's a vulnerable material used in a situation where with the best will in the world, accidents will happen. Given that one ought to use a plastic or similar utensil, one is already in a bind: metal is the thing to hand, plastic might just melt. It just seems to be the wrong material in the circumstances. I can understand though why one might be tempted to use it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
slowster

Post by slowster »

Trangia pans are light because the metal is very thin compared to ordinary pans. A consequence of that is the metal will be poor at conducting heat across the pan. I doubt that the non-stick version of the Trangia frypan is suitable for cooking large pieces of solid food like burgers at relatively high temperatures for the necessary cooking times. The parts of the pan that are not in direct contact with the solid food will get too hot for the non-stick coating.

I think non-stick pans are best reserved for cooking eggs, and also for liquid foodstuffs which will not damage the coating and which are much easier to clean from a non-stick pan, e.g. porridge or cheeese fondue.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

slowster wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 12:49pm
I think non-stick pans are best reserved for cooking eggs, and also for liquid foodstuffs which will not damage the coating and which are much easier to clean from a non-stick pan, e.g. porridge or cheeese fondue.
On a single point porridge is perfectly easy to clean if made with water and not burned on. Just soak. It's water soluble and almost floats off.
Sweep
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Has anyone any experience of the 25 Ultralite Hard Anodized pan? Would it warp with too much heat -- also does anyone know how to ensure that ring of flame I got previously* with neat meths which gives a nice even heat?

*( previously mixed meths with water and had the large single central flame (which heats the pan in one spot) then forgot to mix with water next time and had the nice ring of flame )
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Cowsham wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 11:52am...
Also noticed the burner wasn't burning from the holes around the top like I reckon it should and has done before. Instead it was just burning off the middle of the burner in one large flame. Meths used neat.
Isnt it more likely you couldn't see the fainter blue jet ring of flames beside the brighter yellow central well flame, unless all the jet holes were blocked but somehow cleared next time, a big central flame should mean the jets should have been going pretty soon after igntion, as they are the bit that makes the trangia burner hotter than a simple container of meths?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
horizon

Post by horizon »

Quite a lot here on that topic:

viewtopic.php?t=122840
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

horizon wrote: 3 Sep 2022, 7:52pm Quite a lot here on that topic:

viewtopic.php?t=122840
Thanks Horizon I'll do a bit more experimenting.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

While tidying up the garage I've found some packets of vango gel ( think I got them free with a tent or something ) and it says on the packet " ideal for trangia gel burners "

Looking up trangia gel burners I get this

Trangia Gel Burner for Series 25 & 27 Stove Cookers DofE Hiking Adventure etc https://amzn.eu/d/bUN4knc

anybody ever used one ?
Are they worth getting one ?
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

I worked in Outdoor Education for 15 years. When alcohol gel was first sold it was heavily marketed as "safer" than meths. An office based halfwit at our local authority insisted on us using it. The calorific value of the gel is a lot lower than meths, many kids never had a hot meal. The "gel burner" is just a thin metal cup, you can achieve the same thing by taking a sharp knife and cutting off the bottom of a Coke can.

After a year of whining from the kids about the stoves not working some of The Youth started setting fire to spoon fulls of the stuff and flicking it at things. Gel use swiftly banned. We used the leftovers as firelighters.
Agitate, educate, organise.