Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stevek76

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Stevek76 »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:45pm It has to be a question that fits on the ballet paper and gives equal chance to both sides

You can't ask do you want stay or leave and die a slow death through cold and starvation. That's a might biased
The 1975 ref question mentioned nothing about cold or starvation, or indeed even made any argument either way, rather odd you imply it did. Both official campaigns got 7 sides of leaflet space to set out arguments which were delivered to every household. Quite a few of the arguments are rather similar to 2016. You realise all this stuff is archived and easily accessible on the internet right?

My own view on referendums has long been in agreement with Thatcher's (a tool of dictators and demagogues) but I'm not seeing much difference between the two.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
jois

Post by jois »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:12pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 6:45pm It has to be a question that fits on the ballet paper and gives equal chance to both sides

You can't ask do you want stay or leave and die a slow death through cold and starvation. That's a might biased
The 1975 ref question mentioned nothing about cold or starvation, or indeed even made any argument either way, rather odd you imply it did. Both official campaigns got 7 sides of leaflet space to set out arguments which were delivered to every household. Quite a few of the arguments are rather similar to 2016. You realise all this stuff is archived and easily accessible on the internet right?

My own view on referendums has long been in agreement with Thatcher's (a tool of dictators and demagogues) but I'm not seeing much difference between the two.
I think you may have to consider what you think I wrote.because it certainly wasn't that

Even in the bit you quoted I said you Can't ask.....
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:42pm EDIT:- i've just heard someone who "works in the city" claiming he and others like him on six figure sums,deserve the tax cuts.
Though when asked about whether nurses deserve the same tax cut and asked where he thought his taxes went,claimed that his present taxes didn't go to nurses pay but some how was lost somewhere in government coffers.
Equally there are plenty in the city who think this is madness. As some have indicated, what's the point in being £5k pa better off when all the public services are falling to bits?
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
jois

Post by jois »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:16pm
reohn2 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:42pm EDIT:- i've just heard someone who "works in the city" claiming he and others like him on six figure sums,deserve the tax cuts.
Though when asked about whether nurses deserve the same tax cut and asked where he thought his taxes went,claimed that his present taxes didn't go to nurses pay but some how was lost somewhere in government coffers.
Equally there are plenty in the city who think this is madness. As some have indicated, what's the point in being £5k pa better off when all the public services are falling to bits?
Im guessing as you used the word plenty rather than a specific % that this isn't at all based on a pole or survey of those in the city
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Nope, was just complementary anecdotes to go with reohn2's, not claimed them to be anything else.

The Government has announced the results of the renegotiation of the United Kingdom's terms of membership of the European Community.

Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)? (Yes/No)
The first statement is neutral, it makes no suggestion as to whether those renegotiated terms were good or bad.

The question is factual (those were the names of the ec at the time). As yes/no it does have some risk of acquiescence bias, however as it clearly asks the respondent's opinion and the topic matter was will discussed and known about this really isn't going to be significant here, not like it helped the Scottish nationalists in 2014! Even on badly worded agree/disagree questions with little prior knowledge you might get up to 20% swing. The 75 result was 67% to 33%...

The political element was well discussed at the time, the LSE has electronic copies of many of the leaflets from then.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:16pm
I don't doubt it,I'm reporting on one man's opinion and how hollow and selfish it was,I've no doubt he won't be alone.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jois

Post by jois »

Stevek76 wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 8:49pm Nope, was just complementary anecdotes to go with reohn2's, not claimed them to be anything else.

The Government has announced the results of the renegotiation of the United Kingdom's terms of membership of the European Community.

Do you think that the United Kingdom should stay in the European Community (the Common Market)? (Yes/No)
The first statement is neutral, it makes no suggestion as to whether those renegotiated terms were good or bad.

The question is factual (those were the names of the ec at the time). As yes/no it does have some risk of acquiescence bias, however as it clearly asks the respondent's opinion and the topic matter was will discussed and known about this really isn't going to be significant here, not like it helped the Scottish nationalists in 2014! Even on badly worded agree/disagree questions with little prior knowledge you might get up to 20% swing. The 75 result was 67% to 33%...

The political element was well discussed at the time, the LSE has electronic copies of many of the leaflets from then.
It was no longer the common market so that's a falsehood for a start

It also wasn't the United Kingdom, that's inaccurate. But possibly not crucial

But as there were only two and they got both wrong it doesn't fill you with confidence
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Stevek76 wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 6:34pm Might be setting myself up for egg on face here but if she keeps on like this I'm not sure truss will last a year.
Well yougov have just posted their largest ever labour lead (45% to 28%) so at this rate she might not even last this year
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

NickAnstead-FdnOd0FWYAc6D3z.jpg
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:33pm
francovendee wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:19pm
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 2:37pm

There are some standard around health and safety and health and safety management. That they have in their sights. This is the " red tape" they like to refere to.

I'm not in agreement with scrapping these. But that's not the same as effecting exports.

The EU won't like it as it may give us an advantage in the ,,"trade war"
It's early days but on food standards, electrical standards etc the temptation to go for our own standards may be on the cards.
There is talk of matching UK standards to the EU's but it's not a policy.
If it's only health and safety and safety management, then what was the talk of a bonfire of EU rules about?
I'm afraid the lure of additional profit if standards are lowered and must be tempting to some employers.
Depends which standards, I think the context was the British standards standards. There are a whole load of rules that arnt in British
standards

I think it maybe quite small bonfire
If we were dealing with a grown up government then it would indeed be a very small bonfire. We are in the hands of an infantile fanatical anti-EU bunch of rich far right politicians.
Anything but sound sense is possible.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 7:53am
jois wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:33pm
francovendee wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 5:19pm
It's early days but on food standards, electrical standards etc the temptation to go for our own standards may be on the cards.
There is talk of matching UK standards to the EU's but it's not a policy.
If it's only health and safety and safety management, then what was the talk of a bonfire of EU rules about?
I'm afraid the lure of additional profit if standards are lowered and must be tempting to some employers.
Depends which standards, I think the context was the British standards standards. There are a whole load of rules that arnt in British
standards

I think it maybe quite small bonfire
If we were dealing with a grown up government then it would indeed be a very small bonfire. We are in the hands of an infantile fanatical anti-EU bunch of rich far right politicians.
Anything but sound sense is possible.
Which has been proven under Johnson and set to get worse under Truss IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Nomura, the Japanese bank, forecast that the pound would end the year below parity against the dollar while Paul Donovan, the chief economist at UBS global wealth management, said investors were inclined to see the Conservative party as a “doomsday cult”.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -rate-hike
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Commentators on TV last night were talking about how Kwarteng is probably toast (probably in about 6 months). They were saying Truss wont take the blame but will throw her friend "under the bus". I have my doubts she can scapegoat her appointee doing what she committed to in her manifesto and has become widely known as Trussonomics.

Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Former US Treasury secretary Larry Summers warned the pound could fall below the dollar due to the huge spending commitments outlined by Mr Kwarteng.

"It makes me very sorry to say, but I think the UK is behaving a bit like an emerging market turning itself into a submerging market," Mr Summers told Bloomberg.

"Between Brexit, how far the Bank of England got behind the curve and now these fiscal policies, I think Britain will be remembered for having pursuing the worst macroeconomic policies of any major country in a long time."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"The decision to pay Liz Truss’s new chief of staff, Mark Fullbrook, through a private company has been dropped after criticism from within the Conservatives as well as from opposition parties."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... is-dropped

Amazing what transparency and pluralism can achieve. Unfortunate that they aren't built into the system of appointment.

Jonathan