Trikes blocked by barriers on permitted routes

Huntress_Amelia

Recumbent trikes, and possible difficulty with barriers

Post by Huntress_Amelia »

Hello, I just found out today that I haven't been on this website in 7 whole years, well I am back, and really thinking about getting one of those cool ICE Trike recumbent tricycles, Specifically the Adventure HD.

My main concern are the bike barriers that seem to be on all trails, paths, and other such routes I would normally cycle down, my bicycle I can sometimes get off and push through, lift over, but a tricycle is heavier and a lot more bulky to lift, sure this specific model can be folded, but who wants to fold and unfold just to clear a barrier?

I know some, I could possibly ride under, but the A-shaped ones would seem to be too narrow even at the bottom for something this wide, it almost seems like the government doesn't even want cyclists to be using the cycleways it builds at times.

I also wish that Bikemap would give information on upcoming barriers on the map when you are riding, so you know about it before riding for thirty minutes up a path you can't access later due to your trailer being unable to get through the barrier, something I will contact them about.
jois

Re: Recumbent trikes, and possible difficulty with barriers

Post by jois »

Huntress_Amelia wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 7:10pm Hello, I just found out today that I haven't been on this website in 7 whole years, well I am back, and really thinking about getting one of those cool ICE Trike recumbent tricycles, Specifically the Adventure HD.

My main concern are the bike barriers that seem to be on all trails, paths, and other such routes I would normally cycle down, my bicycle I can sometimes get off and push through, lift over, but a tricycle is heavier and a lot more bulky to lift, sure this specific model can be folded, but who wants to fold and unfold just to clear a barrier?

I know some, I could possibly ride under, but the A-shaped ones would seem to be too narrow even at the bottom for something this wide, it almost seems like the government doesn't even want cyclists to be using the cycleways it builds at times.

I also wish that Bikemap would give information on upcoming barriers on the map when you are riding, so you know about it before riding for thirty minutes up a path you can't access later due to your trailer being unable to get through the barrier, something I will contact them about.
The reason they are there at least the ones I come accross is to stop motorbikes, some make getting an ordinary bike through a bit of a challenge, you'd have no chance with a tricycle unless you could hold it over your head.

Ion the bright side the motorbike lads have a habit of coming back with angle grinders and removing them and eventually the council gives up

I'm not sure how they could stop scramblers and not trikes
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Do the barriers have a locked gate? And if they do, is it a Radar lock (i.e. one you could open/use with a Radar key)?

Ian
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I ride an ICE Adventure which is slightly narrower than the HD version you are looking at. I also run a Facebook group and organise group rides. Some of the members ride the HD Adventure. Many of the barriers are accessible. Some require a careful approach. Occasionally the chicane type barriers are to short to allow the trike to turn. The A frame style barriers are generally ok, but we have encountered a few which have been set up too narrow even for a narrow track trike. I test ride every route before running a group ride so that I know that any barriers can be negotiated or avoided. I hope this answer is useful.
Huntress_Amelia

Post by Huntress_Amelia »

That is useful to know, though for people wanting to ride up and down the country on long excursions, they might not have the benefit of a test ride, and mistakes could add much more time to their week or two trips.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

If you have a Facebook account, the group I administer is South West and Wales trike riders. We have a number of members and extensive knowledge of routes so if we can provide you with our advise just let us know.
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I ride an ICE trike, too. Those barriers are a right PITA, aren't they? Usually I do get through, but it usually calls for a dismount, some wriggling of the trike and fingers crossed that there's enough space. It usually works. Sometimes, as an addition to the barrier, the well-intentioned planners insert a "step" in the middle. This can be as troublesome as the barrier, requiring lifting, dragging and catching the underside on the top of the step.

HOWEVER ........ the good news is that I've never actually been halted in my journey. The one time I thought I would be (crossing a footbridge across the river Aire south of Leeds, on a NCN route) two young, strong cyclist (they all look young to me through my 73 year old eyes !!) simply lifted it up above their heads, camping gear and all, and walked down the steps.

I go, cross my fingers and trust that I can get round problems as they arise. It helps that I'm not precious about the looks of the trike (scrapes and scratches, etc). But, I guess, one day this approach may not work.
Slackhouse

Trikes blocked by barriers on permitted routes

Post by Slackhouse »

I have just lost the ability to ride two wheels so now ride three.

I have come across, along with my fellow recumbent trike riders, routes blocked to our access by styles and chicanes not fit for purpose.

Unfortunately some of the failures are on Sustrans routes, I in my case the Calderdale cycle way.

This is a discrimination against trike riders and also disabled people who ride trikes as a means of recreation.

Can we organise a record of in-accessibility to campaign for the removal of these obstacles?

There has been a recent convention supporting access for all - let us see it in action for trike riders who, at the moment, are being discriminated.
gaz

Re: Trikes blocked by barriers on permitted routes

Post by gaz »

OP might find this previous thread of interest.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I often ride with my dog in a 2 wheeled trailer towed behind my bike and encounter the same sort of problem that a trike user would. We have a great off road canal towpath near where I live. It goes for 25 or more miles from Nottingham to Grantham, winding its way across the scenic Vale of Belvoir. I often ride along the towpath on my own but can’t take the dog because the stupid barriers where the canal meets a road make it impossible to pass through with a trailer. They don’t even prevent motorbikes. I often walk my dog along the canal too. Twice in recent weeks, I’ve encountered motorbikes being illegally ridden on the towpath.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pwa

Post by pwa »

The simple, practical solution is to get the tape measure out, survey the routes you envisage wanting to use most, then get a bicycle or whatever that fits. Or start a local campaign to have path infrastructure changed. Only one of those two solutions is likely to benefit you in a practical way in time for next summer. That's just how it is. We have debated the rights and wrongs of this before, at great length, but for the individual, wanting a practical solution PDQ, getting a machine that works on the routes as they are is the only way to ensure trouble-free cycling in the short to medium term.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mention of canals has reminded me that they are governed by their own legislation. Some of the oldest posts on the forum relate to canal cycling permits (towpath, not the wet bit :wink: .. )

I've got mine somewhere from long ago, but they used to be downloadable free. There's a fairly recent post with a pic of one (by millimole?)

I think the history is that at the time of water privatisation, the future of the canals as "legacy" infrastructure was iffy, and they were hived off to a charity. Anyway, I've followed an ancient link to what was posted as the application for a permit, and I've found the FAQs which start with this but there's more after these
Do I need a permit to cycle on towpaths?

You don’t need a permit to cycle on our towpaths. We simply ask that you cycle with great care for pedestrians, wildlife and the fabric of our waterways to ensure that everyone can enjoy them to their full potential.

Is the towpath a public right of way?
Most towpaths are not public rights of way. Instead, the majority of our towpaths are ‘permissive paths’ as we allow members of the public to use them. Occasionally we need to close towpaths to carry out maintenance work
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... cling-faqs

This may be the organisation to contact over specific problems, but I'd say, don't hold your breath. I fancy they feel they have survived the threat of scrapping canals and are now a charity like so many others

AFAIK, one access problem for trikes on off-road routes, is that while bicycles are permitted on bridle paths, that does only extend to bicycles. I didn't see that on this thread or on gaz's link.

(I only knew that because it has been explained on here in the past)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 10:02amAFAIK, one access problem for trikes on off-road routes, is that while bicycles are permitted on bridle paths, that does only extend to bicycles.
Oooo - I'm an outlaw triker :twisted: 8) :lol: Where's my Motörhead T-shirt :roll:
"42"
pwa

Post by pwa »

squeaker wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 10:54am
thirdcrank wrote: 11 Mar 2023, 10:02amAFAIK, one access problem for trikes on off-road routes, is that while bicycles are permitted on bridle paths, that does only extend to bicycles.
Oooo - I'm an outlaw triker :twisted: 8) :lol: Where's my Motörhead T-shirt :roll:
What problems do you have with access barriers, using your trike?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've dug out an earlier post (by gaz) about bicycles on bridle ways

viewtopic.php?p=401025#p401025