Bicycle comfort is it a dream?

Jdsk

Re: Bicycle comfort is it a dream?

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 11:36pmA body in this case me weights 200lbs and has two(3) points of contact how do I transfer 30lbs of body weight to the front wheel with out putting an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms ?
By "an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms" are you describing the vertical downward force exerted by the hands on the bars? Or something else?

Thanks

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 11:58pm
jois wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 11:36pmA body in this case me weights 200lbs and has two(3) points of contact how do I transfer 30lbs of body weight to the front wheel with out putting an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms ?
By "an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms" are you describing the vertical downward force exerted by the hands on the bars? Or something else?

Thanks

Jonathan
I'm describing the amount of body weight going through my arms.i haven't mentioned the load on the bars at all
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:00am
I'm describing the amount of body weight going through my arms.i haven't mentioned the load on the bars at all
Going through your arms to where? Somewhere other than through the hands on the bars? How is it affecting the measured load in your method of measurement with scales under the wheels if it doesn't connect to the bike through the bars?

Thanks

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:04am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:00am
Going through your arms to where? Somewhere other than through the hands on the bars? How is it affecting the measured load in your method of measurement with scales under the wheels if it doesn't connect to the bike through the bars?

Thanks

Jonathan
I didn't say it didn't go through the bars I just didn't mention it
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rfryer wrote: 27 Sep 2022, 10:49pmIf you sit back on your saddle and wave your arms in the air, your front wheel will still not be weightless.
Yes, that's precisely the thought experiment that shows why the described method of measurement with scales under the wheels doesn't give the force on the bars (and the hands) and on the saddle (and the pelvis).

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:05am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:00am I'm describing the amount of body weight going through my arms.i haven't mentioned the load on the bars at all
Whether you said it or not do you now agree that "the amount of body weight going through my arms" is the vertical force exerted by the hands on the bars? Or something else?

Thanks

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:09am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:05am
Whether you said it or not do you now agree that "the amount of body weight going through my arms" is the vertical force exerted by the hands on the bars? Or something else?

Thanks

Jonathan
The bars are largely irelivent. 30lbs of body weight has transferred from back to front and have loaded my arms up by 30lbs of body weight. That's what I said in my first post and what I'm saying now. If you have an explanation that doesn't involve extra load on my arms I'm all ears

You're still trying to contradict things I haven't said
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:13amThe bars are largely irelivent.
How does the load on the arms affect the front wheel (and the measurement of the weight with scales) if not through the bars?

Thanks

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:22am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:13amThe bars are largely irelivent.
How does the load on the arms affect the front wheel (and the measurement of the weight with scales) if not through the bars?

Thanks

Jonathan
You may as well say if not through the stem or the frame or the forks or the wheel spindle or the tyres. It's a chain I'm not working my way through every component as you have a handle bar obsession .

There is a correlation between the load on the wheel and that on my arms! You don't seem to be contesting that. You just want to divert from what I actually said to that which you feel able to contradict and talk about handle bars
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:29amThere is a correlation between the load on the wheel and that on my arms! You don't seem to be contesting that.
Nobody has "contested" that there's a "correlation" or "relation" or "influence" or that one affects or the other. What three of us are saying is that you can't measure the amount of the body weight carried by the hands and by the pelvis simply by measuring the weight at the front and rear wheels with scales.

There's a simple thought experiment above that shows that.

And if you were able to answer what you mean by "an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms" I'd show why without that thought experiment.

Where is that weight going "through" to?

Thanks

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:35am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:29amThere is a correlation between the load on the wheel and that on my arms! You don't seem to be contesting that.
Nobody has "contested" that there's a "correlation" or "relation" or "influence" or that one affects or the other. What three of us are saying is that you can't measure the amount of the body weight carried by the hands and by the pelvis simply by measuring the weight at the front and rear wheels with scales.

There's a simple thought experiment above that shows that.

And if you were able to answer what you mean by "an additional 30lbs of body weight through my arms" I'd show why without that thought experiment.

Where is that weight going "through" to?

Thanks

Jonathan
You coming across as a mite obsessive . And some what unable to grasp simple concepts like body weight going through arms if they are holding body weight.

I cant think how to simpfy it for you

Eeeer

If I do a press up about 70% of my body weight goes through my arms.

Now that weight then goes through the floorboards, the joists, the wall, the foundations and off to the centre of the earth.

Non of that alters the fact that 140lbs of my body weight is going through my arms

I hope that illustration helps with the concept of what going through my arms means. As it's late and I have a documentary on pre dreadnought battleships to watch so youl have to wait till tomorrow if you need more help
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:45am...

Now that weight then goes through the floorboards, the joists, the wall, the foundations and off to the centre of the earth.

Non of that alters the fact that 140lbs of my body weight is going through my arms
So what's the analogy of "the floorboards, the joists, the wall, the foundations" for the problem under consideration? It's the bars and the frame and the wheels. And the saddle and the frame and the wheels.

Can we agree on that?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: You're actually describing the reactive normal forces to the weight rather than the weight. But let's put that to one side.
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:53am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 12:45am...

So what's the analogy of "the floorboards, the joists, the wall, the foundations" for the problem under consideration? It's the bars and the frame and the wheels. And the saddle and the frame and the wheels.

Can we agree on that?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: You're actually describing the reactive normal forces to the weight rather than the weight. But let's put that to one side.
I'm describing what I said in my opening posts, I've been consistently repeating the same thing. If you want to call it reactive normal forces that's ok with me il call it % of body weight

I'm still waiting for an alternate explanation of how I can increase the load on the front wheel by 30lbs and not have the same reactive normal force through my arms ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:01amI'm still waiting for an alternate explanation of how I can increase the load on the front wheel by 30lbs and not have the same reactive normal force through my arms ?
The explanation of how the force is distributed will follow when you feel able to discuss how the "weight through your arms" gets to the front wheels.

I think that it's through the bars and the frame and the wheels.

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:10am
jois wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 1:01amI'm still waiting for an alternate explanation of how I can increase the load on the front wheel by 30lbs and not have the same reactive normal force through my arms ?
The explanation of how the force is distributed will follow when you feel able to discuss how the "weight through your arms" gets to the front wheels.

I think that it's through the bars and the frame and the wheels.

Jonathan
I think I confirm the chain a few posts ago