More "road" 27.5+ tyres?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
GotVeryFat

More "road" 27.5+ tyres?

Post by GotVeryFat »

Hello nice people!

I've got a pair of 2.8" WTB Trailblazer's on my Genesis Longitude. Absolutely perfect, set tubeless without any punctures with heavy gravel touring for many km in them.

But!

I'd like to put some slightly more road/smooth gravel friendly and faster tyres for European roads without changing the bike. Is this possible?

Many thanks
NickJP

Re: More "road" 27.5+ tyres?

Post by NickJP »

I've been using Compass Switchback Hill 650B X 48 tubeless on the road with good results. They're a file tread road tyre, quite light, and quite expensive, but last a long time. They ride very nicely.

Review here: https://road.cc/content/review/244744-c ... ralight-tc.
fossala

Post by fossala »

I use 26” extra light Rene herse tyres. Nothing but good things to say. Shame about the price but as Nick said, they last a long time.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

There aren't many options in 27.5 X 2.8
But there are some.
e.g.
https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g ... 08443.html
PH

Post by PH »

GotVeryFat wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 6:42am I'd like to put some slightly more road/smooth gravel friendly and faster tyres for European roads without changing the bike. Is this possible?
Many thanks
Middle way might be to change wheels and have a pair of 700c for road use.
OK, it's an initial expense, but if you're going to change the type of riding you use it for frequently, then swapping wheels is less of an job than swapping tyres, more so if tubeless.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Schwalbe G one speed?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Quite a few gravel tyres are 650b so you should have a good choice. Sub 50mm and semi slick .
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

mattsccm wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 7:13pm Quite a few gravel tyres are 650b so you should have a good choice. Sub 50mm and semi slick .
Yeah but the OP is wanting 27.5+ size tyres and is replacing 2.8 inch tyres, so sub 50mm will quite likely be unsuitable.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

I'd like to put some slightly more road/smooth gravel friendly and faster tyres for European roads without changing the bike. Is this possible?
Yes, but you won't have many options in 2.8 and you have two problems if you change the tyre size:
The wheel rims might not be suitable for a narrower tyre
A narrower tyre will have a smaller outside diameter, which will lower the height of the bicycle frame and may lead to a pedal hitting the ground when cornering/off-road
A small change should be okay, but you'll need to check that first
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mxg01

Post by mxg01 »

Yes, it's possible. I've got Schwalbe Almotion tyres (27.5x2.15") on my Longitude. You can't go too narrow on the rims that come with the bike, they are an internal width of 35mm. I've done about 6,000km on the Almotions and they are fine on the road and rough tracks. Even when fully loaded for camping. They are not tubeless but they are definitely faster than the Trailblazers.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

NickJP wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 10:29am I've been using Compass Switchback Hill 650B X 48 tubeless on the road with good results. They're a file tread road tyre, quite light, and quite expensive, but last a long time. They ride very nicely.

Review here: https://road.cc/content/review/244744-c ... ralight-tc.
Hi Nick, I have the similar Rene Herse (RH) 650b x 42mm, and share your views above. I’m thinking about trying the Switchback Hills. May I ask where you sourced yours from? Did you buy directly from Rene Herse or a UK / EU supplier?

Cheers,

Luke

PS, for the OP; if your rims allow, Panaracer also offer Pasela tyres in 27.5 x 1.75” size.
I’ve used these too and they’re a great tyre as well. Maybe 90% as nice as the RH but half the price.
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

LuckyLuke wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 6:27amHi Nick, I have the similar Rene Herse (RH) 650b x 42mm, and share your views above. I’m thinking about trying the Switchback Hills. May I ask where you sourced yours from? Did you buy directly from Rene Herse or a UK / EU supplier?
I'm actually in Australia. I purchased them from Commuter Cycles in Melbourne.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

PH wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 6:27pm
GotVeryFat wrote: 25 Sep 2022, 6:42am I'd like to put some slightly more road/smooth gravel friendly and faster tyres for European roads without changing the bike. Is this possible?
Many thanks
Middle way might be to change wheels and have a pair of 700c for road use.
OK, it's an initial expense, but if you're going to change the type of riding you use it for frequently, then swapping wheels is less of an job than swapping tyres, more so if tubeless.
PH is absolutely right on this one. Using skinny little tyres on a Plus bike will play havoc with the steering geometry because the contact points will not be where they were designed to be and your bottom bracket (probably already low) will be lowered further giving you pedal strikes. My "plus" bike (A Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 6Fattie 2016) was designed to be run with 27.5" x 3.0" plus tyres OR 29" x 2.0 and to have roughly the same geometry in both cases. 29" / 29er is just another word for 700c diameter rims (albeit wider) so I would look at getting some 29er wheels as PH has suggested. This has the additional advantage of increasing your choice as well. Does that make sense?
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

[/quote]
I'm actually in Australia. I purchased them from Commuter Cycles in Melbourne.
[/quote]

Ah thanks anyway.

Cheers

Luke
GotVeryFat

Post by GotVeryFat »

Thanks for replies everyone! Quite a few details to consider :) Why there has to be a billion rim size, rim width, tyre width combinations out there... :D