Bike mechanics.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brik

Bike mechanics.

Post by Brik »

Does anybody know the going rate for bicycle mechanics?
I'm thinking of starting to offer my skills locally and was wondering what they charge, and how much interest there would be, maybe I could offer a service converting bikes to ebikes?
Jdsk

Re: Bike mechanics.

Post by Jdsk »

Here are some prices from the mechanic who takes on the bits that I can't do on my own:
https://bike-support.co.uk/bike-servicing/

There's a new market in doing assembly, checking and simple fitting for bikes that people have bought online:
https://bike-support.co.uk/bike-building/

and various other prices can be found on that site.

Brik wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:25am ... maybe I could offer a service converting bikes to ebikes?
That's interesting...

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

...make sure you get hold of the service manual for the motor... ;-)
viewtopic.php?t=153257
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There was a post about this, but more about general problems of starting up some time ago. You could try searching.

The main bit I remember is insurance and your liability if anything goes wrong. Be careful.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:38pm There was a post about this, but more about general problems of starting up some time ago. You could try searching.

The main bit I remember is insurance and your liability if anything goes wrong. Be careful.
This?

"Bike service establishments"
viewtopic.php?t=138422

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:43pm
simonhill wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 12:38pm There was a post about this, but more about general problems of starting up some time ago. You could try searching.

This?

"Bike service establishments"
viewtopic.php?t=138422

Jonathan
It wasn't the one I was thinking about, but it covers most issues to think about. The main thing is that the OP is aware of possible liability pitfalls.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:36am Here are some prices from the mechanic who takes on the bits that I can't do on my own:
Jonathan
There are plenty of minor jobs listed where you are glad to be able to do it yourself and save money (so for the OP a plus) but the full service seems a bargain. Maybe by the time the mechanic has set everything up and got to work, he/she might as well continue and go the whole hog and make some decent cash while he/she is at it. For a person who doesn't want to get their hands greasy, it sounds like a win-win.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:36am Here are some prices from the mechanic who takes on the bits that I can't do on my own:
Jonathan
Having never paid anyone to do anything on a bike, that makes an interesting read. I can't see how he makes a living at those prices though, a fiver for a 50 mile round trip to fit a saddle? That wouldn't even cover the petrol. If you want your washing machine fixed they'll charge you a minimum £70 callout before they've done anything. That said, I wouldn't pay someone a fiver to fit a saddle either. I'm not sure I see how he can dismantle a wheel and rebuild it for less than half the price of just building one.

It's not difficult to see how economic growth is making products disposable, and repairers redundant, or why you see some riding around on bikes with rusty chains squeaking, brakes hanging off, and buckled wheels.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

That link is very much like the bronze/silver/gold standard service from my lbs. I guess it's probably working out at £30 an hour for labour for the mechanic. Whichever way you look at it, that's a decent earner! There's a young lad I used to cycle with who is making a good living converting ebikes. He says he's making 200 profit on every bike, each conversion taking roughly half a day. Not a bad way to make your pennies :lol:
Brik

Post by Brik »

Thanks for the replies, I've been self employed as a mobile car mechanic for around 13 years so am aware of the pitfalls, I'll have to mull things over ...
jois

Post by jois »

Brik wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 11:25am Does anybody know the going rate for bicycle mechanics?
I'm thinking of starting to offer my skills locally and was wondering what they charge, and how much interest there would be, maybe I could offer a service converting bikes to ebikes?
Bicycles are not to the most part complex, and the general fall off in mechanical ability since I was young, mean there should a significant market for fixing things a reasonably bright 12 yo could do. So your not likely to be unskilled for it in the extreme.

The only two tricky parts as I see it is getting your name out there and making the job last an hour so you can get 30quid, that and it will be very seasonal.

I have a constant stream of people in the spring, I've never met before ,arriving with " broken " bikes that need no more than attacking with 3in 1 oil and a bit of a twist here and there.

My USP is that I fix nearly anything for packet of golden Virginia, you may need to try a little harder on the marketing
peetee

Post by peetee »

As a self-employed bike mechanic I have to admit that I have never worked to an hourly rate. I am somewhat unconventional in that I price a job based on the sum total of all the work needed. This varies from bike to bike; changing the brake cables and pads on an 80’s road bike is a much quicker job than it is on a contemporary time trial bike so listing a single price for this based on time is not reasonable. Likewise there are numerous jobs that start with the same process so doing two means pricing or the timescale becomes inaccurate.
I never quote over the phone, until you see the bike it’s total guesswork and something unexpected will catch you out. To start with I inspect the bike for free, submit a quote and if the customer is happy with this I start work. If they don’t like it they get the bike back with no charge - although in over 20 years I’ve never had that happen. Just as important is my philosophy that safety comes first and if the customer wants, say, only the gears fixed on a bike with bad brakes then it’s game over.
Judging by my customer feedback, If I am doing anything wrong it’s under-charging them!
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks, peetee. That's very interesting. I can imagine that working well, and I'm glad that it does.

Do potential customers bring the bike to you, or do you go out and collect them, or do you work at people's homes and places of work?

Jonathan
nomm

Post by nomm »

peetee wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 2:57pm As a self-employed bike mechanic I have to admit that I have never worked to an hourly rate. I am somewhat unconventional in that I price a job based on the sum total of all the work needed. This varies from bike to bike; changing the brake cables and pads on an 80’s road bike is a much quicker job than it is on a contemporary time trial bike so listing a single price for this based on time is not reasonable. Likewise there are numerous jobs that start with the same process so doing two means pricing or the timescale becomes inaccurate.
I never quote over the phone, until you see the bike it’s total guesswork and something unexpected will catch you out. To start with I inspect the bike for free, submit a quote and if the customer is happy with this I start work. If they don’t like it they get the bike back with no charge - although in over 20 years I’ve never had that happen. Just as important is my philosophy that safety comes first and if the customer wants, say, only the gears fixed on a bike with bad brakes then it’s game over.
Judging by my customer feedback, If I am doing anything wrong it’s under-charging them!
Its the same in the shop I work in. We have 3 mechanics working almost everyday and still have a two week lead time. Something more unusual or specific that is not covered by the price list, or something that might crop up on a job eg cleaning and recovering a well used part back to life, we may add an hourly rate to or a labour rate that covers the time used.

We also do a general inspection often for free, but also offer a £15 in depth assessment quote, for older or ridden into the ground bikes which may equate to a lot of time for the mechanic to make sure there are no surprises for the customer.

Has worked like this for a while, and still continues to be a winner with our customers. The shop has been running for 15+ years! We have noticed that some local shops do charge as much as £75 hourly rates, but with the price of rent/energy/labour its understandable.

We too often get asked to do a 'quick fix' or bodge for customers, but like you say if the bike isn't safe we will not complete this type of work. Sadly there are a lot of second hand dealers in the area selling dangerous and very poor quality bikes that we would deem to be unsafe to ride. Its very sad to tell someone that their £200 new to them bike needs £250+ worth of work to make ridable and/or safe.