Ponch reccomendations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

Ponch reccomendations

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

I've decided to indulge myself any buy a poncho. I know they can flap about a bit, but I still fancy giving one a try. Besides... whatever layers I use, with waterproof jackets, I'm a dreadfully sweaty beast when cycling. Goretex turns more Phwoar-tex with the pong!
Too much detail? Apologies.

Any recommendations for a decent poncho? Not one with sleeves...I want the whole business covering my hands etc. Carradice looks interesting...but do they roll up well?
ANTONISH

Re: Ponch reccomendations

Post by ANTONISH »

I think by poncho you mean a cycling cape.
Once widely used but now most cyclists don't use them.
I have a Rotrax cape which is very effective - I could cycle all day and get only slightly damp.

The drawback is that signalling in todays fast moving traffic is difficult and for that reason I don't often use it.
I last used it when I rode the Danube cycle path - no traffic and it kept me dry - all day in one instance - so it works well.

If you are intent on buying one make sure it has a reasonable weight - nylon is too light and if you don't us the thumb loops (I usually don't) it can blow up at the front and cover your face - interesting and dangerous.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I bought the Carradice Pro Cape, supposedly one size fits all, but it didn’t and I couldn’t do up the waist band. Then I discovered/remembered why I gave up riding in a cape years ago. Hard to control in the wind, which often accompanies rain and you get a puddle between your forearms. I only used it a couple of times and sold it to a Gentleman of this parish. If I was to buy another, it would be the Carradice waxed cotton Duxback one, as it’s heavier and won’t blow about.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

I used my Carradice Pro Route cape yesterday. I've been using it for a few years now and love it; it has "ribbons" to tie at the waist, generously sized thumb loops and a good length zip. I don't use the hood on it but keep it folded into the collar. Never had any problem with it in the wind - it might lift a little at the back (but not enough that it can't do its job) when the wind is at a particular angle and strength but this hardly ever happens. Water does puddle between the arms but that isn't a problem and I find it satisfying knowing that it would otherwise be on me and besides, I enjoy knocking it out from below :D . I have no problem using my bar-end shifters and whilst hand signal are more awkward, they can be done, albeit not as high or far out, man.

I have a "People's Poncho" too but I tend not to use it on the bike though it does get used by my partner when she's in the wheelchair. It's a lovely item but lighter and shorter than the Carradice and so not as good on the bike imho but good for off the bike. The Carradice is cheaper too (less than half the price).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)