Eurovelo 15 Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Eurovelo 15 Advice

Post by st599_uk »

Oh, and don't forget Sunday trading in Germany is almost non-existent.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Ronno57

Post by Ronno57 »

Thanks for info. I know Baccarach well and have been up to the hostel but only for coffee. I'll defo keep it in mind for a stop. Thanks
Ronno57

Post by Ronno57 »

Thanks for info. I know Baccarach well and have been up to the hostel but only for coffee. I'll defo keep it in mind for a stop. Thanks
Ronno57

Post by Ronno57 »

We have decided to cycle to Haarlem from the DFDS ferry port then take the train to Jockgrim, stay a few days then cycle the Eurovelo 15 north back to the ferry port. The main reason being that we can book return ferries and UK train tickets to/from Newcastle well in advance of our trip. My original plan was simply to book single ferry tickets then just turn up at Ijmuiden at the end of our trip and book the return ferry and UK train (probably a day or two prior to our return home) but it seems that such short notice ticket purchases on DFDS can be a couple of hundred quid more expensive than booking a cabin well in advance. This way, if we find we are running out of time to get back to Ijmuiden, we can jump on the train for part of the more northerly/industrial/less scenic part of the route and not miss out the best parts of the route.

I’ve got a Garmin Edge 830 which I’m just finding my way around. I’ll use it on the trip, primarily to find accommodation. Can I ask what’s the best way to download the Eurovelo 15 route? The route planner on the Eurovelo website allows me to plan a route from Speyer to Rotterdam but then won’t allow me to save it and transfer it to Garmin Connect. (I’m using an iMac and Apple and Garmin don’t seem to be a too user friendly combo). I’ve looked at Strava and Komoot to try and plan the route but both use the most direct (road) routes between Jockgrim/Speyer and Rotterdam and I can’t seem get a Eurovelo 15 route.

Thanks
ossie

Post by ossie »

Have you tried cycletravel

https://cycle.travel/map

Having done EV15 from the Hook to Basel it worked a treat on an old Garmin etrex utilising Garmin basecamp .
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Ronno57 wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 7:19pm ...
I’ve got a Garmin Edge 830 which I’m just finding my way around. I’ll use it on the trip, primarily to find accommodation. Can I ask what’s the best way to download the Eurovelo 15 route? The route planner on the Eurovelo website allows me to plan a route from Speyer to Rotterdam but then won’t allow me to save it and transfer it to Garmin Connect. (I’m using an iMac and Apple and Garmin don’t seem to be a too user friendly combo). I’ve looked at Strava and Komoot to try and plan the route but both use the most direct (road) routes between Jockgrim/Speyer and Rotterdam and I can’t seem get a Eurovelo 15 route.
I prepare routes on a Mac before loading them on to an Edge 1000. I don't use Garmin Connect. I mount the Garmin as a USB mass storage device then use the Finder to put the files in a privileged folder on the Garmin. It then automatically imports them. This works very well once you have a USB cable that the Garmin likes.

Jonathan
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Ronno57 wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 7:19pm My original plan was simply to book single ferry tickets then just turn up at Ijmuiden at the end of our trip and book the return ferry and UK train (probably a day or two prior to our return home) but it seems that such short notice ticket purchases on DFDS can be a couple of hundred quid more expensive than booking a cabin well in advance.
Also, post-Brexit if you're a UK citizen, technically you need to be able to show return tickets when you enter the EU. You may not be asked, but if you are you may not get in.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Ronno57

Post by Ronno57 »

st599_uk wrote: 14 Aug 2023, 9:35am
Ronno57 wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 7:19pm My original plan was simply to book single ferry tickets then just turn up at Ijmuiden at the end of our trip and book the return ferry and UK train (probably a day or two prior to our return home) but it seems that such short notice ticket purchases on DFDS can be a couple of hundred quid more expensive than booking a cabin well in advance.
Also, post-Brexit if you're a UK citizen, technically you need to be able to show return tickets when you enter the EU. You may not be asked, but if you are you may not get in.
Good point
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

You can find accommodation for cyclists in Germany through Bett+Bike https://www.bettundbike.de/en/. You can download the complete list as a GPX file containing POIs. Technically they are waypoints (wpt). They include phone numbers and web addresses. I use this on my Teasi. It can find all of them nearby sorted in distance order, then navigate you to one you choose. Does Garmin do that?

Telephone is much faster for booking than faffing around in a web site on a small phone screen. Smaller B+B places might not speak English well. Some may not take credit cards. EC (Maestro) cards are more widely accepted. I have no idea if a UK card works on this system. There are still some places that take only cash, fewer since Covid.

Enjoy the journey! Gute Reise!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.