When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: When will Eurostar recommence carrying bikes?

Post by st599_uk »

Excellent letter from Eurostar to the Transport Select Committee setting out the issues today.

https://twitter.com/EurostarJustinp/sta ... 4337495041

No government help during Covid, so they've had to take on a large debt to prevent going bust.

Passport stamp requirements for British Citizens have forced them to use all their spare space at St Pancras for passport control points, but even with new booths capacity has dropped from 2200 per hour to 1500 per hour.

Much higher costs to track owners per km in the UK than in Europe and can't employ enough engineers.

Therefore, fewer trains running, no intermediate stops as that would spread the limited border capacity and an end to their growth strategy
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting.

Jonathan

PS: Yet another example of the value of Parliamentary Select Committees.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Interesting to see the situation laid out like that. From our perspective as cycle tourists, if they’re looking to maximise profit then carrying bicycles is not going to be a priority any time soon. There’s lots of manual effort involved, plus all the customs formalities, but the ticket is cheaper than one for a regular passenger who carries her bags herself.

This wasn’t mentioned in the letter but my recent experience is that the departure lounge in St Pancras can’t cope with the level of passengers given the new e320s carry 20% more than the e300s. There’s barely any room to sit down, the queues for the two small shops are ridiculous and the toilets are in terrible shape after 15 years of use. Clearly the demand for travel exists but even without the border issues I don’t see how they can provide the right level of service without making the experience worse than flying
CJ

Post by CJ »

F70100 wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 2:29pm The number of bikes being carried on the back of motorhomes (ours included) whilst crossing to and from Europe on ferries this year hasn't been any less than before Brexit. Taking your personal effects abroad for the purposes of tourism is still allowed.

It seems to me that Eurostar needed an excuse not to provide any spaces for bikes, and have chosen Brexit. Meanwhile, every other cross channel transportation route is carrying on as before.
I'm afraid that other cross-channel bicycle transportation methods are NOT carrying on as before. One popular method for organisers of group cycling tours on the continent was to load the bikes in a van and send the people by train or coach. Since Brexit this no longer works. Bikes not accompanied by their owners are classed as goods, with all the associated import-export paperwork and costs in both directions! Several groups have been caught out by this. Even couples taking a couple of extra bikes in their campervan, to be used by another couple driving out later to join them, have been stung with punitive fines for smuggling!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Indeed, the problems with other means of carrying multiple bikes has been well reported.

Discussed at length here:

Import duties on bikes taken on holiday.

viewtopic.php?t=153014
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

In their previous update, Eurostar said they would have something up and running in September. The latest is now "by the end of the year"
Sorry, our bike service isn’t available at the moment. We’re working hard to relaunch the service before the end of the year
If my memory is correct, this is now the third delay with no update: first it was the summer holidays, then September, now it's the end of the year. I'm not holding my breath about anything changing in time for next year's adventures.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Luckily I need a small frame, I'm going in the Rinko direction for tours now, everything driven by hitting the dimensions Eurostar specify for carry-on luggage.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I’ve literally just this morning taken the red-eye Eurostar to Paris with my Bike Friday. Fairly painless; the biggest hassle is that they require folding bikes to be bagged, and though the BF can be, it’s fairly (ok, very) ungainly. Unsurprising given the security theatre and having to put everything through the X-ray machines I guess.

Parisian cyclists are fearless!
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

bohrsatom wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 9:01pm In their previous update, Eurostar said they would have something up and running in September. The latest is now "by the end of the year"
Sorry, our bike service isn’t available at the moment. We’re working hard to relaunch the service before the end of the year
If my memory is correct, this is now the third delay with no update: first it was the summer holidays, then September, now it's the end of the year. I'm not holding my breath about anything changing in time for next year's adventures.
Having read the CEOs letter, not sure bike provision will be high on their list of things to fix. (Not sure it's even within their purview - unaccompanied baggage customs rules are probably something the UK Govt would need to deal with)
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-i ... gage/bikes

"We’re working hard to relaunch the service before the end of January."

Jonathan
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I can't be the only one thinking "which January are they talking about?" :lol:
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

bohrsatom wrote: 6 Jan 2023, 11:00pm I can't be the only one thinking "which January are they talking about?" :lol:
:P

Also, I don't it's a British company; so probably a translation error.
PH

Post by PH »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Jan 2023, 4:57pm https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-i ... gage/bikes

"We’re working hard to relaunch the service before the end of January."

Jonathan
Would be very good news if they did.
Not only for Eurostar users, but if they've found a way to overcome some of the obstacles it could benefit others.
glucas

Post by glucas »

eurostar-bikes.png
Just seen a tweet on Twitter from one of the train mangers who does the Eurostar routes that contains a photo showing a sign on a pillar pointing to where baggage + bikes should be loaded/unloaded. It looks like they are getting ready to accept bikes again.
scragend

Post by scragend »

I came on to flag up the same thing; I knew someone would have beaten me to it!

I was one of the sceptics but this is good news, and hopefully the first step towards all their services allowing bikes on board.