Child bike gearing?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gillsimo

Child bike gearing?

Post by gillsimo »

Hi....My wee fella now has his 1st bike with gears (18 via 3 ring & 6 cassette)
I'd like to get him started with a gearing similar to what he's been accustomed to on his previous single speed bikes.
As I've no single speed bike to refer to in order to count teeth then I'm lost as to what gear selection to choose.
Would middle ring/middle cassette be about right perhaps?
Any help appreciated thanks.
Gill
Jdsk

Re: Child bike gearing?

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome, Gill

I wouldn't worry about the numerical value of the gearing. Do you understand how the front and rear changers work?

Start in middle/ middle or something lower and watch how he manages. Is he struggling to get it going? Are his feet having to move too fast? Then change gear to something that reduces that problem. And repeat.

Jonathan
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I remember my first geared bike. My dad said to just play about with them. I soon figured them out.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
jois

Post by jois »

gillsimo wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 11:40am Hi....My wee fella now has his 1st bike with gears (18 via 3 ring & 6 cassette)
I'd like to get him started with a gearing similar to what he's been accustomed to on his previous single speed bikes.
As I've no single speed bike to refer to in order to count teeth then I'm lost as to what gear selection to choose.
Gill
Agree with vantage, soon figure it out, you could exclude any gears that are clearly impossible for him in any situation. But yes I'd start middle middle and adjust from there if required

I'd be more concerned about getting the seat height right, the only kids bikes I've seen correctly adjusted are those I've done. I wonder how the poor things can cycle at all with some I've seen
531colin

Post by 531colin »

gillsimo wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 11:40am Hi....My wee fella now has his 1st bike with gears (18 via 3 ring & 6 cassette)
Gill
A great many adults can't work out a triple chainring set up.
Can he actually make the gears change?
Many children can only operate the gears "with the spring".....their hands aren't strong enough to operate the gears against the spring, so they end up in the smallest cog front and back, which is ludicrous.
i would certainly try to fix the front gears in the middle ring.
jois

Post by jois »

531colin wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 1:26pm
Gill
A great many adults can't work out a triple chainring set up.
Can he actually make the gears change?
Many children can only operate the gears "with the spring".....their hands aren't strong enough to operate the gears against the spring, so they end up in the smallest cog front and back, which is ludicrous.
i would certainly try to fix the front gears in the middle ring.
They do seem to habitually get twist grips they either cant turn at all in one or both directions, as you said or they don't have the dexterity to only move one click. So leap about between extra high and extra low. They seem to have less trouble with thumb shifters in my exsperiance, certainly at aged 7 or 8 they may fool a 5 yo
gillsimo

Post by gillsimo »

Thank you for all the replies...helpful & appreciated ta.
The bike does have those twist grip changers...they feel much like those on my electric bike & I struggle with those. so my 5yr old wouldn't be changing gears too often, if at all, for some while at a guess.
Also, we're at the stage where he would have more of a clue if I informed him that the bike had ears..gears is just a word!
So...it'll need to remain in a single gear for some while...hence the post & the replies that will now see us sorted I'm sure.
Again...many thanks.
Gill
531colin

Post by 531colin »

The real snag is if he goes "with the spring" he will end up in the smallest chainwheel and the smallest rear sprocket, which is absurd.
I would look towards limiting the travel of the front and rear gear mechanisms, so that it was fixed in the middle chainring of 3 and the middle of the range at the rear. This will likely require longer limit screws, but shouldn't be a difficulty for a competent mechanic.
While we are at it, can he reach the brake levers and exert sufficient force to stop the bike?