Nord Stream 2 - Sabotage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

Re: Nord Stream 2 - Sabotage

Post by Nearholmer »

It’s wearying to have to ask, but: is that real?
Biospace

Post by Biospace »

Nearholmer wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 5:13pm It’s wearying to have to ask, but: is that real?
I'm tempted to ask, "What's real anymore?", but as far as I know, yes.

Although of course a teenager could probably deep-fake our late Queen into saying the same thing. We're all just onlookers in a big power struggle taking place.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

The little Cossack putin for sure, crippling his own pipeline so we can't make a deal with his saner successor, therefore the internal pressure to replace putin eases.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

If Putin hadn't acted now he'd have lost his power once Europe's project to find alternatives is complete. He's burnt our boats for us, so that if we can't find enough energy this winter we won't be able to eat humble pie and go back to Russia for it.

Just wait until his pals in China start switching off all the solar, wind and nuke power they've sold us.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

It’s wearying to have to ask, but: is that real?
Yes, Biden threatened to "shut down Nord Stream 2" (in the words of video-caption linked to).
Let's look at the context:
It was in early February, before the invasion of the whole of the Ukraine (Russia had already taken Crimea and parts of the Donbas years before).
He threatened NS2, not NS1, should Russia continue with its invasion plans.
NS2 had long been divisive with neither the EU, nor the UK, nor the US and other NATO allies seeing the need when existing pipelines already catered for energy supply. Ecological impact on land and the seabed, over-reliance on Russia, etc, etc.
Germany's former Chancellor Gerhard Schröder signed the necessary paperwork in 2005, left office and was nominated by Gazprom to the board of Nord Stream AG.
NS2 was never certificated because of the invasion and has never pumped gas into Germany.
Biden's promise was fulfilled, so why destroy it six months later?
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Ah, I hadn’t picked-up the point about the words relating to the line that hadn’t been commissioned.

TBH, it was such a poor quality video that I was instantly suspicious that it had been doctored.