Encouraging blind cyclists

briansnail

Encouraging blind cyclists

Post by briansnail »

Everyone agrees walking running and cycling contribute enormously to mental and physical health.I was just reading how a Society for the blind paired up sighted and blind riders.
My initial thought is such a pity you cannot do this for cyclists.You can hardly tie handlebars together.Especially on the road.Then i thought of tandems.Do you think there is potential for more blind people to take up cycling via tandems?
I ride Brompton and a 100% Vintage bike
Jdsk

Re: Encouraging blind cyclists

Post by Jdsk »

The Tandem Club: "Tandeming with a disability":
https://tandem-club.org.uk/files/inform ... abled.html

Jonathan
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

briansnail wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 2:01pm Everyone agrees walking running and cycling contribute enormously to mental and physical health.I was just reading how a Society for the blind paired up sighted and blind riders.
My initial thought is such a pity you cannot do this for cyclists.You can hardly tie handlebars together.Especially on the road.Then i thought of tandems.Do you think there is potential for more blind people to take up cycling via tandems?
Up forum there have been other threads talking about this issue. Instead of rehashing it might be worth your while to do a search.
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

Charlottes Tandems I believe do this ?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

They do. And are on the Tandem Club page with many others.

Jonathan
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

A very active tandem group for vision impaired and sighted cyclists in Glasgow.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/group/glasgow-tandem-club
geomannie
S68

Post by S68 »

On the back of a tandem sounds great for the blind but on todays' roads with the volume of traffic I hope nobody is planning to invent AI run automated bikes for the blind :shock:
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

briansnail wrote: 4 Sep 2022, 2:01pm Everyone agrees walking running and cycling contribute enormously to mental and physical health.I was just reading how a Society for the blind paired up sighted and blind riders.
I remember piloting a tamden in the late ‘80’s with a blind stocker on the back, quite an experience. As I recall the tamdens were owned by a charity but I forget which one. Whatever, I’d be happy to pilot again but tamden riding takes a bit of getting used to.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Zulu Eleven

Post by Zulu Eleven »

A number of charity groups do this - I used to help out with ‘open country’ in Harrogate who paired up with Henshaws to do weekly tandem rides off road