Edge 830 Navigation- help please!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Racingt

Re: Edge 830 Navigation- help please!

Post by Racingt »

Thanks rare poster. Your description of what could cause this problem makes perfect sense.

I haven't actually changed anything since unit was received from Garmin, so I was hoping a Factory Reset would be unnecessary. I've looked through options and can restore default settings - and I've forgotten how I did the Factory Reset it on my previous 830.
If I do the Factory reset, or the restore default settings, I have no idea how to ask the device to use my installed Cycle Map of Europe 2021-20.
Or should I be purchasing and installing the Cycle Map Europe, pn 010D1554-03?
Sorry for all the questions, I really appreciate the help. Thanks!
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Racingt wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 7:15pm I've looked through options and can restore default settings - and I've forgotten how I did the Factory Reset it on my previous 830.
Menu symbol > System > Device Reset > Delete Data and Reset Settings > Checkmark symbol.

That *should* do it, once you turn it back in it should go through the full set-up.
Make certain that it's running British OS Grid map coordinates and turn off any options for it to auto-reroute or auto-default to other nav options.

If it's still not reading the maps, you'll have to buy a new SD card pre-loaded with Garmin readable mapping (or you might be able to download from Garmin Connect site and overwrite the existing card).

Good luck!
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Hi Rareposter,
Did the reset & no option seen to validate 'Checkpoint Symbol'.
Nearest POI still in North Rhineland.

And now the phone isn't talking to the Garmin after 10 attempts to reconnect......

Bother...
Racingt

Post by Racingt »

Yay! Sorted!!
I still don't understand why my original unit and Garmin's replacement suffered from the exact same problem.
And it must have taken 12 hours of my time to investigate, web chat, play around etc. This is why I've been avoiding the job for 18 months.
I learnt that Garmin's manuals aren't actually very good, they seem to be more generic than model specific.
Also they use two different sets of words to describe the same function - not ideal, and why they cannot standardise terminology is beyond me. I'm no IT guy but been using computers for 28 years and it seems obvious to me.
How did I fix the device?
Well I deleted 2 of the 3 profiles (Mountain and Indoor), and focussed on Road and ensured all types of roads were 'routable'
Then reloaded maps. Ignore the extrapolated 225 hours for download, it took just 2 hours and my download speed is 35.
I learnt how to load open source maps during the process, and may do this in the future.
Thats it, the device worked. Local POI's and routing sorted.
Why did the replacement suffer the same issues (nearest POI's North Rhineland, no routing in the UK) as my original? Not a clue, and neither do Garmin Support.
Will I change to another brand - Wahoo or similar.
Not a chance after going through all this pain, the last thing I need is another learning curve. Woohoo!!
armaster

Post by armaster »

I had similar issue in road profile: Route Calculation Error - Maps do not have routable roads in this area.

I went to: Settings - Activity Profile - Road - Navigation - Routing: and changed from Automobile Driving to Road Cycling.

It works now.