Thermometer for handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Rob D

Re: Thermometer for handlebars

Post by Rob D »

Also, can you read temperature directly off the Garmin Tempe?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I don't think that it has a built-in display.

Jonathan
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Jonathan, thanks. You mean the Tempe?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, the tempe. (As they write it!)

I haven't got my hands on one yet but there's nothing in the instructions, forum or external reviews that shows or discusses a built-in display... even where I'd expect there to be.

There are some interesting comments on the value of measuring the temperature in a particular place of interest such as a child's trailer. As above... it all depends on what you mean by real or accurate...

Jonathan
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

In reply to anyone who questions the value or accuracy of a thermometer: fair enough. Direct sunlight has an effect, but if travelling at a good speed, I think that effect is greatly reduced. I remember a big descent in Norway 4 years ago, watching the temperature increase as we lost height. The readings I got were close/the same as when parked in the shade.

If one stops in the shade, then an accurate reading is possible.

At the critical 'close to freezing' level, which may be when there is no or limited sun, my old Bontrager computer was pretty well spot on, giving a useful warning of possible ice on the road as temperatures drop. Having had a couple of spills on black ice, I'm keen to avoid a repeat!

Thanks again,

Rob
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 7:59pm
pwa wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:57am I fail to see how a thermometer on the bars could possibly be accurate. It would be exposed to sunlight, wind and rain, all of which could significantly distort the readings.
Temp sensor in my expensive new Garmin is useless. Massively over reads. Same in my previous (also expensive) Garmin. I've no idea as to the cause of the way too high reading (e.g. location close to hot components internally, on the bars, etc.).

My "way over-reads" is based on e.g. nice sunny day and whilst I love heat, a pleasant ride recording an average of 35℃ is not realistic.

Ian
Ian, which Garmin do you have?
Rob
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Rob D wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 10:37am
Psamathe wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 7:59pm
pwa wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 9:57am I fail to see how a thermometer on the bars could possibly be accurate. It would be exposed to sunlight, wind and rain, all of which could significantly distort the readings.
Temp sensor in my expensive new Garmin is useless. Massively over reads. Same in my previous (also expensive) Garmin. I've no idea as to the cause of the way too high reading (e.g. location close to hot components internally, on the bars, etc.).

My "way over-reads" is based on e.g. nice sunny day and whilst I love heat, a pleasant ride recording an average of 35℃ is not realistic.

Ian
Ian, which Garmin do you have?
Rob
Currently the 1040 Solar (I managed to drop my 1030 and broke the screen and Garmin will only swap out with a unit with battery of "unknown" state and for touring I wanted a good battery so decided the Garmin repair/swap-out charge better spent on a new unit).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Tempe.

Photo on my hand (note the pinkie bent with genetics! :D )
The clip allows you to clip it to a belt, saddle bag, under the saddle, shoe ......... or whatever.
Also a photo of the Tempe broken down. It takes a single CR2032 battery that needs to be replaced every year or so. No way to turn it off, so even if the Garmin main unit isn't on, the Tempe is still transmitting.
IMG_1503.jpg
Garmin Tempe Broken.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Hi Ian and Mick - thank you. Interesting stuff. I'm leaning towards the Explorer 2, in which case I'll try its thermometer, getting the tempe if necessary.

Mick, we're almost neighbours - I'm Devon.

Rob
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Hi Rob.
Gunnislake, just over the border from England! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Rob D

Post by Rob D »

Hi Mick. Near Ashburton. Still require a passport tho!
Rob
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Planet Bike computers have a temp display - no idea how accurate it is. It displays deg F only, if you are recording miles and deg C if it's set up for kilometers. Some people (i.e. me) may not like that. They also have a time of day clock which is handy.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West