Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Scotland - an independent nation within 10 years?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes: 89

Tangled Metal

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Tangled Metal »

The voluntary bit was met in 2014. The issue is that not everyone agrees with SNP on the frequency the voluntary bit has to be tested.

If you hold the view that it's as often as suits a political party then you could end up with a continuous referendum campaign until you get the right result for the most vocal on the matter. I doubt that offers much stability for the Union or the Scots. I thought the referendum would knock back SNP's indy campaign for at least 10 to 20 years. Was it 70s to 2014 the last gap? Perhaps too long that one.
Paulatic

Re: Scotland - do you predict that it will be an independent administrative political entity within 10 years?

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 4:18pm I thought the referendum would knock back SNP's indy campaign for at least 10 to 20 years. Was it 70s to 2014 the last gap? Perhaps too long that one.
If any of the promises from the No camp had materialised then I think that 10-20yrs would be true. People don’t like being lied to and should be allowed to change their mind. Tory MPs can change their mind about someone in only 3weeks and they can action it immediately. Not so for Scotland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 4:18pm The voluntary bit was met in 2014. The issue is that not everyone agrees with SNP on the frequency the voluntary bit has to be tested.

If you hold the view that it's as often as suits a political party then you could end up with a continuous referendum campaign until you get the right result for the most vocal on the matter. I doubt that offers much stability for the Union or the Scots. I thought the referendum would knock back SNP's indy campaign for at least 10 to 20 years. Was it 70s to 2014 the last gap? Perhaps too long that one.
For me the question of who can do what is about the Scottish Government, not the SNP.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Oh I forgot about the green party. Itsa SNP / Green party Scottish governmenti guess.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I did think Johnson's departure would make Scottish independence less likely (given how unpopular Johnson was).

Truss's leadership campaign comments about Sturgeon were just childish (and show how immature and inexperience Truss is).

But I do suspect the "not a Budget" will re-vitalise the support for Independence. More damage driven from Westminster outside the control of the Scottish people.

Ian
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Psamathe wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 3:35pm I did think Johnson's departure would make Scottish independence less likely (given how unpopular Johnson was).

Truss's leadership campaign comments about Sturgeon were just childish (and show how immature and inexperience Truss is).

But I do suspect the "not a Budget" will re-vitalise the support for Independence. More damage driven from Westminster outside the control of the Scottish people.
On the other hand with Labour seemingly successfully re-occupying the centre ground and with the SNP embroiled in one scandal after another the Labour vote and seat share could rise considerably. But if a week is a long time in politics then two years is an eternity...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Even with the extraordinary poll results this week you get something like:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/stat ... 2853810192

Jonathan
firedfromthecircus

Post by firedfromthecircus »

Ben@Forest wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 3:43pm ... with Labour seemingly successfully re-occupying the centre ground ...
You call that centre ground?!! :shock:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Joint letter from the "devolved administrations" to the Chancellor:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/call- ... hancellor/

includes:

"We have made clear that inflation has already eroded the devolved budget settlements announced last October yet you have refused to provide a single additional penny for public services or to increase public sector pay. It remains the case that additional funding is urgently needed from the UK Government to support our vital public services in the face of rising prices, energy costs and wage pressures. Our budgets are already stretched beyond the maximum and as responsible governments we are having to make very difficult decisions to balance our budgets, as we do not have the flexibility or borrowing powers that the UK Government has. This approach is unlikely to be sustainable and is putting services at risk.

"It is also important that we see full forecasts from the OBR as soon as possible and we understand that the OBR has now said these can be ready during October.

With the crisis deepening and the prospects for the economy deteriorating by the day, it is essential that you take action to reverse the damage these policies are causing, for the benefit of all parts of the UK. We also seek an urgent quadrilateral meeting with you to discuss this further."

Jonathan
jois

Post by jois »

Jdsk wrote: 1 Oct 2022, 5:34pm Joint letter from the "devolved administrations" to the Chancellor:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/call- ... hancellor/

includes:

"We have made clear that inflation has already eroded the devolved budget settlements announced last October yet you have refused to provide a single additional penny for public services or to increase public sector pay. It remains the case that additional funding is urgently needed from the UK Government to support our vital public services in the face of rising prices, energy costs and wage pressures. Our budgets are already stretched beyond the maximum and as responsible governments we are having to make very difficult decisions to balance our budgets, as we do not have the flexibility or borrowing powers that the UK Government has. This approach is unlikely to be sustainable and is putting services at risk.

"It is also important that we see full forecasts from the OBR as soon as possible and we understand that the OBR has now said these can be ready during October.

With the crisis deepening and the prospects for the economy deteriorating by the day, it is essential that you take action to reverse the damage these policies are causing, for the benefit of all parts of the UK. We also seek an urgent quadrilateral meeting with you to discuss this further."

Jonathan
Typical everyone is struggling,they want more money
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Recurrent questions about the economic plan upthread. Published today:

"Building a New Scotland: A stronger economy with independence":
https://www.gov.scot/publications/build ... ependence/

And yes, it does describe the plan for the currency.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The green party for Scotland is breaking associations with the English and Welsh green party over transphobic comments. Always been separate parties but they worked together at times. This has now stopped until the Scottish party deems the E&W party has shown them enough respect and done something about the transphobia.

What do you make of that?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 4:16pm The green party for Scotland is breaking associations with the English and Welsh green party over transphobic comments. Always been separate parties but they worked together at times. This has now stopped until the Scottish party deems the E&W party has shown them enough respect and done something about the transphobia.

What do you make of that?
Looks as if SGP can make up their own minds and decisions. Unlike Scot Tory or Scot Labour branch offices.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

But what's it about? SGP seemed to make it out about transphobic comments but tagged the respecting them bit. What's happened? What is the lack of respect bit about?