Shaped socks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Shaped socks

Post by Mick F »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:22pm I like that photo, Mick F.

But the socks are of a past time!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was the end of a sponsored 500mile ride from Niagara Falls, Canada to Portsmouth, New Hampshire raising money for a local orphanage. The ship I was in at the time - HMS Sirius - was affiliated to Portsmouth NH because it was built in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.

Raleigh Clubman bought in Dales Cycles Glasgow in 1983, sort of "gearing modified" by me.
Swapped to a Stronglight 99 double with custom rings ............. still have it with a variety of extra rings and it was used on Mercian ............ and I fitted a Campag Rally long-cage rear mech to it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Just carrying on the theme of white socks (sorry, shaped calves will resume shortly) I know this used to be de rigueur for time trialling (and for roadies too?) and the justification was that white socks, flashing up and down, were eye-catching, especially in the days when TTers were by regulation clad in all black or plain colours. Similar logic to pedal reflectors today. But was that still required for time trials in your day, Mick? And was it also required in road racing? In fact, was it ever required or was it just a convention?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Back to socks that fit cyclists' calves: these should fit, they can be custom made.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/plane ... ews-296289
“The sock is measured according to the size of your foot, the length and the diameter of your calf,” says Sockeloen. “This allows you to make a sock that fits perfectly, falls within the UCI rules and never slips. In addition, we help you determine the right material based on the speed and temperature in which you want to perform.”
If you need to ask the price, you can't afford them. Or you're insufficiently committed to winning. Or you acknowledge that the quality of the calf is more important than the sock.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

Steve wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:37pm
Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:59am All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed over time.

Does anyone know if you can buy a shaped sock to accommodate a developed calf muscle or do I just buy larger socks?
Have you considered socks for diabetic people? They have loose cuffs so as not to impede circulation.
Or M&S "Gentle Grip" socks?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Mick F wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:18pm 3" or so is my preference for socks too.
Lidl or any shop, does it for me. I have two or three pairs of white ones.
Only wear them in the cooler/colder weather as I'm in cycling sandals for six months of the year. As the weather becomes cooler/colder I'll wear cycling shoes and socks with shorts, and it needs to be quite chilly before I wear my bib longs ........... same shoes and socks.

This is me in Portsmouth New Hampshire USA in 1986! :D
Portsmouth NH.jpg
Nice bike -- why don't they make them like that anymore?
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 5:37pm Back to socks that fit cyclists' calves: these should fit, they can be custom made.
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/plane ... ews-296289
“The sock is measured according to the size of your foot, the length and the diameter of your calf,” says Sockeloen. “This allows you to make a sock that fits perfectly, falls within the UCI rules and never slips. In addition, we help you determine the right material based on the speed and temperature in which you want to perform.”
If you need to ask the price, you can't afford them. Or you're insufficiently committed to winning. Or you acknowledge that the quality of the calf is more important than the sock.
Thanks Bm I'll investigate these
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

nosmarbaj wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:56pm
Steve wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:37pm
Cowsham wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 12:59am All my socks are the same girth from ankle up. If you've been cycling a while I won't need to tell you calves can get well developed over time.

Does anyone know if you can buy a shaped sock to accommodate a developed calf muscle or do I just buy larger socks?
Have you considered socks for diabetic people? They have loose cuffs so as not to impede circulation.
Or M&S "Gentle Grip" socks?
Thanks Nos I'll get the wife to order a pair she has an online M+S account
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

+ 1 for those M & S socks
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Mick F wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:43pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:22pm I like that photo, Mick F.

But the socks are of a past time!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was the end of a sponsored 500mile ride from Niagara Falls, Canada to Portsmouth, New Hampshire raising money for a local orphanage. The ship I was in at the time - HMS Sirius - was affiliated to Portsmouth NH because it was built in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England.

Raleigh Clubman bought in Dales Cycles Glasgow in 1983, sort of "gearing modified" by me.
Swapped to a Stronglight 99 double with custom rings ............. still have it with a variety of extra rings and it was used on Mercian ............ and I fitted a Campag Rally long-cage rear mech to it.
It’s amazing how ‘not’ stretched out you are, compared to modern geometry. Fashions, hey, who needs ‘em.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I use HJ Hall softtop socks.
I buy several pairs at a time from them online. Large range of colours.
I've always been pleased with them.

I tried M&S so called soft grip socks - they were strongly elasicated at the top - absolute rubbish IMO.

Regarding white socks -in the fifties there was a fad for fluorescent coloured socks and a rule was introduced to make white the only colour allowed - I can't remember if that was NCU or BCF.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:54pm
jois wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 9:33am [

I've no idea what UCI sock requiremts are,
Blimey
Call yourself a cyclist :lol:
:lol:
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I tried M&S so called soft grip socks - they were strongly elasicated at the top
Never found this to be the case myself but have made a note of your suggestion. Thanks.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ANTONISH wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 9:17am I use HJ Hall softtop socks.
I buy several pairs at a time from them online. Large range of colours.
I've always been pleased with them.

I tried M&S so called soft grip socks - they were strongly elasicated at the top - absolute rubbish IMO.

Regarding white socks -in the fifties there was a fad for fluorescent coloured socks and a rule was introduced to make white the only colour allowed - I can't remember if that was NCU or BCF.
Thanks -- will look these up
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Not really relevant but i am psychologically unable to wear white socks due to the fact that when i was a kid, if you went to school in white socks you got relentlessly teased for wearing "Barry Whites". In hindsight it doesn't seem to make sense on any level!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

deeferdonk wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 1:46pm Not really relevant but i am psychologically unable to wear white socks due to the fact that when i was a kid, if you went to school in white socks you got relentlessly teased for wearing "Barry Whites". In hindsight it doesn't seem to make sense on any level!
Never never gonna pull Ya up