Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:56pm
reohn2 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 4:55pm
Isn't the same Crisbin Odious who is Kwartang's friend and former employer?
Indeed it is.
Gravytrain alert! :? :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Truss government are already at odds over immigration:- https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... man-claims
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 5:24pm To add to the gravytrainism:- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ister-role
Surely that is just more unpatriotic bile from The Guardian?

Our patriotic Government is doing its best for Britain by getting advice from the brains which are best at extracting wealth from the country.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Debs

Post by Debs »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 5:29pm Our patriotic Government is doing its best for Britain by getting advice from the brains which are best at extracting wealth from the country.
Thus explains Brexit perfectly.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Our patriotic Government is doing its best for Britain by getting advice from the brains which are best at extracting wealth from the country.
Can you explain the relationship between news outlets and patriotism for me please?
ps it's often helpful to link to news stories published by either the BBC or the Guardian as they're not behind a paywall.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 7:19pm ...
ps it's often helpful to link to news stories published by either the BBC or the Guardian as they're not behind a paywall.
It is.

If primary sources aren't available it's often the best option.

Jonathan
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 7:19pm
Can you explain the relationship between news outlets and patriotism for me please?
Like the Government, the Tory papers often interpret criticism of Tory policy as unpatriotic, when, of course, it is no such thing.
Why they do this, I cannot imagine.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Like the Government, the Tory papers often interpret criticism of Tory policy as unpatriotic,
Particularly odd thing to do just now, given that for the past several months there has been open warfare over the soul of the Tory party, fought in part through the pages of those very newspapers, so that they have all to varying degrees, at different times, criticised Tory policy. I'm not sure there is even such a thing as "Tory Policy" any more, just a multiplicity of policies advocated by, or enacted by a succession of cliques, factions, and individuals. Presumably they all regard one another as unpatriotic as they battle for the last refuge of scoundrels (Samuel Johnson thinking about Boris Johnson?).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nearholmer wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 8:31pm
Like the Government, the Tory papers often interpret criticism of Tory policy as unpatriotic,
Particularly odd thing to do just now, given that for the past several months there has been open warfare over the soul of the Tory party, fought in part through the pages of those very newspapers, so that they have all to varying degrees, at different times, criticised Tory policy. I'm not sure there is even such a thing as "Tory Policy" any more, just a multiplicity of policies advocated by, or enacted by a succession of cliques, factions, and individuals. Presumably they all regard one another as unpatriotic as they battle for the last refuge of scoundrels (Samuel Johnson thinking about Boris Johnson?).
:wink: spot on!
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 7:25pm ... the Tory papers often interpret criticism of Tory policy as unpatriotic,
Look at the owners, non doms, tax exiles and Murdoch, if I wanted lessons in patriotism they're the last place I'd look.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 7:19pm
Patriotism - thinking one country is better than all the others just because you were born there.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
robing

Post by robing »

I think Truss won't last long. But how much more damage can she do in the meantime. We could have had a safe pair of hands with Sunak - but the racist Tory party members wouldn't vote for him - so we ended up with the worst of all the candidates.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

U turn on 45p tax rate this morning
It must be a real disappointment for those in Scotland who only last week were selling up and moving to England :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Paulatic wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 8:14am U turn on 45p tax rate this morning
I heard KK on the Radio this morning and ... such arrogance (maybe more so than many politicians). But what I found particularly interesting was how he turned the 45p rate decision back to include Mistrust. Where yesterday she was truing to pass the entire blame to KK ("It was the Chancellor's decision"), today he was very clear that she approved the decision before me made the announcement - so she is dragged into the failings. "Trouble in Paradise"

Ian