Wild Camping in UK

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jamesh

Re: Wild Camping in UK

Post by Jamesh »

Look up Jerusalem lane just north east of hebden bridge.

Looks a lovely free camping site.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I wonder why people think they can go around camping on other people's property without asking permission then get involved in discussions regarding who has the right to tell you to leave.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Tiggertoo wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:05pm I wonder why people think they can go around camping on other people's property without asking permission then get involved in discussions regarding who has the right to tell you to leave.
Depends on the legal situation where you are. In Scotland it is entirely legal to camp on someone else's property without permission as long as one follows the Outdoor Access Code. The permission is given by the law, there's no further need to ask it.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tiggertoo wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 4:05pm I wonder why people think they can go around camping on other people's property without asking permission then get involved in discussions regarding who has the right to tell you to leave.
I am reminded of the trespassing miner confronted by the Lord.
"and how come it's your land?"
"My father left it to me."
"And his father left it to him.
"Originally my ancestor fought for it."
"Right" says the miner, taking off his jacket. "I'll fight you for it."

You should read The Book of Trespass by Mick Hayes and
Who Owns England? by Guy Shrubsole.

Find out how the land came to be Enclosed and Cleared.
A lot is owned by us anyway. By the Forestery Commission, the MoD, the C of E, the duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster.
The richest M.P. Richard Benyon owns huge estates in Berkshire (a village was moved to make his deer park).and chunks of London.
When I am trespassing I rarely get caught, and I am not ashamed if I am found.
Most of us own little or none of our native land. There are those who want to keep us pleb cyclists off the Public Highway too.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 5 Oct 2022, 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

what's your problem?
I don't think anyone is discussing having a kip on anyone's front lawn/in anyone's back garden.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mike Sales wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:17pm
I am reminded of the trespassing miner confronted by the Lord.
"and how come it's your land?"
"My father left it to me."
"And his father left it to him.
"Ultimately my ancestor fought for it."
"Right" says the miner, taking off his jacket. "I'll fight you for it."

You should read The Book of Trespass by Mick Hayes and
Who Owns England? by Guy Shrubsole.

Find out how the land came to be Enclosed and Cleared.
A lot is owned by us anyway. By the Forestery Commission, the MoD, the C of E, the duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster.
The richest M.P. Richard Benyon owns huge estates in Berkshire (a village was moved to make his deer park).and chunks of London.
When I am trespassing I rarely get caught, and I am not ashamed if I am found.
Most of us own little or none of our native land. There are those who want to keep us pleb cyclists off the Public Highway too.
excellent answer.
yep - much of the land was effectively thieved in one way or another.
And I won't be thieving it back - just kipping on a patch of it before moving on while the "owner" kips somewhere doubtless more pristine.
Am depriving them of precisely nowt.
Have read the first book - recommended - intend to get round to reading the second.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jamesh wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 11:56am Look up Jerusalem lane just north east of hebden bridge.

Looks a lovely free camping site.
two points.
1 - though I gather it is an excellent place, and I think Vantage from here rates it very highly, it isn't really wild camping in that you have to pay for it - it's organised.
(not taking anything away from it - I may very well on Vantage's recommendation head there soonish)
2 - if it was actually a wild camping spot I wouldn't flag it on a public open forum. best to just talk of general areas, specific spots left to PMs/private communications.
Sweep
DinoD

Post by DinoD »

Took the train with my bike and panniers from Swindon to Carmarthen and rode back using mostly NCN4. Always asked permission and twice I was offered a mug of coffee while setting up. The one night south of Newport I slept in some woods, must have been the breeding place for horseflies, thankfully I was using a double lined tent.
Also realised that you can only cross the Severn using the old bridge which added some extra miles.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

DinoD wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 3:21pm Took the train with my bike and panniers from Swindon to Carmarthen and rode back using mostly NCN4. Always asked permission and twice I was offered a mug of coffee while setting up. The one night south of Newport I slept in some woods, must have been the breeding place for horseflies, thankfully I was using a double lined tent.
Also realised that you can only cross the Severn using the old bridge which added some extra miles.
Glad you had a good trip.
But you asked permission to kip in a wood?
How did you find the owner?
Sweep
DinoD

Post by DinoD »

The farmstead was not far from it and assumed they were the owners. They must have been asked before cause he didn’t seemed bothered at all.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I sailed round Ynys Mon in a dinghy, wild (or free) camping ashore. I've always been a miser.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

This isn't wild camping, it was on a croft just past a potato patch. While we were exploring for a spot we came across a couple digging their tatties and asked if it would be okay to camp there, and it was...
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 8:24pm I sailed round Ynys Mon in a dinghy, wild (or free) camping ashore. I've always been a miser.
Did you do the Menai Straits?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:20am
Mike Sales wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 8:24pm I sailed round Ynys Mon in a dinghy, wild (or free) camping ashore. I've always been a miser.
Began Y Felin Heli, finished there.
Camped south end Holy Island, main island opposite Holyhead and near Penmon point.
Rudder fell off betweeen Pont Britannia and Y Felin Heli!
That's when I learned rudder fittings should be bolted, not screwed!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mike Sales wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:32am
pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:20am
Began Y Felin Heli, finished there.
Camped south end Holy Island, main island opposite Holyhead and near Penmon point.
Rudder fell off betweeen Pont Britannia and Y Felin Heli!
That's when I learned rudder fittings should be bolted, not screwed!
:lol:
Sounds funny now but I suspect it felt pretty un-funny at the time. I have seen what the water can do there, with my feet firmly and safely on the shore. But you will have been watching the tide very carefully.