Rural road safety research

Ron

Rural road safety research

Post by Ron »

Interesting research In Catalonia regarding protection for rural cyclists.
https://www.themayor.eu/en/a/view/catal ... road-10893
Jdsk

Re: Rural road safety research

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for that: I don't think that I've seen this approach before.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

We have similar things here on motorways. Large overhead things stating lane closures and a maximum speed. Whenever I’ve seen them in use it would appear a large number of drivers don’t see them or can’t read them. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Vorpal will be along in a minute to tell us about the one in the Norwegian tunnel. :D
Ron

Post by Ron »

The article doesn't mention pedestrians who are at as much risk as cyclists on rural roads with blind corners and ever decreasing roadside verge widths.
Bring back the sheep I say,they kept drivers alert
drossall

Post by drossall »

Interesting, although cyclists have the ability to start and stop pretty-much anywhere. Stop for lunch half way along, for example, and the signs may detect you as gone. Start off again (or emerge from a farm track), and the signs will still be in "no cyclists" mode.

So it rather depends how it's implemented, and whether some drivers start to regard the showing of higher limits as a certain indication that they need take less care.
jois

Post by jois »

drossall wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:45pm Interesting, although cyclists have the ability to start and stop pretty-much anywhere. Stop for lunch half way along, for example, and the signs may detect you as gone. Start off again (or emerge from a farm track), and the signs will still be in "no cyclists" mode.

So it rather depends how it's implemented, and whether some drivers start to regard the showing of higher limits as a certain indication that they need take less care.
I tend to agree
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 6:22pm
drossall wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 5:45pm Interesting, although cyclists have the ability to start and stop pretty-much anywhere. Stop for lunch half way along, for example, and the signs may detect you as gone. Start off again (or emerge from a farm track), and the signs will still be in "no cyclists" mode.

I tend to agree
As do i
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Dingdong wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 9:15am
jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 6:22pm

I tend to agree
As do i
"Safety benefits are absorbed as performance benefits."
Frequently observed phenomenon.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Interesting approach.
We have just been cycling in a bit of Catalonia and drivers seem pretty OK, much like where we live in the Borders. There are lots of new cycle routes and tracks, the area seems to be making a big effort to encourage cycling.
Debs

Post by Debs »

These signs could condition many drivers to only expect a cyclist if the signs tells them so.

When they drive in a different location on roads that don't have these signs, they may drive with the expectation there will not be any cyclists because there isn't any signs to tell them how to drive.

These signs are not very well though out, and would seem to be yet more roadside clutter at tax payers expense.

Regardless of silly sign postage it is the drivers responsibility to be always be alert and aware of cyclists, pedestrians, horse riders, etc...
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Paulatic wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 2:51pm We have similar things here on motorways. Large overhead things stating lane closures and a maximum speed. Whenever I’ve seen them in use it would appear a large number of drivers don’t see them or can’t read them. :D
They get ignored because they are so rarely correct. As said above, they often relate to incidents long gone. Hence, drivers don’t believe them. It’s human nature.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

The electronic signs will change the speed limit on the road when they detect that a cyclist is in the vicinity so that vehicle drivers will slow down.
Wildly optimistic assumption, IME :roll:
"42"
Ron

Post by Ron »

We don't know the full scale of the research, but I would hope it would confirm my own view that many vehicles are driven at excessive speed for the conditions on our rural roads and getting some data might result in an effort to reduce speeds on blind bends and other danger points.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The "rural" is slightly misleading. It implies, to an English mind, a country lane. But in this case it seems to refer to main roads in non-built up areas.