Having escaped COVID all this time ...

Nearholmer

Re: Having escaped COVID all this time ...

Post by Nearholmer »

If you're vulnerability is limited to the fact that you're over 50 then I guess it'll be a few weeks before you can book.
It has now let me book, aged 63, so I think the threshold has moved down a bit in the direction of 50.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

2 weeks on from testing negative, and I'm now experiencing a multitude of post COVID goodies, not in any particular order: nausea, insomnia, palpitations, dihorrea, sudden onset fatigue, no sense of taste, hot sweats, lack of appetite, skin problems (what appears psoriasis on my knuckles, unheard of before), receding gums, bleeding teeth after brushing and in general a sense of exhaustion which didn't become apparent till AFTER the initial two week infection period.

If you haven't got your fourth booster, please do so now! This is no 'ordinary' flu, this is something entirely different, and the after effects are very unpleasant indeed.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm on here - endlessly - saying about how ill I was AFTER being negative.
I hardly noticed Covid at all, until I finished with it.

It was worst afterwards by far.
I still have a changed sense of smell of certain things, and ditto tastes, despite having Covid in August 2021.
Mick F. Cornwall
ken66

Post by ken66 »

I booked for my booster which I had last week. I arrived 30 mins before my allotted time & joined the queue of many people who just came without booking. 30 mins later I had moved up the queue & ended up having the jab at my appointment time! Why did I bother to book?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Dingdong wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 5:51am 2 weeks on from testing negative, and I'm now experiencing a multitude of post COVID goodies, not in any particular order: nausea, insomnia, palpitations, dihorrea, sudden onset fatigue, no sense of taste, hot sweats, lack of appetite, skin problems (what appears psoriasis on my knuckles, unheard of before), receding gums, bleeding teeth after brushing and in general a sense of exhaustion which didn't become apparent till AFTER the initial two week infection period.

If you haven't got your fourth booster, please do so now! This is no 'ordinary' flu, this is something entirely different, and the after effects are very unpleasant indeed.
Don't Google any of those symptoms
I am here. Where are you?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Nearholmer wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 8:14pm
If you're vulnerability is limited to the fact that you're over 50 then I guess it'll be a few weeks before you can book.
It has now let me book, aged 63, so I think the threshold has moved down a bit in the direction of 50.
I’m early fifties and I had my flu jab today (asthma) and they offered me a Covid jab too which I took. Him indoors hasn’t been offered a flu jab appointment yet so I guess I ticked a more vulnerable box somewhere in the system. Anyway - if you’re offered a flu appointment maybe take that and they’ll do both.

Seems to be ok so far other than headachy and a bit fuzzy this afternoon- I do tend to get side effects- tiredness, headaches etc from the Covid jabs so will wait to see if anything more develops.

I don’t seem to have Covid yet or if I did I had it so mildly I didn’t notice but my experiences with asthma and anything respiratory make me keen to keep on top of the jabs and I’m definitely keener on mild side effects from the jabs than anything described further up the thread about post or during Covid symptoms.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

MrsHJ wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 9:53pm
Nearholmer wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 8:14pm
I’m early fifties and I had my flu jab today (asthma) and they offered me a Covid jab too which I took. Him indoors hasn’t been offered a flu jab appointment yet so I guess I ticked a more vulnerable box somewhere in the system. Anyway - if you’re offered a flu appointment maybe take that and they’ll do both.

Seems to be ok so far other than headachy and a bit fuzzy this afternoon- I do tend to get side effects- tiredness, headaches etc from the Covid jabs so will wait to see if anything more develops.

I don’t seem to have Covid yet or if I did I had it so mildly I didn’t notice but my experiences with asthma and anything respiratory make me keen to keep on top of the jabs and I’m definitely keener on mild side effects from the jabs than anything described further up the thread about post or during Covid symptoms.
During my voyage of discovery I found some consultants had gathered evidence that asthmatics tend to fair better than most after contracting covid-19.

I can probably look up the references if you need them.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I think it’s something about using a prevent inhaler regularly which I do, rather than bring asthmatic?

Having said that after being hospitalised with pneumonia a few years ago (rest of the family had a mild cold) I’m being sensible. That lead to my asthma diagnosis at least and my overall respiratory health has improved a lot since I’ve been managing it with an inhaler, no more long winters with a hacking cough that never quite clears before I get the next cold. The asthma society says it maybe something about which type of asthma you have- I don’t have the type that leads to an asthma attack and it seems to be more related to hay fever/allergies.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 7:35am I think it’s something about using a prevent inhaler regularly which I do, rather than bring asthmatic?

Having said that after being hospitalised with pneumonia a few years ago (rest of the family had a mild cold) I’m being sensible. That lead to my asthma diagnosis at least and my overall respiratory health has improved a lot since I’ve been managing it with an inhaler, no more long winters with a hacking cough that never quite clears before I get the next cold. The asthma society says it maybe something about which type of asthma you have- I don’t have the type that leads to an asthma attack and it seems to be more related to hay fever/allergies.
Although a cortisone inhaler helps to keep the inflammation down inside the lungs which is a bonus during the covid infection I was told it's more than just inhaler use. it's got something to do with the way an asthmatics body reacts to infection.

The pediatric consultant in Belfast that my 13 year old son had after the swine flu ( he almost died in November 19 from swine flu so happened to have a pediatric chest consultant looking after his progress when the covid-19 pandemic arrived in early 2020. ) told us that the statistics showed asthmatics seemed to fair generally better with the covid. There are a few theories going around as to why this is. Something to do with the speed of inflammation or the fast reaction time to allergens / infections etc.

Didn't delve into this in any great detail because I was comforted by the information the consultant gave us about the numbers of asthmatic children she had in her care that contracted covid. Out of 3000 that got the pox only 3 had to be seen and out of those only 1 was kept in overnight.

At that time (summer of 2020) the information was still very new but she told us what was starting to emerge was the fact that youth was a big positive and obesity was a big negative so with him being young and thin as a stick I was content enough that he'd have a fairly good chance of making a full recovery.

He was still classed as extremely vulnerable since he just had a very close call with flu so I kept precautions in place.

After that consultation I was more concerned about my mother my mother in law, my wife and myself in that order.

Nevertheless as soon as his age group was allowed the vaccine I took him up to Belfast to get it ( he was very keen to get it )

I did find other papers and evidence about the statistics and theories why having asthma didn't increase your risk of severe illness with covid infection as the consultant had alluded to.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Very interesting and I’m glad that your son is well. Very scary. My teens also promptly vaxed.

I’m hoping my fitness balances out the excess weight but still something to tackle for overall health stuff. Don’t forget that men are at somewhat higher risk than women (or at least women with oestrogen so maybe not so much help with age) so maybe that tweaks your ratings?!
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Although swine flu was pretty much pandemic throughout the world, it palesn in comparison to the effects, and after effects of COVID. I don't want to sound like an alarmist or conspiracy theorist, but the severity and duration of post covid symptoms, you can't help but speculate, has it been engineered in a lab?

It's just a gift that (sic) keeps on giving...
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 1:25pm Very interesting and I’m glad that your son is well. Very scary. My teens also promptly vaxed.

I’m hoping my fitness balances out the excess weight but still something to tackle for overall health stuff. Don’t forget that men are at somewhat higher risk than women (or at least women with oestrogen so maybe not so much help with age) so maybe that tweaks your ratings?!
It's not just what weight you are now -- it's more to do with how heavy or maybe how sedentary you've been over your lifetime. Everyone builds up a store of ac2 receptors over their lifetime, obesity or weight has some bearing on that number and these receptors are a factor in how much viral load your body takes.

A high viral load means more virus for your antibodies to fight. As you age your T cells aren't as fast at finding / building the right antibodies ( sorry this is put in layman's terms I'm not a doctor but it's the way it was explained to me ).

This speed of tackling the virus and killing all the virus in your body is vital in making a recovery. For your antibodies it's a fight that needs to be won before the virus overwhelms vital organs.

Fortunately over 95 % of people will recover from this novel virus.

The percentage surviving Omicron is much higher so it's either that it's like nature's vaccine or the vaccine you already have against covid-19 gives your antibodies a clue to finding the antidote, not sure which but I think it's more like nature's vaccine.

Just my understanding but seems to make sense to me.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I tested for Omicron, and I'm of the opinion that the after effects are much more varied than previous versions of the virus. It is very unpleasant.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 9:15am .....
I hardly noticed Covid at all, until I finished with it.

It was worst afterwards by far.
I still have a changed sense of smell of certain things, and ditto tastes, despite having Covid in August 2021.
Similar. I had the rib/lung pains for a week during the 4-12 week post covid (which I barely noticed) period often discussed and the erratic bowel behaviour continues after some 14 weeks.
I have now had 5 covid jabs. However many more are offered it'll be "me please!".
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

3 weeks on and I'm into long COVID which I sincerely hope isn't that long at all. Still have rapid onset fatigue, erratic bowel movements, nausea, insomnia, tremors around lunchtime and a very affected sense of taste and smell.

If you're not fully vaccinated, don't hang about. COVID is the gift that just keeps on giving :P