Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by Mick F »

Andrew Marr?
I never knew he had a stroke, but that was the first thing I noticed with his "look".
That's not the point, though.

Boring speaker.
No doubt he was boring and a horrible speaker well before that.

Heard of him, and not heard him speak and never seen him.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 4:25pm Andrew Marr?
I never knew he had a stroke, but that was the first thing I noticed with his "look".

Boring speaker.

His delivery has materially changed Mick.
robing

Post by robing »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 3:51pm It's pretty worrying when the first thing a new PM/Chancellor do crashes the pound, collapses the markets, big interest rate rises, etc. then as they start to unwind it they come-up with "I learnt that lesson".

How many more lessons do they still have to learn and can the country survive that many disasters?

It's a country they are running not some school experiment where you learn from your mistakes.

Ian
And the Bank of England had to step in to prevent pensions collapsing. In any other walk of life, football manager for example, that would have been a resigning matter.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pete75 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:37am
reohn2 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 8:54am
EDIT:- to add:- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... hris-philp
That's something I've never agreed with, people having to work for theit dole money. If these jobs need doing then unemployed people should be employed to do them and paid the proper rate for the job.
Agreed!
It's not the first time the tories have voiced such an intention,I remember John Major when he was PM saying the same thing.

The tories are despicable bunch!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:06pm I'm not one to jump to conclusions, but I have to say that Mr Philp comes across as a particularly unpleasant piece of work to me.
Yer not wrong,he fits right in with the Tories!
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Oct 2022, 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:04pm
pete75 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 11:37am
reohn2 wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 8:54am
EDIT:- to add:- https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... hris-philp
That's something I've never agreed with, people having to work for theit dole money. If these jobs need doing then unemployed people should be employed to do them and paid the proper rate for the job.
Indeed. And if claimants are forced to work, when will they get time to apply for jobs, go to interviews and so on? You could even start to think the Conservatives are more interested in providing businesses with an effectively-trapped cheap labour force than in getting people off the dole and benefits, couldn't you?
Definitely!
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

MickF -----*DON'T LISTEN OR WATCH THIS*-----
More Marr on the Tory conference:- https://youtu.be/sQGW3qQN37A
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 4:33pm

Boring speaker.

Never saw him before, so I can't comment.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:21am
Bonefishblues wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 4:33pm

Boring speaker.

Never saw him before, so I can't comment.
I didn't invite comment Mick, I was informing you. As R2 suggests, best avoid - but to do that is to miss the views an incisive commentator, very well connected, and now free of the 'BBC shackles'
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:45am I didn't invite comment Mick, I was informing you. As R2 suggests, best avoid - but to do that is to miss the views an incisive commentator, very well connected, and now free of the 'BBC shackles'
Quite!
Marr is as you say an incisive commentator now free of shackles of an increasingly fearful BBC.
To write off his comments due to his delivery is to throw the baby out with the bath water!
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, but I even tried to listen to him by turning my head away from the screen, but I found it very difficult to listen.
No doubt at all, that he has a wealth of experience and it would be worth reading his words rather than listening to him.

Sorry, but I found him "dominating" rather than informative.
Mick F. Cornwall
Debs

Post by Debs »

Petition

Call an immediate general election to end the chaos of the current government

Call an immediate general election so that the people can decide who should lead us through the unprecedented crises threatening the UK.

Sign this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:55am
Bonefishblues wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:45am I didn't invite comment Mick, I was informing you. As R2 suggests, best avoid - but to do that is to miss the views an incisive commentator, very well connected, and now free of the 'BBC shackles'
Quite!
Marr is as you say an incisive commentator now free of shackles of an increasingly fearful BBC.
To write off his comments due to his delivery is to throw the baby out with the bath water!
The BBC isn't "fearful". It's been suborned by the same spivs and gangsters populating the extreme right wing "think tanks" who've suborned the Tory party.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... programmes

A quote:

"Day after day, year after year, the BBC has provided these extremists with a massive platform on its news and current affairs programmes. Major BBC programmes including Today, Question Time, Newsnight and Any Questions? are populated by speakers from the Institute of Economic Affairs, the Adam Smith Institute, the Taxpayers’ Alliance, the Centre for Policy Studies and Policy Exchange. These groups also happen to have been rated by the campaign Who Funds You? as among the most opaque of all those it investigated.

When the IEA complained to Ofcom about the broadcaster James O’Brien’s description of the institute as a “hard-right lobby group for vested interests of big business, fossil fuels, tobacco, junk food” on his LBC show, Ofcom rejected its complaint, ruling that he had not distorted the facts. Yet the combined platform of these dark-money groups on the BBC is surely many times bigger than that of any other non-party grouping".

Face it. We've all been "owned" by these New Model Aristocrats for decades, with their power now so well-established in the various cultural and governmental institutions that they now feel free to boast about it openly, after working in their dark closets for years and years to achieve what they now fully posses - unlimited and unfettered access to the levers of policy and the agencies that enforce it.

Incidentally, why do you think Bokum & pals wanted to manipulate the appointment of the Ofcom chief so that the media hoodlum and Daily Hate Mail Chief Guttersnipe, Paul Dacre, got the job?

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 5 Oct 2022, 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Debs wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 11:36am Petition

Call an immediate general election to end the chaos of the current government

Call an immediate general election so that the people can decide who should lead us through the unprecedented crises threatening the UK.

Sign this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781
I wouldn't trust "the people" to make any sort of reasoned choice. We'll largely choose who the mass media tell us to choose. Guess what their recommendation will be.

Also, you must have noticed that the current faux government couldn't give a toss for what would be in the best interests of "people". We are all Ayn Randian second-raters, as far as they're concerned. Losers, due to being lazy, workshy and not good enough at rabid exploitation of others.

Cugel the Doom Monger
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes