Timescales and Progress

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Timescales and Progress

Post by Psamathe »

Things like Moore's Law and Smartphones do make you reflect on how fast technology has progressed but for me a real shocker about how far and how fast we have moved was an article today:
https://earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-launch-of-sputnik-october-4-1957/ wrote:Sputnik launched 65 years ago
Sputnik surprised the world 65 years ago
October 4, 1957. On this date, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. Consequently, many space historians say the Space Age began on this date.
I was aware of launch dates, etc. but not appreciated it was just 65 years - really surprised me as to how far we have progressed not very long ago.

Ian
Cugel

Re: Timescales and Progress

Post by Cugel »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 1:09pm Things like Moore's Law and Smartphones do make you reflect on how fast technology has progressed but for me a real shocker about how far and how fast we have moved was an article today:
https://earthsky.org/space/this-date-in-science-launch-of-sputnik-october-4-1957/ wrote:Sputnik launched 65 years ago
Sputnik surprised the world 65 years ago
October 4, 1957. On this date, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth. Consequently, many space historians say the Space Age began on this date.
I was aware of launch dates, etc. but not appreciated it was just 65 years - really surprised me as to how far we have progressed not very long ago.

Ian
Technology has progressed from complex & useful to more complex & more useful. But useful for what? Unfortunately, we humans seem to be in one of our regressive phases with various humans institutions across the planet degrading rapidly from "civilised" to .... well, several rather unpleasant conditions and states all too familiar to our ancestors. Fine technologies are accelerating the degradation at fantastical rates.

I know our own once-comfortable Blighty-bubble hasn't fully deflated yet but it's definitely been popped and the air can be heard rushing from it now, making a crude pharty noise (aka Tory conference speeches). In the background, several large technology engines can be heard chewing up large swathes of human bodies and minds (again).

But perhaps an enlightened and benign despot will emerge from the current churn rather than the usual sort? Can't see one just now, though. Plenty of the other sort hoving into view. Some have been sitting on their little heaps of mob for some time now. Others are poised to return to theirs, after a bit of trampling on things to clear their path, with a reinforcing of their throne underpinnings and a doing away with pesky drag-anchors like voting, justice and society.

Everyone must now be an entrepreneur, with those not only willing but also able to sell their granny (for fertiliser in the biofuel industry) destined for greatness! Just ask the dishonourable fool for the C18th with that queer old suit and a permanent smirk on his snurk.

We're all doomed, I tell 'ee! I'm sure I've seen nearly every member of the "government" in an Hieronymous Bosch painting.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

My grandad was born in 1901, during his lifetime he saw the motor industry begin with various innovations such as four-wheel brakes and Bosch getting credit for electric engine ignition (it was invented earlier).
The Wright brothers flew their powered aeroplane in 1903, Louis Bleriot crossed the English Channel and aeroplanes were used in WW1
In WW2, as a farmer, he joined "Dad's Army" and the nuclear bomb was deployed (not by him!)
Television, space flights, man-on-the-moon, etc and he saw public availability of the mobile phone before he died.
The old lad's head must have been spinning!
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

If we're talking about inventions that are now a key part of our lives then satellite communication has now has made it possible to see images of ourselves killing each other, live from the comfort of our armchairs . It has also saved many lives, pinpointing people who are in trouble and need rescuing from remote places.
Massive technological progress in 50 years but learning to live together without conflict continues to seem impossible.