Dynamo wiring, loose connections - what's wrong?!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sarniacycle

Dynamo wiring, loose connections - what's wrong?!

Post by sarniacycle »

Hello and thanks in advance for any tips. I've never run a dynamo before and just got one on a Bakfiets I bought at the weekend. I knew in advance the wiring was a bit temperamental so here goes with first problems (googling just seems to return wiring routing rather than the specific problem here).

I did have light at the front yesterday after tweaking wires so something at least is working.

It's a nexus hub, DH-C6000-2R-H, the front light is a Hilux Steady Sensor and the rear is a Plateo by Spanninga if that means anything.

1. How should I plug this in and, once done properly, should that get front and rear light going?
PXL_20221003_140243619.MP~2.jpg

2. If that doesn't fix it, where should I start next?

Many thanks.
alexnharvey

Re: Dynamo wiring, loose connections - what's wrong?!

Post by alexnharvey »

Have you tried reversing the wire connections? Normally you would connect the red one to the live (indicated by the lightning symbol) rather than ground, assuming the person setting it up followed convention.

You are supposed to fold back the wire as you describe in the picture, or you could crimp a female spade connector on instead.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 4 Oct 2022, 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
jois

Post by jois »

sarniacycle wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:15pm Hello and thanks in advance for any tips. I've never run a dynamo before and just got one on a Bakfiets I bought at the weekend. I knew in advance the wiring was a bit temperamental so here goes with first problems (googling just seems to return wiring routing rather than the specific problem here).

I did have light at the front yesterday after tweaking wires so something at least is working.

It's a nexus hub, DH-C6000-2R-H, the front light is a Hilux Steady Sensor and the rear is a Plateo by Spanninga if that means anything.

1. How should I plug this in and, once done properly, should that get front and rear light going?
PXL_20221003_140243619.MP~2.jpg

2. If that doesn't fix it, where should I start next?

Many thanks.
Start by cleaning the brass connection posts up till they are shinny and stick a volt meter across to see if any thing is coming out and then remake the conections so you know they are good,

If you have both power out and good conections move down the wiring looking for another conection problem
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Not easy to tell from a photo but does anyone else think the gauge of the wire looks a bit like overkill.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jois

Post by jois »

Paulatic wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:53pm Not easy to tell from a photo but does anyone else think the gauge of the wire looks a bit like overkill.
Possibly but with a voltage of that( lack of ) magnitude it needs all the help reducing volt drop it can get, there are no downsides to it if it fits the conections
531colin

Post by 531colin »

alexnharvey wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:31pm Have you tried reversing the wire connections? Normally you would connect the red one to the live (indicated by the lightning symbol) rather than ground, assuming the person setting it up followed convention.

You are supposed to fold back the wire as you describe in the picture, or you could crimp a female spade connector on instead.
I would expect to use a (female) spade connector on that.....isn't the bit poking out a male spade connection?
.....unless bike dynamos are different to everything else?
lots of sizes, I expect https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Insu ... 07103&th=1

I wouldn't like to rely on the plastic insulating sleeve holding the wire in contact....I don't think its designed for that.

....unless bike dynamos are different to everything else!
sarniacycle

Post by sarniacycle »

Thanks all, this is great to get me going. I'll follow the points made above and then feed back how it goes.

First, then, to get a voltmeter from my neighbour this evening, then the cleaning and tracing wires. Glad the connection is right though if I can get to the shops tomorrow, might try to get a female spade connector & heat shrink tube or whatever it's called.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Try opening that black plug. Lay the insulated length of wire inside. Close the plug and bend the uninsulated end back into the recess. Plug it in and check the light. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

531colin wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 1:10pm
alexnharvey wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 12:31pm Have you tried reversing the wire connections? Normally you would connect the red one to the live (indicated by the lightning symbol) rather than ground, assuming the person setting it up followed convention.

I would expect to use a (female) spade connector on that.....isn't the bit poking out a male spade connection?
.....unless bike dynamos are different to everything else?
lots of sizes, I expect https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Insu ... 07103&th=1

I wouldn't like to rely on the plastic insulating sleeve holding the wire in contact....I don't think its designed for that.

....unless bike dynamos are different to everything else!
I think it's not just a plastic sleeve but a plastic fitting made for the recess that also holds the wire to the terminal. As you know, Shimano and Stumey Archer use a similar folded wire system in their 'lego brick' dynamo connectors. That said, I prefer a female spade for a more secure fitting and crimp these onto my dynamo light wires.
sarniacycle

Post by sarniacycle »

Right, thanks again everyone - took a bit of time due to family (rather than bike-related) stuff but I have working lights, front & rear!

A bike shop round the corner - SBC Cycles, really helpful - sold me a couple of female spade connectors with heat shrink wrap, and also suggested using lemon juice and a small paint brush to clean the terminals/remove oxide (Lois has said to clean them so this made sense) and in the end I used some spirit vinegar, got it all wired up and now it's working a treat.

Success then, so thank you.