LEJOG 2023

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
puffin

LEJOG 2023

Post by puffin »

Trying to get ahead, I am planning LEJOG 2023.

I reckon the best way to avoid the school holidays (England and Scotland) and Bank Holidays is to go early June...though King Charles might frustrate my plans if he doesn't use the predicted 2nd June for his coronation. Hopefully by me starting planning early it will give him the chance to rearrange.

Hope these dates help:

Half terms in England seem to be happening mostly around 27th May to 4th June, Bank Holidays 29th May, some school holidays in Scotland start at 23rd June. So for me, I'm going for the window 4th June to 23rd June...which gives me a few days leeway either side.

This time we're going to make a holiday of it, my wife will meet me near Tongue where we will stay for a few days then go over to the Orkneys

I plan to use my tried and tested route Camelford, Tiverton, Chew Magna (ish), Stanton Drew, Ross on Wye, Much Wenlock, Manchester (ish), Slaidburn, Kirkoswald, Tushielae, Glenfarg, Braemar, Grantown, Bonar Bridge, Bettyhill, JOG. However....I hear the A9 below Inverness now has cycle ways! Yea!
Tiggertoo

Re: LEJOG 2023

Post by Tiggertoo »

Puffin, from your experience from this year's LeJog, It will be interesting to know when you might expect to need to book accommodation for next June. I am assuming for my May ride that January will be soon enough.

One of the problems I experience is that many hotels have a no refund policy so booking too far ahead and then having to change plans is costly.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:05pm One of the problems I experience is that many hotels have a no refund policy so booking too far ahead and then having to change plans is costly.
Booking.com had an option (may still do?), that was "free cancellation" albeit actually slightly higher priced for the ability to cancel with very little notice.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:53pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 5:05pm One of the problems I experience is that many hotels have a no refund policy so booking too far ahead and then having to change plans is costly.
Booking.com had an option (may still do?), that was "free cancellation" albeit actually slightly higher priced for the ability to cancel with very little notice.
Sadly, not if the hotel has a different policy as happened to me this year in London. Booked with Booking.com and tried to cancel, but the hotel said no and if I didn't show I lost.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I'd start booking now, for next May/June, especially for Scotland which is notorious for booking out very quickly indeed.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

This is one of my favourite places to stay on the West Highland route. 2 miles from Spean Bridge and very well appointed and also good value for money, but like I said you need to start thinking about booking now, for next year.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Dingdong wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 6:17am This is one of my favourite places to stay on the West Highland route. 2 miles from Spean Bridge and very well appointed and also good value for money, but like I said you need to start thinking about booking now, for next year.
Thanks for that, so time to get serious about this, but having to decide everything so early does tend to remove the spontaneity aspect of an adventure. :(
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Tiggertoo wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 11:06pm
wirral_cyclist wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 9:53pm
Sadly, not if the hotel has a different policy as happened to me this year in London. Booked with Booking.com and tried to cancel, but the hotel said no and if I didn't show I lost.
Booking.com make it VERY clear upfront what the cancellation terms are. (In fact, 90% of those I looked at in September gave you a choice .e.g. £10/night extra for fully flexible) Of course some hotels will choose only NON-flexible bookings, but they seem to be rare.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Tiggertoo wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 3:21pm
Dingdong wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 6:17am This is one of my favourite places to stay on the West Highland route. 2 miles from Spean Bridge and very well appointed and also good value for money, but like I said you need to start thinking about booking now, for next year.
Thanks for that, so time to get serious about this, but having to decide everything so early does tend to remove the spontaneity aspect of an adventure. :(
Spontaneity kinda goes out the window when you don't have a bed for the night after 100 miles on the bike!
puffin

Post by puffin »

King Charles has plumped for 6th May for his coronation which leaves June even more free.
MyLejog

Post by MyLejog »

I completed the ride in June 22, and cycled over 21 days via the North East Coast of England.
I prebooked my first 2 nights in Bodmin and Oakhampton and the rest I booked as I went along which gave me some flexibility.
I did come up against a couple of issues in York and Edinburgh as the cost of last minute accommodation is so expensive however I managed to get a bed in a hostel in both places and it worked well. I did book my night on the North Coast of Scotland a couple of days in advance and I also stayed at the Crask Inn which again I booked a couple of days in advance.
I am not saying this is the best thing to do but I did find that in June things were still quiet and there were not a lot of tourists about.
Over the 21 days my average cost of a place to stay was £50.87p, the most expensive being the Crask Inn which included Dinner, Bed and Breakfast.(£75)
puffin

Post by puffin »

Mylejog that was well brave....but it worked! Huge respect for booking day by day, not sure I could handle that.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

puffin wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 9:27pm Mylejog that was well brave....but it worked! Huge respect for booking day by day, not sure I could handle that.
That may be okay in England, but once you get to the lakes, the borders and Scotland, I would not even contemplate it, not unless I had a back up ie a tent/sleeping bag.

We've done trips to the Highlands before and had to drive 80 miles from our desired destination to find a bed, not a room to be had either online or offline. The Great Glen is especially notorious for this, especially in July/August.
MyLejog

Post by MyLejog »

I have created a website about my 21 days https://mylejog.co.uk/ which gives details of where I stayed and the route I cycled.