Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
sizbut

Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?

Post by sizbut »

For the worlds in Harrogate, more by good luck than anything else, we ended up just short ride from the time trial course and on the elite riders road route. A big bonus given the rain to be able to time watch on telly and yet still pop out live each time the riders passed.

So the routes have been release for Glasgow 2023. But so far, despite Google's best help, I've only been able to locate very low detail indications of the routes.

Does anyone know any sites with more detailed maps of the likely routes*, especially the circuit in Glasgow city centre.

*Yes, I accept that things have potential to change at lot in the 12-months before the event so no blame will be attached.
Paulatic

Re: Glasgow 2023 Worlds Routes?

Post by Paulatic »

Someone on Twitter has worked this out to be the Mens TT
098A972E-1141-4A8C-AB97-FCB072C3D334.jpeg
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

Many thanks. Yes, the planning includes working out where to be based in Glasgow on each of the weekends and in Stirling during the week, so that's exactly what's needed for the time trial part.
irc

Post by irc »

I'm guessing here but Glasgow City Council is a bit of a creature of habit. So I would suggrst the city centre loop may be similar to the 2014 Commonwealth Games time trial route.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi ... p-1000.jpg
2014-Glasgow-RR-map-1000.jpg
The 2014route was 14.02Km. The 2023 citycentre loop is 14.4KM

"On arrival into Glasgow, the cyclists will tackle a 14.4 km technical city circuit with punchy short climbs (a total of 193 metres of climbing per lap) and an iconic finish at George Square."

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=29669

In fact same link gives the route.

"Entering from Glasgow's west end, the road race route navigates the city starting with a climb to Park Circus and panoramic views across Kelvingrove Park before heading in to the city centre, passing the internationally recognised Glasgow School of Art, University of Strathclyde, the historic Glasgow Cathedral and stylish Merchant City.
The circuit then takes riders back west, passing the Gallery of Modern Art and traversing Buchanan Street, the city's premier shopping street, before taking in the iconic Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery and the world-renowned University of Glasgow, both striking architectural landmarks in Glasgow's west end.

The riders will then go along the eclectic Byres Road before racing back to conclude with an exciting finishing straight at George Square. "
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

irc wrote: 28 Sep 2022, 10:14am I'm guessing here but Glasgow City Council is a bit of a creature of habit. So I would suggrst the city centre loop may be similar to the 2014 Commonwealth Games time trial route.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi ... p-1000.jpg

The 2014route was 14.02Km. The 2023 citycentre loop is 14.4KM

"On arrival into Glasgow, the cyclists will tackle a 14.4 km technical city circuit with punchy short climbs (a total of 193 metres of climbing per lap) and an iconic finish at George Square."
Excellent research!

I'd add that they've had one-or-two high-level road-races round the town centre quite recently, so they might be a good source for a detailed map.
EDIT: looking at the legend on your posted map, that's the finish circuit for the ROAD RACE (not the TT)?
[Your linked JPG has "RR" in the name, which is puzzling for a TT course.]
irc

Post by irc »

My mistake. I think that was road race route.

I should add - for anyone who doesn't know the city - almost the entire route has pubs within a few yards. So finding somewhere to watch it on TV then jumping out to catch the riders going past live will be possible anywhere.
sizbut

Post by sizbut »

@irc - Cheers. Yes, I kicked myself late last night for not remembering that both the UCI Worlds and Commonwealth games road races were in Glasgow in 2014. A Google image search then threw up much better maps than the current issued one .

And yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they use the same or very similar for 2023. So some of the old maps against the new description to do, but a bit more confidence now.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

The road route (if they follow the Commonwealth circuit) will be laps of the city, finishing/starting in Glasgow green. There are a surprising amount of little steep hills, which will test a lot of riders.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

In think the finish was in George Square, it was if course raining heavily at the time!