Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cycle tramp

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by cycle tramp »

francovendee wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:08am Where did the anti-growth coalition spring from?
The anti-(economic) growth coalition sprung from the imaginations of the tory's spin doctors. After all they've been in power for a number of years before Liz Truss and needed some sort of bogeymen to blame for their lack of progress..
...its kinda sad that in the minds of some politicians that 'economic growth at any cost = happiness' but sadly 'protecting workers rights, the life sustaining abilities of the planet and natural habitats = no happiness'..
..personally speaking it's high time to ditch economic growth indicators as some sort of measure of national happiness..
To slightly mis-quote fight club what is economic growth anyway 'working in a job you hate to earn money to by s**t you don't need'.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 12:08pm
Cugel wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 11:59am
reohn2 wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 9:55am

Quite!
Marr is as you say an incisive commentator now free of shackles of an increasingly fearful BBC.
To write off his comments due to his delivery is to throw the baby out with the bath water!
The BBC isn't "fearful". It's been suborned by the same spivs and gangsters populating the extreme right wing "think tanks" who've suborned the Tory party.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... programmes

A quote:

"Day after day, year after year, the BBC has provided these extremists with a massive platform on its news and current affairs programmes. Major BBC programmes including Today, Question Time, Newsnight and Any Questions? are populated by speakers from the Institute of Economic Affairs, the Adam Smith Institute, the Taxpayers’ Alliance, the Centre for Policy Studies and Policy Exchange. These groups also happen to have been rated by the campaign Who Funds You? as among the most opaque of all those it investigated.

When the IEA complained to Ofcom about the broadcaster James O’Brien’s description of the institute as a “hard-right lobby group for vested interests of big business, fossil fuels, tobacco, junk food” on his LBC show, Ofcom rejected its complaint, ruling that he had not distorted the facts. Yet the combined platform of these dark-money groups on the BBC is surely many times bigger than that of any other non-party grouping".

Face it. We've all been "owned" by these New Model Aristocrats for decades, with their power now so well-established in the various cultural and governmental institutions that they now feel free to boast about it openly, after working in their dark closets for years and years to achieve what they now fully posses - unlimited and unfettered access to the levers of policy and the agencies that enforce it.

Incidentally, why do you think Bokum & pals wanted to manipulate the appointment of the Ofcom chief so that the media hoodlum and Daily Hate Main Chief Guttersnipe, Paul Dacre, got the job?

Cugel
But if the Right Wing have so much control over the levers, why are Labour doing so well in the polls? To me, it looks increasingly gloomy for anyone wanting to see a Tory victory at the next General Election, and increasingly hopeful for the rest of us. Politically at least, the clouds seem to be lifting.

I get a lot of my basic news from the BBC, but I think I still manage to form less than favourable opinions about how the Government are performing. If the Government are pulling strings, they aren't doing it very well.
At present, The Truss and familiars are setting up their ultra-neolib stall, inclusive of the nominations of various mythical enemies, such as "the enemies of growth" added to "the woke" and those pesky "climate fanatics". There is no general election yet so she can be as mad as she likes. All sorts of precedents will be set that will be very difficult to rescind. For example, she is at present intent on dismantling the civil service, from which many howls of pain and dismay are emanating. Benefit claimants are for it too. Watch the NHS left to rot and die over the next two years.

Come election time, there'll be more effective rabble rousers to distract "the people" from their various difficulties with eating, heating and shelter. The usual favourite is a war, in which some of those evil folk beginning at Calais can be vilified and made the evil enemy all troo patriots must fight, rather than criticising their patriotic leaders. Lizzy has a habit of making belligerent noises about various foreign enemies.

"Shock & Awe" in action.

Wait, watch and see.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

francovendee wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:08am Where did the anti-growth coalition spring from?
Classic attempt to define yourself by who you hate rather than what you're for.

See also: immigrants, Brexit, "the enemy within", "the blob" etc etc.

Bit desperate now given they've been in power for 12 years.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The usual favourite is a war, in which some of those evil folk beginning at Calais can be vilified and made the evil enemy all troo patriots must fight, rather than criticising their patriotic leaders.
Correct, but, as I noted above, she seems more intent on dividing this country against itself by nominating “enemies within” than nominating “enemies without” at the moment.

I thought Boris was dangerously divisive, but this little lot make him look like a unifying force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:35am At present, The Truss and familiars are setting up their ultra-neolib stall, inclusive of the nominations of various mythical enemies, such as "the enemies of growth" added to "the woke" and those pesky "climate fanatics". There is no general election yet so she can be as mad as she likes. All sorts of precedents will be set that will be very difficult to rescind. For example, she is at present intent on dismantling the civil service, from which many howls of pain and dismay are emanating. Benefit claimants are for it too. Watch the NHS left to rot and die over the next two years.

Come election time, there'll be more effective rabble rousers to distract "the people" from their various difficulties with eating, heating and shelter. The usual favourite is a war, in which some of those evil folk beginning at Calais can be vilified and made the evil enemy all troo patriots must fight, rather than criticising their patriotic leaders. Lizzy has a habit of making belligerent noises about various foreign enemies.

"Shock & Awe" in action.

Wait, watch and see.

Cugel
You overestimate her strengths. She is a rubbish orator. She doesn't have her MPs behind her. And her growth project, if it works at all, may take years to pay dividends. And while an election might be two years away, her party will not want to embark on the last twelve months of that with a very unpopular leader showing no sign of turning things around.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I don't know about you, but I'm definitely Trussed off.. Worst YouGov poll ratings of all time...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:16am
As I understand it, she means every other party, and the orthodox section of her own party that has steered economic policy for more than a decade. She is including the likes of Cameron, May and Johnson. Sunak must be in there too. Everyone not wanting immediate tax cuts.
And of course remainers, specifically mentioned. You're okay in her book, you're on the right side.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Exploiting new oil and gas fields is "radically at odds" with the UK's commitments to fight climate change, according to a new report.

Researchers from Global Energy Monitor (GEM) also calculated the greenhouse gas emissions if all the North Sea's reserves were extracted and burnt.

They said it would lead to the UK exceeding its legally binding carbon budget by almost two-fold.

A new licensing round for North Sea oil and gas is set to be launched soon.

The report looked at the reserves in the 21 largest North Sea oil and gas fields that have already been licensed and are awaiting final approval. It says that if those reserves were extracted and burnt it would release the equivalent of 920m tonnes of CO2. That's more than the total annual emissions of many countries.
Prime Minister Liz Truss says she is committed to reaching net zero emissions by 2050. But her government has also lifted a moratorium on fracking of shale gas and said it will award new licences for North Sea oil and gas.

"We are taking decisive action to reinforce our energy security," Ms Truss told the Conservative party conference.

"We are opening more gas fields in the North Sea and delivering more renewables and nuclear energy. That is how we will protect the great British environment, deliver on our commitment to net zero and tackle climate change," she said.

The International Energy Agency (IEA), the United Nations, and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) have warned there can be no new fossil fuel projects if there is to be any chance of keeping global temperature rises under 1.5 degrees.

Business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg has spoken of his desire to extract "every last drop" of North Sea oil. The GEM report also looked what the environmental consequences of that might be, estimating that if all undeveloped and undiscovered (currently unlicensed) oil and gas were extracted and burnt it would release the equivalent of 7,602m tonnes of CO2. That's more than the total UK carbon budget for the 14 years from 2023 to 2037.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63149957

If you oppose destroying our climate you are anti-growth!
Last edited by Mike Sales on 6 Oct 2022, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

cycle tramp wrote: 5 Oct 2022, 4:30pm .. right now I can see alot more people joining the Lib-Dems following this...
Desperate times indeed.
pwa

Post by pwa »

pete75 wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 9:18am
As I understand it, she means every other party, and the orthodox section of her own party that has steered economic policy for more than a decade. She is including the likes of Cameron, May and Johnson. Sunak must be in there too. Everyone not wanting immediate tax cuts.
And of course remainers, specifically mentioned. You're okay in her book, you're on the right side.
I don't want an unthinking drive towards lower taxes at all costs, which is her main focus. So no, I'm anti-growth in her book. Truss was a Remainer at the referendum, if you want to go off on that tack again. She now seems to sail under whatever flag is convenient.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:55am ......... She is a rubbish orator. She doesn't have her MPs behind her. And her growth project, if it works at all, may take years to pay dividends. And while an election might be two years away, her party will not want to embark on the last twelve months of that with a very unpopular leader showing no sign of turning things around.
Quite!
The Tory party is continuing it's tailspin to disaster that shows no signs of a way out,in fact it's spinning and diving faster than ever!
Toies very often portray the Labour party as divisive,indeed one of their strengths was(note,past tense)was showing a united front behind their lead no matter how bad s/he is,we're a month into the Truss lunacy and her own cabinet let alone an increasing number Tory MPs can't agree with mad ideas!
The worst thing,for them is she's the best on offer!

Time for the Labour party to contiue to expose these people for what they are and keep up the pressure! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

From 2014 she's been in the cabinet so I assume she includes herself in this anti-growth coalition as she was voting for all these "anti-growth measures" since 2014.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:55am
Cugel wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:35am At present, The Truss and familiars are setting up their ultra-neolib stall, inclusive of the nominations of various mythical enemies, such as "the enemies of growth" added to "the woke" and those pesky "climate fanatics". There is no general election yet so she can be as mad as she likes. All sorts of precedents will be set that will be very difficult to rescind. For example, she is at present intent on dismantling the civil service, from which many howls of pain and dismay are emanating. Benefit claimants are for it too. Watch the NHS left to rot and die over the next two years.

"Shock & Awe" in action.

Wait, watch and see.

Cugel
You overestimate her strengths. She is a rubbish orator. ...
That is the main thing I noticed seeing the excerpts from her speech on TV News. Ignoring the twaddle coming out of her mouth she comes across very badly, no "presence", nothing convincing (unless you are already "a believer"). She is really useless at standing-up and public speaking. Useless at interviews as well.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Things don't seem to be improving
https://www.newstatesman.com/quickfire/2022/10/abolish-inheritance-tax-criticise wrote:Rating agency Fitch downgrades UK credit outlook
Rating agency Fitch lowered the outlook for its credit rating for British government debt to “negative” from “stable” on Wednesday, citing risks posed by the measures announced in the chancellor’s mini-budget.

“The large and unfunded fiscal package announced as part of the new government’s growth plan could lead to a significant increase in fiscal deficits over the medium term,” Fitch said.

The downgraded outlook came just days after a similar move by rival ratings agency Standard & Poor’s. Fitch maintained its “AA-” credit rating for Britain, which is one notch lower than S&P’s.
Ian
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 10:02am
pete75 wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 9:18am
I don't want an unthinking drive towards lower taxes at all costs, which is her main focus. So no, I'm anti-growth in her book. Truss was a Remainer at the referendum, if you want to go off on that tack again. She now seems to sail under whatever flag is convenient.
Yes I know but she ain't now. No one as zealous as a convert. Once again an example of a brexit supporter causing division. Unlike you though, she's not anti immigrant , indeed she admires hard working east Europeans.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker