Investment Zones...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Investment Zones...

Post by Mick F »

cycle tramp wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:18pm It's been over seven years since I've last heard a cricket singing in the long grass. I've never once seen a glow worm and my life is poorer for it.
You're living in the wrong place. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jois wrote: 3 Oct 2022, 6:00pm ......I don't think anyone even the government wants to see it trashed, it doesn't have to be that way to achieve the aims as long as you don't consider a few building to be trashing it
They're making good job of trashing the economy presently and making to less well off suffer as a result,whilst removing the cap on bankers bonuses and attempting to reduce taxes for the richest in society,a society that' seen an exponential growth in the difference of the earnings of the richest and the poor.
Asociety that's seen such an exponential growth in foodbanks that I believe there are more of now than Mc Donalds,that working people are forced to use because they can't afford to live on their earnings!
A government that continually allows raw sewage to be pumped into our river systems and onto our beaches!
A government that allows it to be cheaper to fly up and down the country than use the train!
A government that nominates the sone of a Russian spy to sit in the House Of Lords!
A government that has allowed the NHS and care system to be cut to the bone!
And a thousand and one other things this despicable Tory government has allowed to happen and cashed in on as it went during the past 12 years.
What makes you think that such a government that has mismanged the country in such a way in favour of the rishest in it,give a damn about the environment or the ordinary wo/man on the street?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mick F wrote: 4 Oct 2022, 4:29pm One day, I will be dead.

Do I care about the future?

No.
Thankyou caller.

Now on Line 2 ...
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The RSPB, Wildlife Trusts and National Trusts are not political organisations, and their job is looking after the environment. They know about the laws and regulations which preserve our remaining green places. This Government has united them in protest.
The government has been accused of launching an “attack on nature” with its mini-budget, which conservationists warn could roll back environmental rules.

Groups including the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), the Wildlife Trusts and the National Trust have criticised plans, announced on Friday, to create 38 “investment zones” across England.

The announcement of the new areas by the chancellor, Kwasi Kwarteng, where planning rules will be loosened to release more land for commercial use and housing, will act as a “carte blanche” for development, leading conservation charities warned, and represent an “unprecedented attack on nature”.
“Make no mistake, we are angry. This government has today launched an attack on nature,” the RSPB tweeted. “As of today, from Cornwall to Cumbria, Norfolk to Nottingham, wildlife is facing one of the greatest threats it’s faced in decades.”

Making reference to a new bill introduced to parliament on Thursday, which could lead to the removal of EU environmental protections such as the Habitats Regulations, the charity added: “What the government has proposed in today’s mini-budget on top of yesterday’s announcements potentially tears up the most fundamental legal protections our remaining wildlife has.”

Beccy Speight, the charity’s chief executive, said: “Nature is already in trouble. Taken together, these announcements, combined with the rumoured watering down of the new land management schemes for farming, could be the final nail in its coffin.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -on-nature
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 7:43pm
cycle tramp wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 4:18pm It's been over seven years since I've last heard a cricket singing in the long grass. I've never once seen a glow worm and my life is poorer for it.
You're living in the wrong place. :wink:
CT is living in the right place but not cycling along the right roads. I used to see them regularly when cycling home from Hinkley to Cannington after work at 11.00pm. Claylands corner was one such area as was the first mile of road after one left the power station. They were like green Led's at the side of the road.

Warm summer evenings are the time to see them. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D