Cycle Parking at Local GP Surgery - help sought

g3cwi

Cycle Parking at Local GP Surgery - help sought

Post by g3cwi »

Hi all

I recently suggested to my local GP surgery (Macclesfield) that they might look to improving their facilities for cyclists. I use the surgery but I had never noticed any provision at all. They responded very positively and I met with them today. Turns out that they do have provision but if you enter via the rear of the building (as I do) you likely will not see it.

Staff can use a storage shed but most staff carry bikes upstarirs to offices or leave in internal stair wells. For staff they plan a new larger shed that will be dedicated to bike storage.

Patients have a rack installed by Cheshire East outside the front door. Too close to the wall and no CCTV. Not under shelter.
There is also an internal bike stand - also too close to the wall. This is near the exit and bikes have been stolen in the past. There is CCTV but the thieves use hoodies so no good. Apparently some undesirables gather near this rack drinking beer on the methodone day.

The Estates Manager said that they get people turning up without locks who ask the front desk staff to look after their bikes.

They have money and are willing to do something.

What should I be suggesting?

Cheers Richard

Carlton green

Re: Cycle Parking at Local GP Surgery - help sought

Post by Carlton green »

As the OP says the racks are too close to walls and that makes them difficult to use, the racks need to be moved slightly. A smaller number of useable racks is better than a larger number of unusable ones, I wonder about some single racks running parallel to the building’s walls, and others at say 45 degrees to it. So better use of the available space.

Racks near the rear entrance would be good. Racks that are painted white tend to be noticed, and perhaps they could be labelled cycle parking. I wouldn’t worry about cover above the racks, it’s very nice to have but a carrier bag over your saddle keeps it dry and a shelter might encourage people to loiter.

Patients asking someone to keep an eye on their bike is always going to be difficult, there are no easy answers but ultimately safe cycle storage can’t be within the scope of the Surgery’s responsibilities - sadly there has to be a limit somewhere. I think it good of the Surgery to try and organise cycle storage for patients - what they’re doing for their staff is great, but it’s also a separate issue.

CCTV and theft. Sadly there’s always someone who will take whatever you have, that’s life and sometimes it’s better to ride stuff that simply ain’t worth stealing.

That’s a start, I hope that the OP gets more answers and more useful answers.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Surveillance on the cycle racks, properly advertised 'these bicycles are under continous surveillance ' would probably work. It has worked wonders at our local superstore
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It all depends on where you live.

Often been to our local Surgery, and leant my bike against the wall ........... to the left of the front door.
No locks. Just left it there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52460 ... 384!8i8192

Rarely lock the car doors either, and often go out without locking the house.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Reference the above comments, take care what you reveal on a public forum!!
A Pootler

Post by A Pootler »

A GP practice very local to me used to have excellent cycle parking. Sheffield stands close to the entrance and installed so they were usable. A few years ago they successfully secured NHS money to extend their building and car park. I am sure the cynical of the forum can guess what happened next.

Where the cycle parking once stood, there is now an extra car parking space (not an assisted parking space either). No replacement cycle parking has been installed.

Frankly, I feel I need a GP appointment to discuss the impact of the above on my head. GPs tell their patients to be less sedentary, yet approved removal of the cycle parking. The NHS spent money designing out active, healthy travel. The local authority signed off a planning application for an approximately 50 space car park but imposed no requirement to install cycle parking. The developer failed to include the existing cycle parking in the planning application, but did tick the green and healthy box by noting how the practice was well located on local walking and cycling routes. Oh yeah, the trees that were chopped down for the extension will be replaced.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

SimonCelsa wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 8:53pm Reference the above comments, take care what you reveal on a public forum!!
Come on down! :D

It all depends (greatly) on where you live.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:

We know people and relations Up North - I'm a Lancastrian, and Mrs Mick F a Scouser - who lock their doors and their car (on their drive) even when they're in and at home. They wouldn't even dream of being even in their back gardens without locking their front doors.

I was brought up in the Wigan area in the 1950s.
Children played out in the streets all day when their parents were out. Neighbours looked after us kids, and they looked after the neighbourhood too.

Times have changed, but not all over the whole country.
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I agree totally with what you're saying and it's good you live in such a place. However you have no control who can read these posts and possibly act on them. It's not hard to find out where you live. I hope I'm not going to make you paranoid!!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Paranoid?
Me?
Not in the slightest.
Come on down, and visit. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I'm up in Inverness this past 20 years. My Mother and sisters are down in Weymouth. I cycled down there a couple of years ago so next time I do it I'll extend my journey a little and pop in and say hello - leave the key under the mat :wink: :wink:
g3cwi

Post by g3cwi »

Thanks for useful comments (very few being even slightly relevant). I have replied to the surgery with some suggestions. No further comments sought.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

g3cwi wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:45pm Thanks for useful comments (very few being even slightly relevant). I have replied to the surgery with some suggestions. No further comments sought.
Very very sorry for digressing. :oops:
The issue I was attempting to make, is that not everywhere is the same.
SimonCelsa wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:04pm I'm up in Inverness this past 20 years. My Mother and sisters are down in Weymouth. I cycled down there a couple of years ago so next time I do it I'll extend my journey a little and pop in and say hello - leave the key under the mat :wink: :wink:
Been to Inverness a few times, and spent many a "period" in Weymouth too.
When you make it down to Dorset, turn right and follow the coast. :D

Many yonks ago, I was doing a VERY long course in Fareham, Hants. Drove back and forth there from Plymstock via A38 Exeter/Honiton/Dorchester/Bridport/Southampton all on the Old Roads before the M27 was even thought about, let alone the Honiton, Dorchester and Bridport bypasses. Most weekends drove home to Plymstock.

Took my bike(s) to Fareham, and often spent a happy afternoon off riding round Hampshire and into the New Forrest and even to Sailsbury Plain .......... let alone heading into Sussex and Brighton.
Mick F. Cornwall
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

A really useful design guide here: https://www.camcycle.org.uk/files/resou ... gguide.pdf
It covers a lot of accessibility issues so particularly appropriate for a medical centre.
gaz

Post by gaz »

g3cwi wrote: 6 Oct 2022, 10:49amWhat should I be suggesting?
Suggest they look at https://www.bicycleassociation.org.uk/parkingstandard/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade