New Wahoo Roam

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
brianleach

New Wahoo Roam

Post by brianleach »

I really like the Roam as a quite simple to use bike computer.

I was therefore tempted by the new model with the brighter screen which I thought would be easier on my 73 year old eyes.

Looks to be a mistake although I haven't been able to use the screen really yet as it seems to be impossible to pair the device without inserting your credit it card details to set up a wahoo account (which of course I already have , I've been using the Mark 1 version for years). Don't worry they say we wont be taking any money. In that case why do I need to enter it, it is quite unecessaary.

I am in contact with support but if that is the only way to pair the phone then I shall send it back for a refund.
oldtimer99

Re: New Wahoo Roam

Post by oldtimer99 »

Pls forgive my jumping on your post.

I have a wahoo roam (not the new version).
Love it apart from the altitude and ascent/descent readings.
The other day I rode at an altitude of -29 feet (my house is just about at sea level) and my ascent and descent readings are never equal and can be really silly (ascent 120m, descent 230m) for instance.
Is your wahoo (or anyone elses equally inept...and is the new one any better?
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Sorry I can't help. I live on a steep hill and Hampshire is pretty hilly generally. Not Yorkshire hilly but still plenty of up and down so I have no way of knowing how accurate the figures on the wahoo are!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It’s not just Wahoo’s that are inaccurate on altitude. My Garmin 520 Plus never gives the same reading as my wife’s 530, when we both do the same ride. Also, it quite often gives an altitude that’s below sea level but we live 40m above sea level. I think it’s because they rely on barometric pressure, which can vary quite a bit over time.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

That's interesting. I wonder why Strava does it right...some magic presumably.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

oldtimer99 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 1:40pm That's interesting. I wonder why Strava does it right...some magic presumably.
Perhaps they use mapping data.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If it's barometric, it (should?) needs to be regularly reset to current conditions. It could sit on your table and go up and down as pressure changes.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

These are FAQs from Wahoo, looks like one device at a time per account if I read correctly:

Q. Can I connect more than one Wahoo ELEMNT to the Ride app?

No. Currently, the Ride app only allows users to connect one Wahoo ELEMNT to their account.

Q. How can I make the Ride app forget a Wahoo ELEMNT that I have previously connected?

iOS: From the Ride app, navigate to the Gear tab and swipe left on the Wahoo cell. Tap the Delete area.

Android: From the Ride app, navigate to the Gear tab and tap on the three dot icon on the right of the Wahoo cell. Tap Delete.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Many thanks. It is not intuitive in my view. My mistake was using a QR app. Once the existing device is unpaired the Roam app comes up with its own code reader and finds the new device without a problem!!
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

brianleach wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:09pm Many thanks. It is not intuitive in my view. My mistake was using a QR app. Once the existing device is unpaired the Roam app comes up with its own code reader and finds the new device without a problem!!
Thanks for posting, it doesn't sound at all intuitive but good to know there is a way of doing it.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Looking at the original bar code it does refer to "the companion app" which is a clue I suppose.

The next issue referring to a thread on another board I think is that it no longer seems to have the ability to display the current temperature. I'm guessing it has been discontinued.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Used for the first time at the weekend. The display is definitely clearer but otherwise pretty much the same. My original model now for sale!!!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 1:50pm If it's barometric, it (should?) needs to be regularly reset to current conditions. It could sit on your table and go up and down as pressure changes.
My Garmin looks like it does an auto calibrate when you start recording a ride - press start and message pop-up "Altitude auto-calibrated ..." (or words to that effect).

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

oldtimer99 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 12:24pm ...
I have a wahoo roam (not the new version).
Love it apart from the altitude and ascent/descent readings.
The other day I rode at an altitude of -29 feet (my house is just about at sea level) and my ascent and descent readings are never equal and can be really silly (ascent 120m, descent 230m) for instance.
Is your wahoo (or anyone elses equally inept...and is the new one any better?
My Garmin (circular route returning to start point) invariably records different ascent and descent numbers but nothing like as bad as those. Generally <12% difference. My iPhone (MapOut) recording a track gets identical ascent and descent but that is based on altitude calculations from mapping.

Ian