help to fix - how to re-attach derailleur

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Nadie0212

help to fix - how to re-attach derailleur

Post by Nadie0212 »

Good morning, apologies in advance if this has been asked before, the SEARCH function is not working in my browser.
(I’m not bike savvy, but I fix other things).
I’ve been given this bike, the only problem is that the derailleur is detached from the frame.
I’m obviously missing a part here, what is the name of the piece that holds the derailleur in place?
And what hole or place should be the one to use to attach it to the frame?

(I wonder if this bike was not mean to have a quick release in the rear axel, and this is the actual problem??)

Thanks in advance.

cycle tramp

Re: help to fix - how to re-attach derailleur

Post by cycle tramp »

The missing piece you're looking for is called the derailleur hanger. They come in a multitude of shapes. What's the make & model of your bike?
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

What Cycle tramp said. It will fix through the round hole just above the quick release by way of a large flat Allen keyed Nut and bolt . The top mounting screw is also missing from the derailleur in the picture, it screws into the gear hanger. And Cycle tramp is correct there are lots if different Ines, you need the one that 'belongs' to your frame.
Will

Post by Will »

I'm no expert on such matters, but it looks to me like this frame is designed for a through axle (the big hole is where the axel comes through and screws into a thread in the derailleur hanger). I think the quick release is using a hole that is used to attach the hanger to the frame.

Does the bike have rear dropouts, or is the skewer going through a hole?

The derailleur hanger is designed to be the weak point, so if you drop the bike on the drive side the derailleur will break rather than let the much more expensive derailleur take the full force of the impact. As mentioned previously, you need to get the correct derailleur for the bike (they come in many different shapes). If I am right (and the frame is designed for a through axle) then you may not be able to use the existing wheel with the hanger fitted.

Will
Nadie0212

Post by Nadie0212 »

Thank you for all your responses. You are being very helpful!
The bike is a Giant Escape 3 (2014).

Now, I’m missing 2 parts here: hanger and the screw/nut/bolt to attach the actual derailleur

Edit:
Is there a web where I can find the exact parts? When I need parts for my motorbike I just input the maker/model/year and I get a full list, if that makes sense.

Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

All the bits can be found on e bay I believe.
Will I am afraid you are wrong .
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Barrowman wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:55pm All the bits can be found on e bay I believe.
Will I am afraid you are wrong .
But to be fair to Will, it wasn't all that clear. The mounting hole could have been a mount for a thru' axle with the derailleur mount then attached to the axle itself..

..Will thanks for posting. I've been posting here for a long time. I think I'm averaging something like 50% in correct responses :-)
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Nadie0212 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:49pm Thank you for all your responses. You are being very helpful!

Is there a web where I can find the exact parts? When I need parts for my motorbike I just input the maker/model/year and I get a full list
I'd try giant's own website first. All being well they should have a list of what derailleur hangers fit which frame.
Nadie0212

Post by Nadie0212 »

cycle tramp wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 4:21pm
Nadie0212 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:49pm Thank you for all your responses. You are being very helpful!

Is there a web where I can find the exact parts? When I need parts for my motorbike I just input the maker/model/year and I get a full list
I'd try giant's own website first. All being well they should have a list of what derailleur hangers fit which frame.
No luck so far. One would expect that the maker of the bike would have that info.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Nadie0212 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:02pm

No luck so far. One would expect that the maker of the bike would have that info.
Try
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12773126-Der ... 4165327927
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

That's a strange set up.
I wonder if that bronze coloured piece of metal between the rear end and the freewheel (doesn't look like a cassette) is the hanger (or part of it). Your derailleur seems to be missing it's mounting bolt for fixing derailleur to hanger.

If you can ascertain the pattern there is a company who sell all sorts of gear hanger.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

ANTONISH wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:26pm That's a strange set up.
I wonder if that bronze coloured piece of metal between the rear end and the freewheel (doesn't look like a cassette) is the hanger (or part of it). Your derailleur seems to be missing it's mounting bolt for fixing derailleur to hanger.

If you can ascertain the pattern there is a company who sell all sorts of gear hanger.
It one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-5569-7 ... th=1&psc=1
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Nadie0212 wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:02pm

I think this is the one you want.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111876649051 ... 0846589107
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Are you sure it's a Giant Escape 3 (2014) ??
Simply because it looks like the Escape 3 takes a different shaped hanger from the shape of your dropouts.
After a lot of Google-fu, it looks like a "Hanger 39" will fit the shape of your dropouts.
From what I can read it's held in place by a long M8 chainring bolt.

Luck .......... :D
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

ANTONISH wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 6:26pm That's a strange set up.
I wonder if that bronze coloured piece of metal between the rear end and the freewheel (doesn't look like a cassette) is the hanger (or part of it).
that's actually part of the frame, the dropout in fact, that the hanger sits up against when its fitted, normally its hidden by the gear hanger.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!