Are we all Trussed up...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Are we all Trussed up...

Post by reohn2 »

EEK! :lol: :lol: :lol: or should that be :shock: :shock: :shock: :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Has anyone watched the series? I’m just curious to know what’s going to happen to us all.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 1:20pm The Guardian and others have noticed that Truss wasn't dressed as a Thatcher tribute for her conference speech, but in a slightly oranger version of a dress worn in the Years and Years TV drama by "Vivienne Rook, an outspoken British celebrity businesswoman turned populist politician whose controversial opinions divide the nation." A fascist, according to some.

Surely this wasn't a coincidence, any more than the Thatcher bow outfit for the debate was?
I don't know of Vivienne Rook but shock horror if Daggers has given-up doing her Thatcher Fancy Dress image. The end of the Pussy Bow? People might stop seeing her as a Thatcher reboot (or Thatcher 2.0). Maybe as she's now got the job she wanted she no longer has to keep-up with the Thatcher impersonations.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:04pm Has anyone watched the series? I’m just curious to know what’s going to happen to us all.
We're all going to die!
It's what happens between now and then that matters most! :wink:
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Nearholmer wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 3:04pm Has anyone watched the series? I’m just curious to know what’s going to happen to us all.
Millions did. It was described as "dystopian" in several reviews, but I suspect Truss likes some of the ideas. I expect it's on DVD and some streaming services. BBC iPlayer doesn't have it but the website has some clips like https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07c6727
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

IQ test to decide who can vote?

I nearly joined Mensa some years ago, as my IQ is quite high and took their test. I didn't bother to join. Sorry, can't remember the score. It was back in 1992 or something.

Maybe we with a high IQs should get two votes?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

What makes you think that having a high IQ as measured in those narrowly-specific tests should give you privileges?

If IQ does actually measure anything useful, and I’ve always had my doubts, then having a high IQ will have conferred advantage on you throughout your life, so you don’t need any more.

(Apologies, I’m taking it all too seriously again.)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly! :D

It would seem that the post I was alluding to has gone.

I was commenting on that post regarding being only able to vote if you had a "decent" IQ.
Silly idea.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 8:08pm It would seem that the post I was alluding to has gone.
Using the quote button to reply would reduce the risk of posts being left like that, making you look like you supported a policy of a fascist from a satire without prompting.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

mjr wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 1:20pm The Guardian and others have noticed that Truss wasn't dressed as a Thatcher tribute for her conference speech, but in a slightly oranger version of a dress worn in the Years and Years TV drama by "Vivienne Rook, an outspoken British celebrity businesswoman turned populist politician whose controversial opinions divide the nation." A fascist, according to some.

Surely this wasn't a coincidence, any more than the Thatcher bow outfit for the debate was?
Here's Truss wearing the same dress at the 2018 budget, 7 months before the TV series was broadcast. Looks like Thompson copied Truss.
(There's also a 2018 copy of the Guardian with a picture of her wearing that dress.)
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mjr

Post by mjr »

axel_knutt wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 12:01am

Here's Truss wearing the same dress at the 2018 budget, 7 months before the TV series was broadcast. Looks like Thompson copied Truss.
(There's also a 2018 copy of the Guardian with a picture of her wearing that dress.)
Then I'm sure someone would have told Team Truss it had been used in the drama and she wore it anyway!

And I doubt Thompson decided on the dress. I expect there was a costume/wardrobe team.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 9:54pm
Mick F wrote: 7 Oct 2022, 8:08pm It would seem that the post I was alluding to has gone.
Using the quote button to reply would reduce the risk of posts being left like that, making you look like you supported a policy of a fascist from a satire without prompting.
Yes, I know.
Dunno why I didn't quote.
Mick F. Cornwall
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

And I doubt Thompson decided on the dress. I expect there was a costume/wardrobe team.
In which case, very clever, because they’ve taken ‘populist female politician’ and dialled everything up a couple of notches.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nearholmer wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 8:22am
In which case, very clever, because they’ve taken ‘populist female politician’ and dialled everything up a couple of notches.
Like politricks it is theatre after all,though in the case of Thompson she's the far better actor :wink:
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

reohn2 wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 9:36am
Nearholmer wrote: 8 Oct 2022, 8:22am
Like politricks it is theatre after all,though in the case of Thompson she's the far better actor :wink:
I think it was Gore Vidal who said, "Politics is show business for the ugly."

Another quotation:-
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. John Kenneth Galbraith
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?