Rural road safety research

Ron

Re: Rural road safety research

Post by Ron »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 9 Oct 2022, 4:52pm The "rural" is slightly misleading. It implies, to an English mind, a country lane. But in this case it seems to refer to main roads in non-built up areas.
Yes, there is differing usage, lanes to me are narrow access roads often poorly surfaced usually straight and between buildings in an urban
setting.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 2 Oct 2022, 3:20pm Vorpal will be along in a minute to tell us about the one in the Norwegian tunnel. :D
Cyclists are often not allowed in tunnels. the road replaced by the tunnel is sometimes a good alternative, but those often go over mountains, where tunnels go through, so they are more difficult, harder to keep open in bad weather, etc. On the other hand, even well ventilated tunnels have air that's not nice to breathe.

I think that the design principles are somewhat different. I've never been to Spain, but in the south of Norway, they mostly either have segregated paths, or a speed limit that is suitable for the road conditions, including likelihood of vulnerable users.

The exceptions are generally major rural roads, like E roads. There are usually, but not always alternatives.

I have to wonder, though, if the variable speed limits + sensors, might be better used where cyclists are less common? If cyclists use a road frequently, drivers generally expect to see them, whereas roads that are used occasionally by cyclists, drivers may be less likely to expect them & not as prepared to slow down?

Also, where cyclists are common, the speed limits should generally be lower (max 50 kph).

I will be interested to see how this trial goes, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I recall reading of a tunnel which has a button for cyclists to press at its entrance. Once the button is pressed, a light flashes warning drivers that there is a cyclist or cyclists in the tunnel. I can't remember if there's another button to press when you leave the tunnel or if it just works on a timer. I'm pretty sure it was relatively low tech, no sensors. And it might have been Sweden rather than Norway.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 3:43pm I recall reading of a tunnel which has a button for cyclists to press at its entrance. Once the button is pressed, a light flashes warning drivers that there is a cyclist or cyclists in the tunnel. I can't remember if there's another button to press when you leave the tunnel or if it just works on a timer. I'm pretty sure it was relatively low tech, no sensors. And it might have been Sweden rather than Norway.
That system in Norway, with plans for extension:
https://arcticcycling.no/cycling-in-tunnels/

Jonathan